Josh Hubbard

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
@HuntDawg says his percentage not good enough.
Funny you didn’t show up talking after the ole miss game. the ol Saying not as good as people think you are after a good one and not as bad as people say you are after a bad one applys here. his averages for the week are what he is.

glad he bounced back. This team is different when we are hitting 3s And free throws. Him or anyone. We made 10 tonight and shot a high %. Shot 77% from the line as well. We continue that theme rest of the year we’ll keep stacking up wins

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
Funny you didn’t show up talking after the ole miss game. the ol Saying not as good as people think you are after a good one and not as bad as people say you are after a bad one applys here. his averages for the week are what he is.

glad he bounced back. This team is different when we are hitting 3s And free throws. Him or anyone. We made 10 tonight and shot a high %. Shot 77% from the line as well. We continue that theme rest of the year we’ll keep stacking up wins
Hell, if they can be 77% from the line alone could win us a lot of games (or definitely COULD have).

Reactions: HuntDawg

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005

He had a bad game against Ole Miss because they did a really good job of defending him. It’s the one thing they did well last Wednesday night. They weren’t going to let him score.

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016

All I heard while watching the OM broadcast was “leads the SEC in 3s made.”

Reactions: patdog

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
All I heard while watching the OM broadcast was “leads the SEC in 3s made.”
And 3 pointers attempted.’

all I heard watching kentucky vs Alabama were efficient shooters and efficient scorers.

I know what I want more of…..

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008

all I heard watching kentucky vs Alabama were efficient shooters and efficient scorers.

Bama is efficient at home. And so are we. However, last night we were efficient on the road.

Hubbard hit 6 of 12 three pointers. On the road. Has any Bama players done that on the road?

Reactions: stateu1

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Bama is efficient at home. And so are we. However, last night we were efficient on the road.

Hubbard hit 6 of 12 three pointers. On the road. Has any Bama players done that on the road?
Sears is 10 for his last 19 on the road
Wrightselle went 6 for 9 at lsu

again efficient is the key. Other teams don’t let 35 percent shooters shoot 12 3s

glad they went in last night. But not a recipe for success. Example. Florida game. Or in general all his percentages on the road

Last edited:

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016

again efficient is the key. Other teams don’t let 35 percent shooters shoot 12 3s

glad they went in last night. But not a recipe for success. Example. Florida game
What’s your recipe?
shooters shoot. Sometimes they go in, sometimes they don’t.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
What’s your recipe?
shooters shoot. Sometimes they go in, sometimes they don’t.
when 35% shooters shot a lot. It’s not always a good thing. It’s proven to not work very well against the better teams.

In 7 games hes:
2-12 vs bama
1-9 vs Kentucky
3-9 vs auburn
5-17 vs Florida
2-7 vs usc

only good game was had against ten, and he being hot was the main reason for the win, going 5-10.

but 18-64, 28%. Is going to lead to more losses than wins. Which is the case above.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008

glad they went in last night. But not a recipe for success. Example. Florida game. Or in general all his percentages on the road
Davis went 2 for 3 from 3pt land. Give the man his props.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

Looking at Hubbard’s raw 3 point percentage and saying he’s average makes no more sense than looking at Will Rogers’ career pass completion percentage and saying he’s the best passing QB in the SEC.

There is a ton of nuance to shooting. Reed Sheppard at Kentucky is, statistically, the most accurate 3-point shooter in the league at 51%. But he doesn’t even average 12 points a game, because he only takes high percentage, wide open 3’s on catch and release set pieces, coming off screens, etc. And you only get so many of those per game. He’s a rich man’s Shane Power. He absolutely cannot create his own shot like Hubbard can.

I’m not saying Hubbard’s the best shooter in the league, but he’s the best we’ve had in a very long time.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Looking at Hubbard’s raw 3 point percentage and saying he’s average makes no more sense than looking at Will Rogers’ career pass completion percentage and saying he’s the best passing QB in the SEC.

There is a ton of nuance to shooting. Reed Sheppard at Kentucky is, statistically, the most accurate 3-point shooter in the league at 51%. But he doesn’t even average 12 points a game, because he only takes high percentage, wide open 3’s on catch and release set pieces, coming off screens, etc. And you only get so many of those per game. He’s a rich man’s Shane Power. He absolutely cannot create his own shot like Hubbard can.

I’m not saying Hubbard’s the best shooter in the league, but he’s the best we’ve had in a very long time.
You may want to watch reed Shepard play a little more. he can very much get his own shot. He’s a projected high draft pick. he also leads the team is assists meaning 1- he’s got the ball and they aren’t running him off screens all game and 2- sometimes he passes open an ok shot to get his teammate a better shot. Can’t say the same about Hubbard.

he shoot high percentage b/c at kentuvky if you take bad shots you don’t play long. They’ve got 3 shooters that will shoot circles around Hubbard. Reeves is the best shooter in the conference And takes 2 less 3S a game than does Hubbard

the first paragraph isn’t even an accurate way of describing it. it’s more like rogers is the best qb in the sec because he has themost yards…Hubbard is the best shooter bc he has the most 3s. That’s the analogy, and what our fans think….

