Weather nerds........Milton

OopsICroomedmypants

Sep 29, 2022
Both. Cloud seeding doesn't mean you can create and steer a hurricane. Assuming you could (you can't) and our FAARA overlords had nefarious intent, there would have been a cat 5 stalled out over Mar-a-Lago yesterday, today, tomorrow, and next week.
Thanks. Now I understand

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Milton should weaken before it hits FL. It is currently taking advantage of near perfect conditions to rapidly intensify, but as it gets closer to FL it is forecast to encounter some pretty significant wind shear which would serve to weaken at least some. It is still forecast to be a major hurricane but shouldn't be a 5 at landfall.
That’s what all the local Tampa and Orlando weather guys are saying too. My family is at Disney now. We got here before they were sure exactly what this storm would do. By the time they figured it out, a flight out was virtually impossible.

I grew up in Tampa, so I’ve been through a few of these. Typically, as far inland as Orlando is usually fine… but I’m still concerned. I’m more concerned for friends and family in Tampa though. That is a town with a flooding problem anyway and looks like the worst of this storm will be the surge.

TNT.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
Milton should weaken before it hits FL. It is currently taking advantage of near perfect conditions to rapidly intensify, but as it gets closer to FL it is forecast to encounter some pretty significant wind shear which would serve to weaken at least some. It is still forecast to be a major hurricane but shouldn't be a 5 at landfall.
It can weaken and still be the most costly and destructive hurricane of all time simply due to where it makes landfall. The insurance industry is about to have a real stress test. Tampa is the ONE city that they never wanted to see take a direct hit. We're also about to see just how robust the worldwide reinsurance industry is. Lloyds hasn't seen anything like this. Capital may be hard to come by for new reinsurance purchases next year.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
That’s what all the local Tampa and Orlando weather guys are saying too. My family is at Disney now. We got here before they were sure exactly what this storm would do. By the time they figured it out, a flight out was virtually impossible.

I grew up in Tampa, so I’ve been through a few of these. Typically, as far inland as Orlando is usually fine… but I’m still concerned. I’m more concerned for friends and family in Tampa though. That is a town with a flooding problem anyway and looks like the worst of this storm will be the surge.
Of the major models the ICON had Ian farther south than anyone else in 2022 and they were correct. They are saying the same on this storm with it coming in south of Venice. I wouldn't advise anyone to make their plans based on this but just sayin.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
If Democrats could control hurricanes, it would be a far smarter political move to prevent this one from hitting land (or at least making it weaker) than the reverse. Can you imagine the polling bump Harris would get if she announced she was canceling the hurricane and then did it?
Please go away with this crap.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
Please go away with this crap.
I think you meant to quote the people on this thread who think the government is controlling the hurricanes?

I'm just trying to demonstrate how unlikely that is to be true, as the government would behave in the total opposite way if it were.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
I think you meant to quote the people on this thread who think the government is controlling the hurricanes?

I'm just trying to demonstrate how unlikely that is to be true, as the government would behave in the total opposite way if it were.
Preface: I don’t believe the gubmint controls the weather.

Do you really think if the govt is controlling the wx, that they would actually prove it or keep it under wraps so that they could do what they want and just blame nature or “man-made global warming” to push an agenda?

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008

Do you really think if the govt is controlling the wx, that they would actually prove it or keep it under wraps so that they could do what they want and just blame nature or “man-made global warming” to push an agenda?
Yes?

I don't think the government is run by sociopathic evil people, even when Trump was in charge.

And more cynically, any president who could cancel severe weather forever and then follow through would be enormously popular.

Reactions: Crazy Cotton

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Yes?

I don't think the government is run by sociopathic evil people, even when Trump was in charge.

And more cynically, any president who could cancel severe weather forever and then follow through would be enormously popular.

It is not entirely populated by sociopathic evil 17's, but you best believe a few who truly fit that description have climbed the ranks to some powerful spots.

Reactions: WilCoDawg

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Yes?

man, stop arguing with anyone who doesn't have any more sense than to say things like the government controls the weather.

Just treat them like you would a 5 year old saying the same: laugh at them, and go about your day. You absolutely don't have to treat it like an idea worthy of consideration.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007

IMO a government that can control weather would be far more transparent and threatening with it. It's simply too much power and wouldn't be a vague man behind the curtains approach trying to convince people global warming is their fault etc etc. It would be a near zero cost military. And the strongest the planet has ever seen. You do what I say? Congrats. You get perfect weather for a healthy safe and thriving society/agriculture. You get out of line? Enjoy your famine, fires, floods, hurricanes, tornados. Controlling the weather would make you more powerful than any God that has ever been worshiped (at least as it relates to tangible actions on Earth).

Reactions: msstatelp1

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Nuts? That guy is looney tunes. He makes a flat earther look like Copernicus. That dude is dead. I hope someone with some sense talks him out of that.

He may truly be an idiot. Or he may be someone seeking extreme levels of attention, got to get those social media clicks and follower numbers up

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
man, stop arguing with anyone who doesn't have any more sense than to say things like the government controls the weather.

