Josh Hubbard is the best shooter at MSU since……

Willow Grove Dawg

Nov 3, 2016
Ravern Johnson shot 40% from 3 in 2008-10. Hubbard is at 35.5% this year.
Ravern Johnson or Barry (Randy) Stewart is probably the correct answer to this question. Wilson & Malone have the best two jump shots since I have been watching MSU baskbetball (early 70's)

Willow Grove Dawg

Nov 3, 2016
I was at a game at Arkansas Frazier hit 5-3's in a row to start the game. Arky fans were in shock, and they never recovered! If we had him, we would be sweet sixteen at the least. Still remember Frazier driving that beat up old jalopy around Starkville with I believe his wife and a kid or 2 hanging out the windows. Dude was super nice.
Winsome Frazier was a great perimeter defender. He could have played for Jans.

Reactions: Anon1664516582

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
He’s a 35 percent 3 point shooter. We’ve had tons of shooters better.

He’s not a top 25 shooter in the sec. Heck he’s not even the top 3 point shooter in this very state.

He’s talented. Hopefully he’ll continue to improve. But in no way is he even an elite shooter right now. Let alone to be mentioned with Daryl and Malone.

he’s streaky. Give me the 3 guys from Kentucky, the transfer from Tennessee. One of about 4 guys at Alabama. Just to name a few… could name a few others as well…. To take a shot to win me a game, and it’s not even close
The line is much farther back though and he is forced to create so many shots. His 35% is much more valuable than anyone’s else’s 35%. He doesn’t have the luxury of just spotting up and waiting for a kick out. The line was 19 feet 9 inches when Wilson played. It’s almost 2.5 feet deeper now.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
The line is much farther back though and he is forced to create so many shots. His 35% is much more valuable than anyone’s else’s 35%. He doesn’t have the luxury of just spotting up and waiting for a kick out. The line was 19 feet 9 inches when Wilson played. It’s almost 2.5 feet deeper now.

his 35% is more valuable how?

Relative to the league. He’s barely a top 25 shooter in the league. And the rest of the league is shooting from that same line.

he isn’t forced to take those shots. He chooses to take them. One could argue with all the doubling of Tolu he actually gets more open looks than some others on the list.

the 3 point line hasn’t been 19-9 since 2008. There also no 3 point line prior to 87.

if our best shooter in history is barely a top 25 shooter in the league and only shoots 35 from 3 then our history must be filled with bad shooters. Sheppard at Kentucky shoots over 50 percent and creates a lot of his shots off the bounce along with numerous others

it’s hard to compare eras of basketball. However relatively to his peers, Hubbards 35 % doesn’t demonstrate anything elite. It’s very very average. As someone else said. He’ll likely leave with plenty of numbers, but it’s unlikely he leaves as the best “shooter” in history

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
his 35% is more valuable how?

Relative to the league. He’s barely a top 25 shooter in the league. And the rest of the league is shooting from that same line.

he isn’t forced to take those shots. He chooses to take them. One could argue with all the doubling of Tolu he actually gets more open looks than some others on the list.

the 3 point line hasn’t been 19-9 since 2008. There also no 3 point line prior to 87.

if our best shooter in history is barely a top 25 shooter in the league and only shoots 35 from 3 then our history must be filled with bad shooters. Sheppard at Kentucky shoots over 50 percent and creates a lot of his shots off the bounce along with numerous others

it’s hard to compare eras of basketball. However relatively to his peers, Hubbards 35 % doesn’t demonstrate anything elite. It’s very very average. As someone else said. He’ll likely leave with plenty of numbers, but it’s unlikely he leaves as the best “shooter” in history
Shak Moore shoots 37%. I think Hubbard is much more valuable as a 3 pt shooter bc he can create his own shot. He can knock it down from 24 feet. He is his own offense. Not to mention he is great getting to the line on a 3 and he draws the attention of the defense.

It’s not just a straight numbers game. Cam shoots better than Tolu around the rim but I don’t think anyone would suggest we start making him priority one in the post.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Shak Moore shoots 37%. I think Hubbard is much more valuable as a 3 pt shooter bc he can create his own shot. He can knock it down from 24 feet. He is his own offense. Not to mention he is great getting to the line on a 3 and he draws the attention of the defense.

It’s not just a straight numbers game. Cam shoots better than Tolu around the rim but I don’t think anyone would suggest we start making him priority one in the post.
I’m not comparing Hubbard to shaq. I’m comparing Hubbard to good shooters in the league. His 35 percent is exactly what it is. Very average. 29th in the league actually.

