Jans’ Crew Adjusted Defense % Checking in at 8 on KenPom

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
He definitely has a high floor. Let’s hope he has a high ceiling as well. I’m impressed with him so far. He does what you expect a coach to do and that is COACH.
I'm kind of thinking basketball is a sport where we can get a high return on NIL money now. If we had one legit perimeter scorer, this team would be extremely dangerous. Makes it a lot easier to compete if we only need to compete on one or two players for big NIL money.

Reactions: BonzoGoesToCollege

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Beautiful stuff from my boy.

As well as they're playing D, I'm going to forgive the lapses on offense. It's obvious they've spent a ton of time working on all things defense.

I think the offense will come as they get more confident in their MO. I could see this team morphing into a very confident group that feeds off that D.

And I think this is the right model for basketball success at MSU. I (and I'm sure others) thought we were getting it with Howland, but we just didn't.

Bennett at UVA had proven you can compete for national titles playing great defense.

garddog

Dec 10, 2008
Haven't seen this much defensive intensity with a State team since the 90's.

Reminds me of the intensity back when Greg and Cameron played.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Beautiful stuff from my boy.

Watching the game last night was such an odd experience. On one hand, it was such an awful display of offense from both teams, but it was also weirdly entertaining because every made basket seemed like such a big deal.

I'm still going to need a larger sample size before getting to excited, but I like what I'm seeing so far.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Outside the Won-Loss Record, I have no idea what the rest of those numbers represent. Would like to know what they mean. As someone else said, Defense Travels. And it's also reliable while depending on hot shooting alone can be a gamble. If we improve on shooting, this team's gonna be dangerous.

Go here and click on KEY. It will give a basic definition of each column...

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
As well as they're playing D, I'm going to forgive the lapses on offense. It's obvious they've spent a ton of time working on all things defense.

I think the offense will come as they get more confident in their MO. I could see this team morphing into a very confident group that feeds off that D.

And I think this is the right model for basketball success at MSU. I (and I'm sure others) thought we were getting it with Howland, but we just didn't.

Bennett at UVA had proven you can compete for national titles playing great defense.
I am still shocked at the lack of success Ben Howland had. Even though the results were mediocre, I guess he must have been doing a pretty decent job of coaching defense even if his commitment to man to man hurt at times. I don't think Jans could have them playing at this level on defense already if there weren't some good fundamentals in place already.

Reactions: She Mate Me
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login