Jans on Jackson MSU crowd.....

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
"Chris Jans says Mississippi State crowd was 'awesome' in Jackson State win". Jans hasn't talked about crowd size very much in Starkville.....wonder why? He does recognize that fan support means everything in helping his team win. We are 10-0 and if we're only going to put in 3-5K every game in the HUMP, then don't expect our program to advance and also we run the risk of being another stepping stone for Jans to a blueblood school. I plan to go to the Nicholls St. game this Saturday. Based on what we've seen so far this year, there ought to be 10,000 packed like sardines into the HUMP. I may even take my young grandson with me. Do your part, be at the game Saturday. Let's show coach we're ready to return to the big time.

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
Need strong showing for Alabama game on 12/28 and UM game on 1/7 since students will not be back.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
This brings up an additional topic. If there was ever a project we needed to undertake in Jackson, it's a nice, multi-use arena.

We DON'T need the Vet or another multi-use outdoor venue. State needs to help JSU build their on-campus stadium, bulldoze the Vet and let the hospital do their thing.

We DON'T need another baseball stadium (the current one in Pearl is fine, these are damn boondoggles anyway).

We DON'T need to fix up the MS Coliseum....it is good for it's main use, which is Ag stuff (fair, rodeo, etc.).

This may be something Flowood should look into out by the airport. Would be nice to play a lot of midweek basketball games in Jackson. And now, with the flag, no reason we can't host NCAA games. But Jackson is a basketball town, or was in the past, so it really needs to go downtown (protected by the capital district) somewhere and be an anchor.

I've always thought MSU basketball should embrace the Jackson basketball scene.

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014
I'll be at the game vs UM bringing my wife and 2 kids. I'll also be at the Texas A&M game with them as well.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
This brings up an additional topic. If there was ever a project we needed to undertake in Jackson, it's a nice, multi-use arena.

We DON'T need the Vet or another multi-use outdoor venue. State needs to help JSU build their on-campus stadium, bulldoze the Vet and let the hospital do their thing.

We DON'T need another baseball stadium (the current one in Pearl is fine, these are damn boondoggles anyway).

We DON'T need to fix up the MS Coliseum....it is good for it's main use, which is Ag stuff (fair, rodeo, etc.).

Anything new should be outside of Jackson.

Reactions: onewoof

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
What’s this WE sh@t?
Jackson is still your capital city. And it directly affects the state of Mississippi, which in turn directly affects Mississippi State. If you care about State, you should care about Mississippi and Jackson.

I'm not saying you have to financially support Kenny Stokes. I'm saying that it's in our best interest for Jackson to have a viable district from which the Metro area can grow.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Jackson is still your capital city. And it directly affects the state of Mississippi, which in turn directly affects Mississippi State. If you care about State, you should care about Mississippi and Jackson.

I'm not saying you have to financially support Kenny Stokes. I'm saying that it's in our best interest for Jackson to have a viable district from which the Metro area can grow.
Question: why should we care about Jackson when people IN Jackson don't care about Jackson? Why should we support capital improvements in Jackson when the leadership down there can't be trusted to manage the projects and funding responsibly?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Question: why should we care about Jackson when people IN Jackson don't care about Jackson? Why should we support capital improvements in Jackson when the leadership down there can't be trusted to manage the projects and funding responsibly?
I just explained why in post #9.

Perhaps the key is to get other people into Jackson, rather than change the people who are currently there. I know, that's crazy talk to you tunnel-vision folks. But it doesn't have to be you, or I, or anybody we know. The key is to at least foster an environment that may attract SOME people who want an urban lifestyle. This can be done without the current citizens of Jackson. I will admit one thing - they absolutely have to get rid of Chockwe, good Lord he sucks.

It happened in Birmingham, who, 20 years ago, had (and still has) the very same problems Jackson has. It started with a mayor who just wasn't absolutely woke-*** terrible. The capital district is a good move too.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022

1. The people in Jackson don't want help. They refuse help. They elect idiots.
2. The coliseum is one of the worst places I've ever watched a basketball game. It's too big, it echos, it's dark. At least they put in new seats a couple years ago.
3. Jackson is a basketball recruiting hotbed in MS. That's the only reason to play basketball there.