Hubbard looks a lot better with us because we have no guards. He’s a very average shooter and very average guard in this league so far. He’s a volume scorer and that’s not always a good thing. Hopefully he continues to improve.

shot selection is part of being a good shooter. Just because he can knock it down from 24 feet doesn’t mean it’s a good shot. And I’d probably guess he’s shooting less than 20 percent from that range if not worse than that. We seem to remember the long makes but not the long misses

More threads pop up about how great a 35 percent shooter is. We’ve watched so much poor shooting outings in the last 2-3 years we think an average shooter is great now…. Hubbard would be the 4th best 3 point shooter on Kentucky, 5th on Alabama, 3rd at ole miss, 3rd at Tennessee… im sure there are more I just got tired of looking

Leodawg1990

Oct 4, 2023
Where will he transfer next season?
We have already got a package for him. I think he will be the most play player on the team. I have been told by my sources, that Tulo was given $1 million, and Kentucky was on him, also we had arranged to give Andrew Taylor $550,000 but we will not have to pay him as he failed in his obligation. We are fine in basketball, Josh Hubbard is an outstanding player and we will keep him in maroon and white.

Leodawg1990

Oct 4, 2023
We have already got a package for him. I think he will be the most play player on the team. I have been told by my sources, that Tulo was given $1 million, and Kentucky was on him, also we had arranged to give Andrew Taylor $550,000 but we will not have to pay him as he failed in his obligation. We are fine in basketball, Josh Hubbard is an outstanding player and we will keep him in maroon and white.
Tolu

Nov 25, 2019
crazy that Taylor got $550,000. He could shoot, but I didn't see the speed that he needed to defend. Hope we got our money back.

Reactions: patdog

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Thing that made Super D super was that he normally had his best games against the best competition. He actually didn't even get to play his freshman year because he was a prop 48.
He and Bullard on the floor was fun to watch! Not to mention the rest of the team.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010

Josh Hubbard is the best shooter at MSU since……​

Machine Gun Kelly?

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
List the better shooters in the last 25 years.
Scroll up this thread. There have been many named.

from a statistical stand point. There are even more. A 38% shooter, 35% from 3… is very average. Until those numbers get better, this thread is comical

Even with the line being farther back. He’s not even in the top 25 shooters in the sec this season. We’ve had plenty better. He’s got potential l, but as of now, threads like this shouldn’t be started

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
List the better shooters in the last 25 years.
Randy Stewart as a freshman. And Stewart for his career overall.

Arnett Moultrie for the 1 year he played at MSU.

Tyson Carter as a freshman.

Q as a freshman and for his career overall.

Malik Newman as a freshman during his 1 year at MSU.

Aric Holman for his last 2 years.

Dee Bost for his career overall.

I don't feel like going back any more than this.
Everyone listed above could shoot well and score.

Reactions: HuntDawg

Anon1664516582

Sep 30, 2022
I was at a game at Arkansas Frazier hit 5-3's in a row to start the game. Arky fans were in shock, and they never recovered! If we had him, we would be sweet sixteen at the least. Still remember Frazier driving that beat up old jalopy around Starkville with I believe his wife and a kid or 2 hanging out the windows. Dude was super nice.
Don’t forget his defense either…

Anon1664516582

Sep 30, 2022
Hubert Henderson for the win… Bob Boyd took that loser over Derrick McKey who then went to Bama and kicked out asses every game. Always went up to Boyd after games telling him… he wanted to go to State…. I saw and heard him say it TWICE coming off the floor…

Reactions: knock him out john

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
The fact he got that or anything close to that shows me we have issues finding talent. That dude was soft….
Well technically he didn’t get 550k because he didn’t stay. He got a very small portion of that for the time he was here.

He was also highly sought after by numerous teams so it’s not like State was the only one that would have wiffed.

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016
Randy Stewart as a freshman. And Stewart for his career overall.

Arnett Moultrie for the 1 year he played at MSU.

Tyson Carter as a freshman.

Q as a freshman and for his career overall.

Malik Newman as a freshman during his 1 year at MSU.

Aric Holman for his last 2 years.

Dee Bost for his career overall.

I don't feel like going back any more than this.
Everyone listed above could shoot well and score.
Great list man.

Reactions: HuntDawg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login