Jeffrey Simmons prepping to leave Titans

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
If they let AJ Brown and Jeffrey Simmons go they will have a an incensed fan base. What a waste!

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Gotta be a tough sell to titans fan if AJ Brown and Simmons walk within a 2 year period. Both are guys you can build around.
They basically fired their GM midseason over the Brown deal, right? Can't imagine the new guy letting Simmons get away too.

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
There isn’t much higher praise in the league than what the Bengals DBs had to say about him. Awesome video.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Gotta be a tough sell to titans fan if AJ Brown and Simmons walk within a 2 year period. Both are guys you can build around.

Brown was traded. He didn’t exactly walk. I’m sure he’d still be there if they had paid him.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
They basically fired their GM midseason over the Brown deal, right? Can't imagine the new guy letting Simmons get away too.
The AJ situation was honestly just the last straw. There were no less than a dozen disastrous moves that the Titans made leading up to that, and Jon Robinson was fired for essentially destroying the roster over the last 3 seasons.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Brown was traded. He didn’t exactly walk. I’m sure he’d still be there if they had paid him.
I don’t think so. Brown’s relationship seemed to have soured with the Titans and the trade grew out of that. At least according to Brown, the Titans max offer was like $8Million less than the offer he signed with the Eagles. Frankly, it seems like a similar to trend as Simmons. It would be tough to watch both walk if you’re a titans fan. Maybe the team doesn’t want to start to build without what they feel is a long term QB on the roster?

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Now they are looking to trade Henry. Man they just seem to hate elite players.

Henry is a 29 year old RB that is due $16.3 million next season. The Titans would be idiotic to not try and shop him and at least test the market.

Like Marshawn Lynch, he’s an abnormal human who might be able to keep a decent level of performance until age 30-31, but he also could start looking like the current version of Zeke Elliot at any moment. If a contender desperate for a gamechanger RB is willing to offer a 2nd rounder or even a 3rd rounder, you have to jump all over that if you’re the Titans.

Last edited:
Reactions: retire the banner

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I don’t think so. Brown’s relationship seemed to have soured with the Titans and the trade grew out of that. At least according to Brown, the Titans max offer was like $8Million less than the offer he signed with the Eagles. Frankly, it seems like a similar to trend as Simmons. It would be tough to watch both walk if you’re a titans fan. Maybe the team doesn’t want to start to build without what they feel is a long term QB on the roster?

Well yeah, they probably didn’t want to pay him and that was part of the discontent, but the Titans didn’t have to do anything. They had team control over Brown for anywhere from 2 to 3 more years when they traded him (depending on if they applied franchise tag once or twice).

Their initial long term offer was low-ball and it really never got close to tipping point after that. They traded him because they viewed Treylon Burks as an equivalent talent who they could lock up for 5 years without the tag and for a lot less money.

Last edited:

Brew_Dawg

Jun 29, 2018
Him leaving would be really disappointing, but this might be the new GM whipping it out and trying to build his own roster. Would love to see him on the Saints, but my titans jersey would be lonely in the closet next to the GB Favre jersey.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Well yeah, they probably didn’t want to pay him and that was part of the discontent, but the Titans didn’t have to do anything. They had team control over Brown for anywhere from 2 to 3 more years when they traded him (depending on if they applied franchise tag once or twice).

Their initial long term offer was low-ball and it really never got close to tipping point after that. They traded him because they viewed Treylon Burks as an equivalent talent who they could lock up for 5 years without the tag and for a lot less money.
I’m not sure that gives me much faith in the upper management if I’m a Titans fan. AJ Brown looks like an All Star for years to come, and Burks struggled for much of the season. I know some of that was an ugly injury, but he had conditioning concerns entering the season.

Ultimately, it looks like a franchise that is really bleeding talent. Especially if Simmons walks. We might look around soon and see no AJ Brown, no Simmons, 30+ year old Derrick Henry, no reliable QB, etc. I know that division isn’t great, but that seems pretty close to rock bottom from a NFL talent perspective.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I’m not sure that gives me much faith in the upper management if I’m a Titans fan. AJ Brown looks like an All Star for years to come, and Burks struggled for much of the season. I know some of that was an ugly injury, but he had conditioning concerns entering the season.

Ultimately, it looks like a franchise that is really bleeding talent. Especially if Simmons walks. We might look around soon and see no AJ Brown, no Simmons, 30+ year old Derrick Henry, no reliable QB, etc. I know that division isn’t great, but that seems pretty close to rock bottom from a NFL talent perspective.

That’s all possibly true. I was just saying AJ didn’t just dip out on his own. The Titans made a conscious decision to send him out of town. It’s also worth noting he spent a good portion of years 2 and 3 in the league staying injured. So that might have also factored into their decision. But yeah, it very well could backfire.

Reactions: 57stratdawg

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
They need to put a bunch of dynamite under the Titans and rebuild them after the explosion. The sad thing they were really really close at one time but they took too many mis-steps and had some bad luck injury-wise.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login