Josh Hubbard

DoomSlayer

Jan 13, 2018
You want to compare the nba game to the college game go ahead. Not even close to the same game. Do you compare nfl to college football the same way?

If I had Shaq I’d probably throw it down the post and win plenty of games that way. But tolu isn’t Shaq and Hubbard ain’t Steph.

heck while we are at it, didn’t Jordan and the bulls win with the triangle offense? Why haven’t I seen that in the college game?
We were talking hoops, you never said only college. You make a point, are proven wrong, then come back and move the goalposts after the fact. I’m just trying to point out the coach knows better than you if it’s ok to let Hubbard have the green light. He sees them in practice, is around them everyday. Sure he can have an off night and we lose, but the way Jans looks at it we will lose if he doesn’t take the shots. We aren’t exactly loaded with offensive wizards, Hubbard has to cook.

Reactions: Perd Hapley

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
it’s like I ran into Coach Williams at Harvey’s and we discussed Daryl and Hubbard. His told that Hubbard is good but wasn’t a fair comparison bc Daryl wasn’t alllwed to shoot the way Hubbard is… most good successful teams this is the case… and hopefully we get to that level

That’s neat. Of course Daryl Wilson wasn’t allowed to take those shots because he played in a time where you could get 3 points for shooting from 19’9” from the rim. The line has moved twice since then, yet percentages have continued to increase due to changes in how the game is played and practiced. Daryl Wilson was also a spot up shooter if there ever was one, as good as he was. He wasn’t ever taking anyone off dribble then stepping back to create space for himself.

Williams also coached in a time where guys like Erick Dampier were drafted 13th overall, whereas today he’d be playing in Europe. The game has gone through astronomical changes since Williams was a coach….analytics and what not.

And also, Harvey’s is trash.

Reactions: DoomSlayer

OopsICroomedmypants

Sep 29, 2022
In a lot of ways, he’s got a Dontae Jones quality about him. In ‘96, you had guys like Dampier and Wilson who were just as solid as a rock. You knew you were going to get an A game from them almost every night. Hubbard reminds me of Dontae. A little bit more up and down. But the peak “up” is in a whole different stratosphere that can carry a team past anybody.
You nailed it. Dontae hadn't crossed my mind. Yep, both of those guys could win games for you that you shouldn't, but never played consistently that good. Both have the threat to beat you when they get ready though.

BTW it really doesn't matter how good those players on other teams are. What matters is how does Jans coach OUR talent? Hubbard is our best player.

If I'm coaching our team, I'd run my offense through Hubbard and get him as many looks as possible while the other guys get rebounds. Sooner or later Tolu will be open.

pmack3641

Aug 9, 2019
Here’s how I look at it. He’s averaging approximately 14points per gam, if he’s not shooting and hitting his averages where losing more games since there is t another shooter on the team of his caliber. Until we find another shooter I’ll take his 35% all day. FYI he also will drive the lane, pull up and take short jumpers in addition not afraid to drive even as small as he his. Finally he’s a true freshman, nothing put up side with him.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Looking at Hubbard’s raw 3 point percentage and saying he’s average makes no more sense than looking at Will Rogers’ career pass completion percentage and saying he’s the best passing QB in the SEC.

There is a ton of nuance to shooting. Reed Sheppard at Kentucky is, statistically, the most accurate 3-point shooter in the league at 51%. But he doesn’t even average 12 points a game, because he only takes high percentage, wide open 3’s on catch and release set pieces, coming off screens, etc. And you only get so many of those per game. He’s a rich man’s Shane Power. He absolutely cannot create his own shot like Hubbard can.

I’m not saying Hubbard’s the best shooter in the league, but he’s the best we’ve had in a very long time.
Actually this is the worst take in history. I sure do see Kentucky running Shepard off screens… and his game sure reminds me of Shane power.

even heard the announcer say there is not a better shooter in this league than Shepard

Dumbas

also saw cal chew him out for taking a heat check 30 footer. Guess he doenst know what good offense is either right?

Last edited:

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
If Sheppard can shoot 51% on the caliber of shots that Hubbard is shooting 36% on, then Kentucky should fire Calipari tomorrow for the fact that Sheppard isn’t the one shooting on every single possession.