If Hubbard is s better shooter than the numbers state. He either needs to take better shots or shoot less 3s. Again these threads pop up after he makes a few shots. I can name 10 other shooters in this conference alone that are better shooters and it’s probably more than that.bama has 3, Kentucky has 3, heck he ain’t even the best shooter in the state, he’s down the road in Oxford.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
You may want to watch reed Shepard play a little more. he can very much get his own shot. He’s a projected high draft pick. he also leads the team is assists meaning 1- he’s got the ball and they aren’t running him off screens all game and 2- sometimes he passes open an ok shot to get his teammate a better shot. Can’t say the same about Hubbard.

he shoot high percentage b/c at kentuvky if you take bad shots you don’t play long. They’ve got 3 shooters that will shoot circles around Hubbard. Reeves is the best shooter in the conference And takes 2 less 3S a game than does Hubbard

the first paragraph isn’t even an accurate way of describing it. it’s more like rogers is the best qb in the sec because he has themost yards…Hubbard is the best shooter bc he has the most 3s. That’s the analogy, and what our fans think….

If Hubbard is s better shooter than the numbers state. He either needs to take better shots or shoot less 3s. Again these threads pop up after he makes a few shots. I can name 10 other shooters in this conference alone that are better shooters and it’s probably more than that.bama has 3, Kentucky has 3, heck he ain’t even the best shooter in the state, he’s down the road in Oxford.

Heck Hubbard is a true freshman and the team in Oxford was OBSESSED with proving they were better than him. Obsessed. A freshman.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Heck Hubbard is a true freshman and the team in Oxford was OBSESSED with proving they were better than him. Obsessed. A freshman.
You mean stopping him? He’s one of 2.. now hopefull.. 3 scoring options we have. I’d try to stop him as well, as will kentucky and everyone else.

olblue

Mar 11, 2018

^^^Does not have a Basketball Jones

• Haha
Reactions: Anon1697564126

olblue

Mar 11, 2018
He had a bad game against Ole Miss because they did a really good job of defending him. It’s the one thing they did well last Wednesday night. They weren’t going to let him score.
Some people don’t understand that coaches use scouting reports to sell out in an effort to take a player completely out of the game.

Reactions: DesotoCountyDawg

olblue

Mar 11, 2018
when 35% shooters shot a lot. It’s not always a good thing. It’s proven to not work very well against the better teams.

In 7 games hes:
2-12 vs bama
1-9 vs Kentucky
3-9 vs auburn
5-17 vs Florida
2-7 vs usc

only good game was had against ten, and he being hot was the main reason for the win, going 5-10.

but 18-64, 28%. Is going to lead to more losses than wins. Which is the case above.
Thanks stat boy.

olblue

Mar 11, 2018

You seem to be upset that State had to settle for Hubbard when they could have had Reeves, Sheppard, and Dillingham. Did those three ever consider Mississippi State?

Take the advice of that noted philosopher Stephen Stills: If you can’t be with the one you love, love the one you’re with.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
You mean stopping him? He’s one of 2.. now hopefull.. 3 scoring options we have. I’d try to stop him as well, as will kentucky and everyone else.
No, out play and out score him. It's just odd to see upperclassmen trying to put on a show to be "the man" when a freshman is who they are trying to out show. It's like doing that was more important than getting the narrow W. At home. A freshman. Was wild to see. Props to Hubbard though. He is that guy, in his first dozen games in college ball. Wild times.

Bulldog from Birth

Jan 23, 2007
Player of the game: 32 points (9 of 17 FG / 6 of 12 3PT / 8 of 8 FT), 1 assist, 1 rebound, 0 PF
In a lot of ways, he’s got a Dontae Jones quality about him. In ‘96, you had guys like Dampier and Wilson who were just as solid as a rock. You knew you were going to get an A game from them almost every night. Hubbard reminds me of Dontae. A little bit more up and down. But the peak “up” is in a whole different stratosphere that can carry a team past anybody.

Reactions: OopsICroomedmypants

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

If Sheppard can shoot 51% on the caliber of shots that Hubbard is shooting 36% on, then Kentucky should fire Calipari tomorrow for the fact that Sheppard isn’t the one shooting on every single possession.

You cannot seriously believe that his game is at that level as a shooter.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
If Sheppard can shoot 51% on the caliber of shots that Hubbard is shooting 36% on, then Kentucky should fire Calipari tomorrow for the fact that Sheppard isn’t the one shooting on every single possession.