XBLDawg

Mar 20, 2014

This may be something Flowood should look into out by the airport. Would be nice to play a lot of midweek basketball games in Jackson. And now, with the flag, no reason we can't host NCAA games. But Jackson is a basketball town, or was in the past, so it really needs to go downtown (protected by the capital district) somewhere and be an anchor.

I've always thought MSU basketball should embrace the Jackson basketball scene.
At this point, a new arena in Jackson would be a waste.

We have the Brandon Amphitheater for music acts. We don't really need an indoor arena to bring in even MORE country music.

The coliseum is fine for rodeos, rasslin, monster truck and Disney on Ice.

There is no reason to spend hundreds of millions for a new arena to bring in a few basketball games a year.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
At this point, a new arena in Jackson would be a waste.

We have the Brandon Amphitheater for music acts. We don't really need an indoor arena to bring in even MORE country music.

The coliseum is fine for rodeos, rasslin, monster truck and Disney on Ice.

There is no reason to spend hundreds of millions for a new arena to bring in a few basketball games a year.
These are good points. And what I meant in my first post above, is if ever ever do anything.......an arena is what it should be.

But you are correct that there may not ever really even be a true need for one, but we need to go that route before thinking about any of these other boondoggles.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
If we can fill the HUMP or at least get close to full for Nicholls State, the Jans will realize he made the right decision to come to MSU.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022

Perhaps the key is to get other people into Jackson, rather than change the people who are currently there. I know, that's crazy talk to you tunnel-vision folks. But it doesn't have to be you, or I, or anybody we know. The key is to at least foster an environment that may attract SOME people who want an urban lifestyle. This can be done without the current citizens of Jackson. I will admit one thing - they absolutely have to get rid of Chockwe, good Lord he sucks.

It happened in Birmingham, who, 20 years ago, had (and still has) the very same problems Jackson has. It started with a mayor who just wasn't absolutely woke-*** terrible. The capital district is a good move too.
Agree 100%, it can happen, and that it starts with new leadership. There are some people working on improving Jackson, even in the face of the doomsayers. I do have hope in two of the early mayoral candidates. 1 Republican/1 Democrat. So we have two chances for Chokwe to get ousted. If either of them can somehow break through the wall that's been erected around city hall, Jackson can change for the better.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012

I don't know why you can't resist getting personal over an attempt at asking legitimate questions.

I'll just leave it with this...you aren't going to get people to move to Jackson. It's not tunnel-vision. It's a statement of fact. It's a 5hithole and the people there want it to be a 5hithole because they've been electing crooks and criminals for decades now. It's a collection of citizens that literally do not know what's good for them or what's in their best interests, and they vote accordingly. Nothing about that is attractive to folks looking to relocate to or invest in. You don't fix that by throwing money for capital investments at it and hope that this time will be different and it will be managed responsibly. On top of that, this isn't a "if you build it they will come" scenario. Hearts and minds need to be changed in the Jackson voting base. That's where all of this starts and if you want to dramatically impact the city for the better, that's what should be the focus of efforts.

And for the folks looking to pile on about politics, it's not about electing republicans instead of democrats. Plenty of good democrats out there. It's about having some fiscal and ethical responsibility and embracing candidates who have a strategic vision for turning the city around, even if it requires some difficult decisions in the short term.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I don't know why you can't resist getting personal over an attempt at asking legitimate questions.

I'll just leave it with this...you aren't going to get people to move to Jackson. It's not tunnel-vision. It's a statement of fact. It's a 5hithole and the people there want it to be a 5hithole because they've been electing crooks and criminals for decades now. It's a collection of citizens that literally do not know what's good for them or what's in their best interests, and they vote accordingly. Nothing about that is attractive to folks looking to relocate to or invest in. You don't fix that by throwing money for capital investments at it and hope that this time will be different and it will be managed responsibly. On top of that, this isn't a "if you build it they will come" scenario. Hearts and minds need to be changed in the Jackson voting base. That's where all of this starts and if you want to dramatically impact the city for the better, that's what should be the focus of efforts.