You cannot seriously believe that his game is at that level as a shooter.
Lol. Sheppard. Yep. He is. Nice take on him 17idiit. 10 less shots. 10-13 from the field.

you have zero credibility to talk basketball anymore this Shepard take was so awful

Last edited:

BHAMDawg33

Mar 16, 2022
Lol. Sheppard. Yep. He is. Nice take on him 17idiit. 10 less shots. 10-13 from the field.

you have zero credibility to talk basketball anymore this Shepard take was so awful
please find a new team to cheer on and donate your $11 hotdog revenue every year

Reactions: stateu1

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Shepard played smart ball under pressure. Nice layups. The 3 shots he missed from 3pt looked terrible. He's smart enough to stop shooting long when he's not wide open.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Actually this is the worst take in history. I sure do see Kentucky running Shepard off screens… and his game sure reminds me of Shane power.

even heard the announcer say there is not a better shooter in this league than Shepard

Dumbas

also saw cal chew him out for taking a heat check 30 footer. Guess he doenst know what good offense is either right?
Nice distraction from your keyboard diarrea from a few nights ago. Sheppard is a great player. I never said otherwise.

This subtle nuance might elude you, but he, aGAIN, made all his perimeter shots in situations where he was wide asś open on a bad defensive switch, to lightly contested at best. Meanwhile, Hubbard is busy getting mugged in mid-air while knocking down 4 point plays, or doing dribble step backs to drain 3’s over guys 8 inches taller than him. Every 17ing time in both cases.

Sheppard is an elite athlete and point guard with length and great handles, elite distributor of the ball and great penetrator / finisher around the rim. And yes, he’s an outstanding shooter. But in terms of being able to create his own shot from the perimeter, he’s not on Hubbard’s level. Period.

Hubbard literally just dropped 35 points when he had 4 or 5 NBA players on the other side who knew he was the only serious offensive option they needed to contain. He’s not going to be some NBA superstar like Reeves or Sheppard. But he’s the most special player we’ve had in our backcourt in probably well over 30 years. Last thing he needs to do is shoot less. He’s the only reason we didn’t lose by 20 tonight.

Reactions: stateu1

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Nice distraction from your keyboard diarrea from a few nights ago. Sheppard is a great player. I never said otherwise.

This subtle nuance might elude you, but he, aGAIN, made all his perimeter shots in situations where he was wide asś open on a bad defensive switch, to lightly contested at best. Meanwhile, Hubbard is busy getting mugged in mid-air while knocking down 4 point plays, or doing dribble step backs to drain 3’s over guys 8 inches taller than him. Every 17ing time in both cases.

Sheppard is an elite athlete and point guard with length and great handles, elite distributor of the ball and great penetrator / finisher around the rim. And yes, he’s an outstanding shooter. But in terms of being able to create his own shot from the perimeter, he’s not on Hubbard’s level. Period.

Hubbard literally just dropped 35 points when he had 4 or 5 NBA players on the other side who knew he was the only serious offensive option they needed to contain. He’s not going to be some NBA superstar like Reeves or Sheppard. But he’s the most special player we’ve had in our backcourt in probably well over 30 years. Last thing he needs to do is shoot less. He’s the only reason we didn’t lose by 20 tonight.
I won’t disagree with all that. But I’ll let the thread die. We can agree to disagree on certain things. One thing is for sure your comparison of Shepard to power was a bad one. They aren’t remotely similar

that said. I do think we went away from smith a little too early. He dominated early on and was the main reason for our fast start. Wonder why he faded

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016
I won’t disagree with all that. But I’ll let the thread die. We can agree to disagree on certain things.

that said. I do think we went away from smith a little too early. He dominated early on and was the main reason for our fast start. Wonder why he faded
He faded because he can’t make a ******* layup or a ******* free throw.

edit and you should let this thread die because your takes are ******* stupid.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
One thing is for sure your comparison of Shepard to power was a bad one. They aren’t remotely similar
I said he was “a rich man’s Shane Power” as a 3 point shooter….meaning a better version of him in that regard. In case you forgot, Power was a career 40% 3 point shooter. He didn’t suck by any means. But he also wasn’t creating his own looks. He came off ball screens, sagged back in transition, and moved without the ball to bait defenses into bad and late switches to get open. Sheppard does all the same things. On top of all that, he is surrounded by elite talent. He just doesn’t have to work all that hard to get good looks from the perimeter. Hubbard is the complete opposite in every aspect.

Last edited:

olblue

Mar 11, 2018
you have zero credibility to talk basketball
Hypocrisy GIF

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login