Just treat them like you would a 5 year old saying the same: laugh at them, and go about your day. You absolutely don't have to treat it like an idea worthy of consideration.
I agree with this principle often, but when you have members of Congress making this accusation, and some of the most watched pundits in the media saying it, it's got to be taken on directly or there will be tens of millions of Americans believing it.

A scientific argument isn't going to convince anyone, so I think a logical one is best - the government's behavior does not align with with how a government who could control the weather would act.

Reactions: dorndawg

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I agree with this principle often, but when you have members of Congress making this accusation, and some of the most watched pundits in the media saying it, it's got to be taken on directly or there will be tens of millions of Americans believing it.

A scientific argument isn't going to convince anyone, so I think a logical one is best - the government's behavior does not align with with how a government who could control the weather would act.
If they had any grasp of logic...

Reactions: Pars

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Maybe I'm a little extreme but to be living anywhere much less that area this time of year and not having access to fuel is inconceivable to me. Hell I live in Starkville and I keep 40 gallons of fuel with stabilizer in it year round (keep it for 6 months, empty it into a vehicle or mower and fill cans again). Even in my low MPG pickup that's 680 miles I can go with that gas or use for chainsaws, generator, etc. I've got emergency ca$h if the ATMs are emptied like grocery shelves. I crank my generator 3 or 4 times a year. I've got 10 gallons of water in 2 water containers plus a Life Straw that will filter up to 5,000 gallons of lake or creek water making it drinkable before needing to be replaced. I've got enough canned goods under beds in flat totes to last for weeks. I've got 4 propane tanks and 3 burners I can cook on in an emergency or also have gas stove in the house. This is just common sense as far as I'm concerned for hurricanes, tornadoes, snow/ice storms, or that day when we all wake up and all ATMs are down and bank computers are hacked.

Last edited:

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Maybe I'm a little extreme but to be living anywhere much less that area this time of year and not having access to fuel is inconceivable to me. Hell I live in Starkville and I keep 40 gallons of fuel with stabilizer in it year round (keep it for 6 months, empty it into a vehicle or mower and fill cans again). Even in my low MPG pickup that's 680 miles I can go with that gas or use for chainsaws, generator, etc. I've got emergency ca$h if the ATMs are emptied like grocery shelves. I crank my generator 3 or 4 times a year. I've got 10 gallons of water in 2 water containers plus a Life Straw that will filter up to 5,000 gallons of lake or creek water making it drinkable before needing to be replaced. I've got enough canned goods under beds in flat totes to last for weeks. I've got 4 propane tanks and 3 burners I can cook on in an emergency or also have gas stove. This is just common sense as far as I'm concerned for hurricanes, tornadoes, snow/ice storms, or that day when we all wake up and all ATMs are down and bank computers are hacked.
I could probably do a better job of keeping cash around, but it's wild to me how many otherwise responsible grown-ups couldn't make it 48 hours in a situation where they are going to have to make do with what they have on hand. Much less a couple weeks.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Maybe I'm a little extreme...
Sarcastic Joke GIF

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
Yes?

I disagree on most of this but thanks for playing my hypothetical game I guess I’ve watched too many movies to actually trust our overlords.
But to be clear, it wouldn’t really be the president that’s popular as much as the agency as that project would be worked on through several terms.

Reactions: OopsICroomedmypants

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012

He was playing a hypothetical game with me, Nancy. I hope this was just a bad reply on your part, bc there was no arguing. I guess it was hard to see from way up high on that horse.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I could probably do a better job of keeping cash around, but it's wild to me how many otherwise responsible grown-ups couldn't make it 48 hours in a situation where they are going to have to make do with what they have on hand. Much less a couple weeks.

I have a REALLY hard time making my wife stay out of the cash stash. I have to let her know where it is for obvious reasons, but damn she is forever going in there and grabbing a $20 spot here, a $40 spot there, or needs a couple hundred when she's driving to see the grand kids in case she has a breakdown or whatever. All legit needs but damn stop at the ATM on the way out of town and leave the stash alone. I will go in there and half of it will be gone sometimes, drives me insane.

Reactions: dorndawg
Feb 7, 2024
Both. Cloud seeding doesn't mean you can create and steer a hurricane. Assuming you could (you can't) and our FAARA overlords had nefarious intent, there would have been a cat 5 stalled out over Mar-a-Lago yesterday, today, tomorrow, and next week.
Unless the trump hate is just part of the distraction…

Arnept

Nov 26, 2023
It's insane how hurricanes have become political.

Anyone spreading some ******** rhetoric about Milton and hurricanes in general is endangering lives.

Reactions: msstatelp1

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
What did people do for centuries before global warming was invented?
Use less C02. They didn't drive cars either. I don't think they had TikTok either. I think they lived differently if I'm not mistaken and there were fewer people. They didn't live as long but I think that's because they were vaccinated***
Seriously, do most people who think there's no such thing as climate change, with part of it is because of how we live, because they studied the science and think scientists are idiots? Or is it because of some crazy policy responses proposed by far lefties?

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022

The government controls the weather and also made a bunch of people in Florida get vaxxed. Sadly some will die and we won't know whether it was the hurricane or the vaccine***

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
And I thought insurance companies had too much control over my life before this storm. Living along the coast just keeps getting more expensive.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login