And for the folks looking to pile on about politics, it's not about electing republicans instead of democrats. Plenty of good democrats out there. It's about having some fiscal and ethical responsibility and embracing candidates who have a strategic vision for turning the city around, even if it requires some difficult decisions in the short term.
We know all this tired stuff already. The reason you get called out is the fatalistic outlook.

Things can change, and I gave you a recent example. There are plenty of folks working to change Jackson, and there are plenty of folks who would move there if there were some basic, attainable improvements. They just aren't angry upper-middle-aged men like yourself.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
We know all this tired stuff already. The reason you get called out is the fatalistic outlook.

Things can change, and I gave you a recent example.
No, you compared Jackson to Birmingham, which I didn't react to in the spirit of trying to be constructive, but I should have called it out for what it was - monumentally fucktastically stupid.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
I won't blame Jans for leaving if we're not at full capacity on December 28th.

Mayor of Little London

Dec 26, 2016
I’ll be there Saturday. Usually try to make 2 non conference games but schedule didn’t allow this year. Then follow up with a few conference games. Haven’t been able to do season tickets in a few years due to kid sport obligations. Looking forward to it this season!

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
I am sure I will get blasted but I live and work in Jackson. There are all kinds of great people here. I agree that the leadership is corrupt beyond belief. For the record I am not talking about Drebin, but I do think people that say Jackson is a third world country or there is not good people there are throwing the baby out with the bath water. There are tons of good people in this place, both black and white that want Jackson to be something different. The one thing that has to change is the leadership until that changes there is little hope of change. It is not just the mayor as well. The JPS superintendent is stealing money so fast is dumb founding along with most of the other so called leaders, but for sure baby Choke is the worst.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
"Chris Jans says Mississippi State crowd was 'awesome' in Jackson State win". Jans hasn't talked about crowd size very much in Starkville.....wonder why? He does recognize that fan support means everything in helping his team win. We are 10-0 and if we're only going to put in 3-5K every game in the HUMP, then don't expect our program to advance and also we run the risk of being another stepping stone for Jans to a blueblood school. I plan to go to the Nicholls St. game this Saturday. Based on what we've seen so far this year, there ought to be 10,000 packed like sardines into the HUMP. I may even take my young grandson with me. Do your part, be at the game Saturday. Let's show coach we're ready to return to the big time.

Seemed to me, watching the game on television, that the crowd at Jackson State was the largest "home" crowd we've had this year. I know that it was technically a home game for JSU, but most of the crowd appeared to be State fans.

Hopefully fans at the Hump will come out in force once conference play starts. Back in my season ticket days, the place was full. The students situation probably accounts for a lot of the falloff, along with a team that hasn't done very well in the last 10+ years.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I have no doubt that state will support the basketball team. I was in school at state when stansbury had basketball rolling. The place was packed every SEC game. I remember having to wake up early and stand in line to get tickets to some games (when Florida came in ranked #1 in 2005 or 2006). I suspect Jans knows if he keeps winning, there will be support.

Reactions: onewoof

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I am sure I will get blasted but I live and work in Jackson. There are all kinds of great people here. I agree that the leadership is corrupt beyond belief. For the record I am not talking about Drebin, but I do think people that say Jackson is a third world country or there is not good people there are throwing the baby out with the bath water. There are tons of good people in this place, both black and white that want Jackson to be something different. The one thing that has to change is the leadership until that changes there is little hope of change. It is not just the mayor as well. The JPS superintendent is stealing money so fast is dumb founding along with most of the other so called leaders, but for sure baby Choke is the worst.
There are no doubt great people in Jackson. Lots of great people. They are unfortunately outnumbered. And I don't think folks voting for corrupt politicians down there are bad people either- they're just gullible, or think they're just supposed to vote a certain way. With what's gone on there just in the last year...the water fiasco and the trash scandal....nobody in power down there should be able to draw a single vote. It's baffling.

