Josh Pate - ''College Officiating is a Joke''

92Pony

Joined Jan 18, 2011
Jan 20, 2022
I love Josh Pate's takes on things.

Oh, and the LSU-refs-against-us still maintaining traction!

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
The simple solution is to make every call on the field reviewable, penalties included.

As an anti-replay person, it boggles my mind why all penalties are not reviewable.

Last edited:
Reactions: ClassOf95

Piscis

Aug 31, 2024
All the P4 conferences, especially the SEC, have more than enough money to hire professional full time officials that have no connection to any of the schools in the conference. The head referee in the UGA/Texas game went to TCU, lives in Dallas and has a son who has an undergrad and graduate degree from the University of Texas. How can that man be allowed to officiate a game involving Texas? The SEC office is in Birmingham of all places.

The SEC is the premier college football conference and the officiating across the board is embarrassingly bad in pretty much every game.

PrestonyteParrot

May 28, 2024
All the P4 conferences, especially the SEC, have more than enough money to hire professional full time officials that have no connection to any of the schools in the conference. The head referee in the UGA/Texas game went to TCU, lives in Dallas and has a son who has an undergrad and graduate degree from the University of Texas. How can that man be allowed to officiate a game involving Texas? The SEC office is in Birmingham of all places.

The SEC is the premier college football conference and the officiating across the board is embarrassingly bad in pretty much every game.
The fact that SEC Officiating is the brunt of jokes and memes should be embarrassing enough to provoke the league into action, but the money comes in regardless so why bother has to be the attitude of the league office.

ClassOf95

Joined Sep 30, 2001 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 19, 2022
The simple solution is to make every call on the field reviewable, penalties included.

As an anti-replay person, it boggles my mind why all penalties are not reviewable.
Agree, refs are human, not perfect. I'd give each coach three penalty reviews per half.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Agree, refs are human, not perfect. I'd give each coach three penalty reviews per half.

Yeah, something at least.

I mean, I'm against replay altogether. Just play the game. But the strong argument for replay is "it's important to get the call right!" If that's the rationale, it makes no logical sense to exclude penalties...except for targeting (why that one can be reviewed but not others is anyone's guess).

Piscis

Aug 31, 2024
Yeah, something at least.

I mean, I'm against replay altogether. Just play the game. But the strong argument for replay is "it's important to get the call right!" If that's the rationale, it makes no logical sense to exclude penalties...except for targeting (why that one can be reviewed but not others is anyone's guess).
Give a coach two challenges per half for anything they want to challenge. Outside of that, play the game without any reviews, like all games used to be played for over 100 years. The two reviews should eliminate the "one bad call cost us the game" excuse.

Reactions: 18IsTheMan

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Give a coach two challenges per half for anything they want to challenge. Outside of that, play the game without any reviews, like all games used to be played for over 100 years. The two reviews should eliminate the "one bad call cost us the game" excuse.

Pretty good solution. Up it to 3, and I'm down with that. And they can throw the review flag anytime they want without being penalized a TO if the review doesn't come back in their favor.

3 per team per half should provide enough to cover any egregious calls. Enough, as you say, to eliminate anyone blaming a loss on the refs.

There are too many unnecessary reviews as it is. Let the coaches decide what's important enough. Can't remember which game it was over the weekend, but the game was in the final minutes and the outcome was extremely well in hand. But the refs took like 2 minutes to review whether a particular catch was in-bounds or not for a first down. It was a totally meaningless play.

Piscis

Aug 31, 2024
Pretty good solution. Up it to 3, and I'm down with that. And they can throw the review flag anytime they want without being penalized a TO if the review doesn't come back in their favor.

3 per team per half should provide enough to cover any egregious calls. Enough, as you say, to eliminate anyone blaming a loss on the refs.

There are too many unnecessary reviews as it is. Let the coaches decide what's important enough. Can't remember which game it was over the weekend, but the game was in the final minutes and the outcome was extremely well in hand. But the refs took like 2 minutes to review whether a particular catch was in-bounds or not for a first down. It was a totally meaningless play.
I could live with 3, they don't have to use them all. I bet you would be surprised at how few challenges coaches actually made.

Reactions: 18IsTheMan

Latest posts

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login