You cannot seriously believe that his game is at that level as a shooter.
Never said they were taking the same type of shot.

but part of being a good shooter is taking good shots and taking shots you can make.

what I said about Sheppard is he can very much create his own shot and state probably runs more action to get Hubbard open 3s than kentuvky does Sheppard. if Sheppard had half the green light Hubbard did, he’d dwarf him numbers wise. Your opinion on Sheppard and how kentuvky uses him is way off.

i also said reeves is the best shooter. But sheppard would shoot circles around Hubbard. But he’s charged with running the offense. Defending. Rebounding. Assisting. All things Hubbard isnt.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Never said they were taking the same type of shot.

but part of being a good shooter is taking good shots and taking shots you can make.

what I said about Sheppard is he can very much create his own shot and state probably runs more action to get Hubbard open 3s than kentuvky does Sheppard. if Sheppard had half the green light Hubbard did, he’d dwarf him numbers wise. Your opinion on Sheppard and how kentuvky uses him is way off.

i also said reeves is the best shooter. But sheppard would shoot circles around Hubbard. But he’s charged with running the offense. Defending. Rebounding. Assisting. All things Hubbard isnt.
You’re delusional. Its easy to say “only take good shots” when you’re in a lineup with 5 McDonald’s All Americans. That’s not the case with Hubbard. And he HAS to create pretty much every shot he releases to a certain extent, because he’s 17ing 5’9” on a good day. We need to lean into his strength as a shooter who can hit from anywhere, because when he’s on in that role it makes him and the whole team indefensible. There are very few guys like that in the college game, and they are the types of players that carry teams in March.

Hubbard and Sheppard both in a 3 point competition against nothing but air, there’s good chance Hubbard is schooling him.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
You’re delusional. Its easy to say “only take good shots” when you’re in a lineup with 5 McDonald’s All Americans. That’s not the case with Hubbard. And he HAS to create pretty much every shot he releases to a certain extent, because he’s 17ing 5’9” on a good day. We need to lean into his strength as a shooter who can hit from anywhere, because when he’s on in that role it makes him and the whole team indefensible. There are very few guys like that in the college game, and they are the types of players that carry teams in March.

Hubbard and Sheppard both in a 3 point competition against nothing but air, there’s good chance Hubbard is schooling him.
Shooters that shoot 35% don’t carry teams anywhere in march. Being 5-9 has nothing to do with the equation.

when any 3 point shooter is hot it changes everyones offense… can be anyone… Good teams have had no issues shutting him down or forcing him to take tough shots….. hence his production vs them.

If he were half the player you are describing the blue bloods of college basketball would have had him and not ole miss, then certainly not us, when leaving ole miss and giving schools that may have missed another opportunit. He certainly isn’t one of the ‘few’ players in the country. They are littered all over college basketball. If he were 6-5. Or shot better. I wouled agree. But he isn’t and he doesn’t

Last edited:
  • Sad

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Shooters that shoot 35% don’t carry teams anywhere in march. Being 5-9 has nothing to do with the equation.

when any 3 point shooter is hot it changes everyones offense… can be anyone… Good teams have had no issues shutting him down or forcing him to take tough shots….. hence his production vs them.

If he were half the player you are describing the blue bloods of college basketball would have had him and not ole miss, then certainly not us, when entering the portal and giving schools that may have missed another opportunit. He certainly isn’t one of the ‘few’ players in the country. They are littered all over college basketball. If he were 6-5. Or shot better. I wouled agree. But he isn’t and he doesn’t
Guys who shoot 36% from beyond the arc when about 30% of those attempts are from the logo are absolutely NOT littered throughout college basketball. Again, you are delusional.

His height is exactly why he’s not at a blueblood. At 6’3”, he’d have infinitely more makeable looks per game and also have more of an all-around game (penetration, defense, etc.). He’d be averaging 20+ per game and would be a one and done.

Last edited:

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Guys who shoot 36% from beyond the arc when about 30% of those attempts are from the logo are absolutely NOT littered throughout college basketball. Again, you are delusional.

His height is exactly why he’s not at a blueblood. At 6’3”, he’d have infinitely more makeable looks per game and also have more of an all-around game (penetration, defense, etc.).
Because good teams dont let shooters shoot those shots. And because good Teams know logo 3s aren’t going to win games, let alone championships

half the country or more doesn’t even know who josh Hubbard. Your acting like we get 3 points make or miss because he shoots from that far away….Again I’m glad he’s with us and he shot well the other night. But he’s a specialist on good teams. Much like alex Dillard at Arkansas back in the hogs run.

he can improve and get better with time. Im hoping he does.