Edited to add: I love Jackson. I always looked forward to visiting family there as a kid. Grew up going to egg bowls there for years. My daughter went to MC. I'm down there every other weekend for one reason or another. I have a lot of great memories of Jackson.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
No, you compared Jackson to Birmingham, which I didn't react to in the spirit of trying to be constructive, but I should have called it out for what it was - monumentally fucktastically stupid.
Wrong. If I had compared it to Nashville, that would have been "monumentally fucktastically stupid".

I'm not sure what's worse, that you can't understand the comparison, or that you think Birmingham is some great city. You don't seem to have much world experience.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Wrong. If I had compared it to Nashville, that would have been "monumentally fucktastically stupid".

I'm not sure what's worse, that you can't understand the comparison, or that you think Birmingham is some great city. You don't seem to have much world experience.
Birmingham and Jackson are not wholly comparable. It's idiotic. Jackson is very similar to *parts* of Birmingham. But Birmingham never saw the complete erosion of their tax base or failure of basic infrastructure that you saw in Jackson. Birmingham has its problems, like virtually every other decent sized city in the south. But good candidates can win elections there.

And nowhere did I say Birmingham was "some great city." Typical BS from you. Try to stay on point, or just take a seat. But don't waste everyone's time.

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
There are no doubt great people in Jackson. Lots of great people. They are unfortunately outnumbered. And I don't think folks voting for corrupt politicians down there are bad people either- they're just gullible, or think they're just supposed to vote a certain way. With what's gone on there just in the last year...the water fiasco and the trash scandal....nobody in power down there should be able to draw a single vote. It's baffling.

Edited to add: I love Jackson. I always looked forward to visiting family there as a kid. Grew up going to egg bowls there for years. My daughter went to MC. I'm down there every other weekend for one reason or another. I have a lot of great memories of Jackson.
I agree with most of your points and think you are very much right. I just always try to stick up for Jackson because it seems nobody else ever does. I know the city has it issues, and honestly more issues than most, but I to grew up coming here as kid. My dad worked at JSU as a professor for 30 years so some of my best memories were sitting in the back of his classes and then walking across the street to Thalia Mara hall to listen to the JSU brass band. I chose to live here as my wife and I both have careers where we could have lived anywhere in the country. I think you can love a place and admit it has issues at the same time. When my buddies that live in other places across the country take dumps on Jackson I always remind them of a Medger Evers quote. "I don't know if I am going to heaven or hell, but I know I am going from Jackson".

Edited to Say: I will get out of the way of the Birmingham versus Jackson fight.

Last edited:

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Showing up at the JSU game is a good sign we are collectively starting to get the fever but I do feel sorry for MO and his comments were justified IMO because JSU has been forced into a hard row to hoe. They've done a damn good job based on their schedule and circumstances and deserved to have more JSU fans at that game. My concern is that SEC Hoops has improved dramatically since the Stans Era. Kinda like what JWS dealt with versus what Mullen, JOMO, Leach and what Arnett will have to deal with. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm thinking these days a game or two over .500 in the SEC may be Tourney Material. This team deserving fan support is an understatement and I hope we understand that just because we are not playing .700 SEC Hoops Ball there's no reason not to be excited and fired up to drive to The Hump. Fan support will have and always has had a significant impact on home court games because players feed emotionally so much off it.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Birmingham and Jackson are not wholly comparable. It's idiotic. Jackson is very similar to *parts* of Birmingham. But Birmingham never saw the complete erosion of their tax base or failure of basic infrastructure that you saw in Jackson. Birmingham has its problems, like virtually every other decent sized city in the south. But good candidates can win elections there.

And nowhere did I say Birmingham was "some great city." Typical BS from you. Try to stay on point, or just take a seat. But don't waste everyone's time.

