Just because it is basketball season

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
NBA is awesome if you like watching scrimmage games with very little to no defense

MissStFan87

Feb 15, 2007
This has always been an odd take to me. I've watched a ton of NBA basketball over the past 15+ years, and I can't recall any games where I felt like there was a real lack of effort from either team on the defensive end. Sure, there are bad defenders (as a Grizzlies fan I can say Ja Morant is subpar on most defensive possessions, for example) scattered throughout the league, but I think too many people equate guarding the best players in the world with not playing defense. If low scoring basketball is more your preference, you can find plenty of it in college basketball... along with a plethora of bad passes, poor shooting, ill advised decisions, etc. That being said, I still enjoy both.

If you wanted to criticize the billion 3-point attempts every game (damn you, analytics), I'd be more inclined to agree.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
This has always been an odd take to me. I've watched a ton of NBA basketball over the past 15+ years, and I can't recall any games where I felt like there was a real lack of effort from either team on the defensive end. Sure, there are bad defenders (as a Grizzlies fan I can say Ja Morant is subpar on most defensive possessions, for example) scattered throughout the league, but I think too many people equate guarding the best players in the world with not playing defense. If low scoring basketball is more your preference, you can find plenty of it in college basketball... along with a plethora of bad passes, poor shooting, ill advised decisions, etc. That being said, I still enjoy both.

If you wanted to criticize the billion 3-point attempts every game (damn you, analytics), I'd be more inclined to agree.

Exactly go to one end shoot from the time line. Repeat in the opposite direction until the buzzer sounds. Stephen Curry is a great player but he ruined the NBA. 3's used to mean something special. Unlimited free agency destroyed the foundation of the team legacy You don't build a great team... you either buy one or the players reign in their egos enough to win a couple of titles together until they get tired of sharing the spotlight or someone offers more money. Shame that too much money is still not enough.

And I never remember Jordan, Byrd, Chamberlain, Magic or Bryant had to tell everyone who wasn't their sycophant that they were the G.O.A.T.

MissStFan87

Feb 15, 2007
Super teams are another understandable criticism, although it was encouraging to see a small market team (with a loyal superstar) like the Bucks win it all last year.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Sports evolve over time and shooting more threes is just part of that change. If you’re going to criticize three point attempts in the NBA then you need to do the same for college basketball because the number of attempts has gone up every year.

I hate the super team concept. It’s just lazy GMs with teams with money but those super teams that are out there aren’t doing so hot. Like 87 said, it was nice to see a small market team win it last year and the entertaining teams to watch this season aren’t super teams. The Bulls, Cavs, and Grizzlies just to name a few have a lot of young talent that are just out there balling. The Suns are fun to watch too and of course the Bucks. If you want to be a fan of a player in the NBA just jump on the Greek Freak bandwagon. One of the most humble players in the game and one of the biggest stars. You don’t see that often.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Right, and for every Ja(and he has improved), there’s a Dillon Brooks that could shut down virtually any player in college ball today. This idea that NBA players just stand around and watch guys shoot over them is completely false

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I could care less about the NBA but it's mainly because I don't like basketball. I never played past church league. But I tell my son, who does play, to get good at bombing 3's. To ignore this is pissing into the wind, like ignoring power in hitting baseballs, and the throw-happy version of football.

If I lived in an NBA town I'd probably get into it and go to a game or three. Same with soccer and hockey. Moreso with hockey, good Lord soccer is boring.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
That's the kind of effort Deion always gave in football when it was time to make a tackle. Hell of a cover corner but refused to hit anybody

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
My friend got some Grizz courtside seats about 5 years ago against the Rockets when Harden was there. That dude never stops talking. Talking to teammates, the ref, the opponents, the crowd. He’s nuts.

olblue.sixpack

Aug 23, 2012

An odd take indeed, especially from anyone who has actually been to a NBA game. Most of those guys get after it on the defensive end. But unlike college basketball, they are trying to guard guys who can actually make shots.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Exactly go to one end shoot from the time line. Repeat in the opposite direction until the buzzer sounds. Stephen Curry is a great player but he ruined the NBA. 3's used to mean something special. Unlimited free agency destroyed the foundation of the team legacy You don't build a great team... you either buy one or the players reign in their egos enough to win a couple of titles together until they get tired of sharing the spotlight or someone offers more money. Shame that too much money is still not enough.

And I never remember Jordan, Byrd, Chamberlain, Magic or Bryant had to tell everyone who wasn't their sycophant that they were the G.O.A.T.

You don't remember Larry Bird telling everyone how good he was, basically all the time? In fairness, he was right.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
An odd take indeed, especially from anyone who has actually been to a NBA game. Most of those guys get after it on the defensive end. But unlike college basketball, they are trying to guard guys who can actually make shots.

It's insane how good NBA players are at playing defense. What they are doing is so complicated and athletic that a lot of folks just can't comprehend it.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
How do you get out of the hot tub for the game? Seems that would be hard for you.

VegasDawg13

Jun 11, 2007

I like the NBA more than most here. I think the "no defense" perception comes from a few things.

1) There are absolutely some players that just do not try on defense, especially in the regular season. To deny this is to deny reality.

2) If a subpar shooter wants to take a midrange jump shot (or sometimes a 3) depending on the player), the defense lets him. This comes across as laziness. In reality, the defender making no attempt to close out on the shooter is strategic, not lazy.

3) Most NBA players make no attempt to grab an offensive rebound. Again, this is strategic because giving NBA-quality guards and wings the opportunity to get out ahead of the defense is giving them a near-automatic open 3 or layup. But it often appears like it's just lack of effort.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Dillon Brooks is one of those guys that you love because he’s on your team and would totally hate if he was on another playing against your team. Dillon the Villain.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login