Last edited:
  • Sad

DoomSlayer

Jan 13, 2018
Because good teams dont let shooters shoot those shots. And because good Teams know logo 3s aren’t going to win games, let alone championships

half the country or more doesn’t even know who josh Hubbard. Your acting like we get 3 points make or miss because he shoots from that far away….Again I’m glad he’s with us and he shot well the other night. But he’s a specialist on good teams. Much like alex Dillard at Arkansas back in the hogs run.

Have the Golden State Warriors been a good team the last 10 years? Because Steph sure takes a lot of logo 3’s, and they’ve won a lot of championships.

Reactions: Perd Hapley

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Have the Golden State Warriors been a good team the last 10 years? Because Steph sure takes a lot of logo 3’s, and they’ve won a lot of championships.
Nice compare Steph to Hubbard. Steph wasn’t a 35 percent shooter either. Good analogy though

• Sad

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
So, we’re not a good team?

Forget good teams. Good COACHES know when you have a player of Hubbard’s ability and range, you let them shoot from well beyond the arc if the other team isn’t going to guard that deep. Because in our case specifically, if you force teams to guard him out there….it makes it a 4 on 4 with one of our 4 being Tolu. That’s an advantage for us against anyone in the country.
I could care less what half the country knows. Hubbard is a weapon who is being used appropriately by Jans and the staff. Suggesting he’s taking too many bad shots and hurting us is absurd. 36% is a good percentage even for random spot-up shooters. He’s doing it a lot on his own.
He absolutely can. But he’s already pretty damn good.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
So, we’re not a good team?

Forget good teams. Good COACHES know when you have a player of Hubbard’s ability and range, you let them shoot from well beyond the arc if the other team isn’t going to guard that deep. Because in our case specifically, if you force teams to guard him out there….it makes it a 4 on 4 with one of our 4 being Tolu. That’s an advantage for us against anyone in the country.

I could care less what half the country knows. Hubbard is a weapon who is being used appropriately by Jans and the staff. Suggesting he’s taking too many bad shots and hurting us is absurd. 36% is a good percentage even for random spot-up shooters. He’s doing it a lot on his own.

He absolutely can. But he’s already pretty damn good.
1) we aren’t a good offensive team, metrics agree with this

2) good teams have had zero troubling guarding or stopping Hubbard. As the percentages show. So where is this advantage. An average offense looks good against a bad defense, but doenst look quite so good when you play a quality one.

3) I’m not suggesting he’s taking too many bad shots for this particular team. I am arguing that if we want to be better in the future we need help. Because this has been proven to not be a recipe for success and 5-9 guards that shoot 36 percent can’t carry teams anywhere. Go look one up and get back with me.

it’s like I ran into Coach Williams at Harvey’s and we discussed Daryl and Hubbard. His told that Hubbard is good but wasn’t a fair comparison bc Daryl wasn’t alllwed to shoot the way Hubbard is… most good successful teams this is the case… and hopefully we get to that level

I think Jan’s has done an excellent job with this team. But i Hope in the future it changes and Hubbard does too. Less is more sometimes and it’s the case here

DoomSlayer

Jan 13, 2018
Nice compare Steph to Hubbard. Steph wasn’t a 35 percent shooter either. Good analogy though
You said “Good teams don’t let shooters shoot those shots” and “good teams know logo threes don’t win games”.

You made no qualifications, you made a blanket statement that I pointed out was not true. Klay took those shots too, so that’s two players on the most successful team in 25 years. Kerr is a good coach, he knew it was actually in the best interest of his team to have those guys play like that and feel comfortable taking those shots if they feel it. Jans feels like the team is at its best when Hubbard has the green light and I agree.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
You said “Good teams don’t let shooters shoot those shots” and “good teams know logo threes don’t win games”.

You made no qualifications, you made a blanket statement that I pointed out was not true. Klay took those shots too, so that’s two players on the most successful team in 25 years. Kerr is a good coach, he knew it was actually in the best interest of his team to have those guys play like that and feel comfortable taking those shots if they feel it. Jans feels like the team is at its best when Hubbard has the green light and I agree.
You want to compare the nba game to the college game go ahead. Not even close to the same game. Do you compare nfl to college football the same way?

If I had Shaq I’d probably throw it down the post and win plenty of games that way. But tolu isn’t Shaq and Hubbard ain’t Steph.

heck while we are at it, didn’t Jordan and the bulls win with the triangle offense? Why haven’t I seen that in the college game?

• Sad

Raiderdawg

Sep 28, 2022
….I’m not suggesting he’s taking too many bad shots for this particular team. I am arguing that if we want to be better in the future we need help. Because this has been proven to not be a recipe for success and 5-9 guards that shoot 36 percent can’t carry teams anywhere. Go look one up and get back with me.

So your entire point is that if we want to be better in the future, we need to shoot better than we do now, either by getting better shooters or improving?

Astute observation.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login