Yeeeeahh, about that:

SO, to reiterate, yeah, Jackson is a smaller version of Birmingham, about 20 years behind, in a smaller, poorer state.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Does anyone have an audio clip of Hank's old intro? If I were in the marketing department, I would put out a hype video - like now - while we're 10-0 and ranked. Show some 'glory days' scenes when the Hump was full and rocking. Remind the old people how much fun we had. Show the young people how fun it could be again. God it was awesome. Put some clips in there from media and players (Joaquim Noah I remember had a good one) about how loud and raucous it was. Because it was.

Seems like tapping into the nostalgia for the older generation (hi) who haven't been excited about basketball for a while would help. The newbies maybe don't have a clue who Hank Flick is, but unfortunately us oldies still buy most of the tickets, we just haven't bothered showing up. Play the Hank clips. "A good good evening.." and "Welcome... to the HUMP... for HOOPS" etc.

We've all been wanting our hoops to get back to that level. This team is fun to watch. It's time for the fanbase to ride with them. Make it happen. Get your *** #ToTheHUMP.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Yeeeeahh, about that:

SO, to reiterate, yeah, Jackson is a smaller version of Birmingham, about 20 years behind, in a smaller, poorer state.
Huntsville is the biggest city in Alabama now and outpacing Birmingham

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Huntsville is the biggest city in Alabama now and outpacing Birmingham
I get what you're saying, but that's a tad misleading. Huntsville annexed huge swaths of land, and has very few suburbs. So while the city proper is factually bigger, the metro area is much smaller. I think Huntsville is approaching 500K while Birmingham is well over a million. For comparison Jackson is around 600K.

There is no question that the Huntsville Metro is growing at a significantly bigger clip per capita than the Birmingham/Jackson Metros. And a lot of them are MSU graduates, which, as far as out-of-state migration goes, is about the best place we can hope for, as it is within 3.5 hours from Starkville.

XBLDawg

Mar 20, 2014

It's also not economically smart to move to Jackson. Property taxes, car tags are much higher than the neighboring counties, property values are decreasing in most of Jackson, and you can't get basic utility service.

I'm not one of those "i never step foot into Jackistan" folks, but other than working inside the city limits, I know that there are no positives to spending much time there outside of work hours. The city of Jackson offers nothing. There's no shopping destination, entertainment is very minimal, and even if I want to go have a drink or chill in Fondren or Belhaven, there's a good chance of at least witnessing a carjacking or drive-by.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
It's also not economically smart to move to Jackson. Property taxes, car tags are much higher than the neighboring counties, property values are decreasing in most of Jackson, and you can't get basic utility service.

I'm not one of those "i never step foot into Jackistan" folks, but other than working inside the city limits, I know that there are no positives to spending much time there outside of work hours. The city of Jackson offers nothing. There's no shopping destination, entertainment is very minimal, and even if I want to go have a drink or chill in Fondren or Belhaven, there's a good chance of at least witnessing a carjacking or drive-by.
Most people with families aren't willingly moving to Jackson, unless it's NEJ. We all know this. The people who would be interested are singles mainly, younger people, older folks wanting a little more to do, etc. But there has to be the basics, of which the main one is safety. Jackson has all the potential in the world to provide these things. Again, in that aspect, it's a carbon copy of what Birmingham was in the late 90's/early 00's. All the young people were out in Hoover. Now many are back in town once the basics were put in place, and those apartments in Hoover have become run-down.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008

In Rick Clevelands post game article he said the crowd was 3,206. If that was ticket sold then there were probably a lot less there than that because of the rain so it doesn't sound like much of a crowd was there. And the JSU coach made the statement their crowd didn't show up so what was there was ours.

LOTRGOTDAWGFAN

May 23, 2022
jackson is lost and there's no bringing it back. I've said for years and brand new, awesome, multiuse facility on the coast that seats upwards of 30,000, and you've also got a prime location for a lower to medium tier bowl game like the Magnolia bowl or isle of capri bowl or Tradewinds bowl.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login