Just Asking: I am not a Shane 'Beamer Ball' supporter, in any shape or form, whatsoever.

HI Cock1

Joined Oct 14, 2012
Jan 22, 2022
My big question is, can he create a positive, upbeat culture (which he has done without question) without acting like a fanboy (jumping into the arms of players)... and thereby make this school look more like we expect to win. He will always need big-time Xs and Os coordinators.

Reactions: moouclem

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
The OU win will REALLY mean something if we win the next game.

To differentiate himself from his long line of predecessors, Beamer has to build off big wins. We have always picked up scattered big wins here and there. What we have not traditionally done is build off those moments. Spurrier did, albeit briefly.

PrestonyteParrot

May 28, 2024

To differentiate himself from his long line of predecessors, Beamer has to build off big wins. We have always picked up scattered big wins here and there. What we have not traditionally done is build off those moments. Spurrier did, albeit briefly.
Another bye week before a big game concerns me

Piscis

Aug 31, 2024

Is this really a BIG win? I think this is more of a win over a big name that used to be a top program. OU is 4-3 this season with wins over Temple, Tulane, Houston and Auburn. We were actually favored in this game by kickoff.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Is this really a BIG win? I think this is more of a win over a big name that used to be a top program. OU is 4-3 this season with wins over Temple, Tulane, Houston and Auburn. We were actually favored in this game by kickoff.

Contextually, yes. It's a big win for US. Kind of like beating ND in South Bend in 1984. The Gerry Faust Fighting Irish were a shell of their former selves, but for a program of our caliber to go in and win on a blue blood's turf still meant something...for us.

I think the meaning of the OU game will be determined by how the rest of the season goes. If we stumble to a 5-win season, the win won't mean diddly. It'll be as you stated, just a win over a middling and struggling program.

If, however, we somehow took off and got to 7 or 8 regular season wins then we could look back on the OU win as something of a turning point for the season.

Piscis

Aug 31, 2024
Contextually, yes. It's a big win for US. Kind of like beating ND in South Bend in 1984. The Gerry Faust Fighting Irish were a shell of their former selves, but for a program of our caliber to go in and win on a blue blood's turf still meant something...for us.

I think the meaning of the OU game will be determined by how the rest of the season goes. If we stumble to a 5-win season, the win won't mean diddly. It'll be as you stated, just a win over a middling and struggling program.

If, however, we somehow took off and got to 7 or 8 regular season wins then we could look back on the OU win as something of a turning point for the season.
I guess with UK imploding like they are, the OU win is the signature win of the season so far.

Reactions: 18IsTheMan

Harvard Gamecock

Jan 20, 2022

Reactions: KingWard

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
We have the 3rd most seniors in the nation that just beat an Oklahoma Sooner team that's a skeleton of past Oklahoma teams. I said early last week they are not your Daddy's Oklahoma Sooners and, thus, expected to beat them. Not only would I wait until the end of this season before ordering my crow, I'd wait until next season after we have lost much of this year's team, including, probably, the best coach on staff, Clayton White. But, I know little and claim less.

Reactions: cockyferg

Jaykid28

Jan 24, 2022
Another bye week before a big game concerns me
Me too....dee Ole Miss game
We have the 3rd most seniors in the nation that just beat an Oklahoma Sooner team that's a skeleton of past Oklahoma teams. I said early last week they are not your Daddy's Oklahoma Sooners and, thus, expected to beat them. Not only would I wait until the end of this season before ordering my crow, I'd wait until next season after we have lost much of this year's team, including, probably, the best coach on staff, Clayton White. But, I know little and claim less.
regardless of OK's condition right now, this is a huge win. you rarely beat OK at home. and in the furture, the record will always show a "W" at OK.

Reactions: Roosterbell

Roosterbell

Jul 29, 2022
Me too....dee Ole Miss game

regardless of OK's condition right now, this is a huge win. you rarely beat OK at home. and in the furture, the record will always show a "W" at OK.
It's also a great selling point to recruits. I do agree though, the Texas A&M game looms large.

This is a winnable game if we play well. Our offense doesn't need to go out and make dumb turnovers and penalties. Just sustain some drives, shorten the game and hope the defense can keep us in it with some big plays.

Beanerball

Jul 17, 2023
Everyone we play coming up but Wofford is ranked. If we canā€™t beat one of those teams to get bowl eligible then the season is a huge disappointment. Winning 2 of those games would make the season a good step forward. Yes , we have a lot of seniors, but we are relying on a lot of young talent on offense. The verdict is still out on this season. The one thing we canā€™t argue is that the team plays hard. Letā€™s see what happens.

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
I think it comes down to perspective. Is this a "big" win from a national perspective that will have an impact on the playoff race (see our 2022 TN win)? Almost certainly not. As said above, this is not your daddy's Oklahoma. Is this a "big" win from the perspective of a decades-long-suffering Gamecock fan who has seen us lose plenty of games like this over the years and who worried that the disappointment of losing a close one to Alabama would follow us to Norman? Absolutely.

To 18s point, the full impact of this win will be known by how well we follow it up in 2 weeks.

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
This is what I like about this board. It effectively crushes the delusions of the sunshine-pumpers. Some people take awhile to bring around, but given enough time and rehabilitation, the intelligent ones are converted.
I like intelligent discussion period.

PrestonyteParrot

May 28, 2024
Out in the hood they call it
"keeping it real" :cool:

This is what I like about this board. It effectively crushes the delusions of the sunshine-pumpers. Some people take awhile to bring around, but given enough time and rehabilitation, the intelligent ones are converted.
If the sunshine pumpers ''grew up in a middle-class neighborhood'' that could be a tough sell.

Latest posts

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login