Just call it what it is…

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Liberty is one of the Old Grand Bowls and it should be given it's respect. When there was only 16 bowls games it was one of them.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
This is the first time I’ve seen “Liberty Bowl” and “Grand” in the same sentence.

And I thought highly of the bowl at one time, but then I went to the ‘91 game.

SirBarksalot

May 28, 2007
This is the first time I’ve seen “Liberty Bowl” and “Grand” in the same sentence.

And I thought highly of the bowl at one time, but then I went to the ‘91 game.
We thought highly of every bowl at one time. Hell I remember thinking the Sun Bowl was awesome, but certainly not as many to go around.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
True.

My memories of the old pre-expansion Sun Bowl Stadium was that it was nice.

It was less than 20 years old and only seated 30,000 when I went there twice. It was the perfect size when you’ve got schools from Mississippi & North Carolina & Nebraska playing.

SirBarksalot

May 28, 2007
I guess it was more prestigious than I thought. Hell, I had no idea they paid out 4.5 million now. The truth is, I don’t watch many bowl games outside of ours and some other sec teams.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
The Sun Bowl is actually the second oldest bowl game (along with the Sugar and Orange bowls) after only the Rose Bowl. It was first played in 1935.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
The Sun Bowl itself is pretty old. I think started in ‘35?

Started out as a bowl game for southwestern schools/ old Border Conference champs.

The Sun Bowl Stadium itself was built in ‘63 and expanded in ‘82– a couple years after State played Nebraska out there.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Let’s be honest, precious few of these pre-New Year’s bowls have much to offer in the way of compelling football. That’s because there are few compelling storylines

Careful Rick, the majority of this crowd around here says you are nuts for thinking that, much less putting it in print. I totally agree with you on this one, ours will be the first one I've watched this season and outside a few other SEC teams will be all I'll care to see.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Careful Rick, the majority of this crowd around here says you are nuts for thinking that, much less putting it in print. I totally agree with you on this one, ours will be the first one I've watched this season and outside a few other SEC teams will be all I'll care to see.

If you need a compelling storyline to enjoy college football, maybe soap operas are more your speed.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
maybe soap operas are more your speed

Says the guy recently commenting on such blockbuster shows as "Titans" and "Young Justice".

If you watch that fantasy kiddie crap then I guess I understand why games like Minnesota-vs-West Virginia, Virginia Tech-vs-Maryland, Wisconsin-vs-AZ St etc appeal to you

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
It is entertainment so yes, they will try to build interest with the best story they can come up with. Are you tired of all the NCS stories yet? I just change the channel.

Dog316

Aug 21, 2012
True.

My memories of the old pre-expansion Sun Bowl Stadium was that it was nice.

It was less than 20 years old and only seated 30,000 when I went there twice. It was the perfect size when you’ve got schools from Mississippi & North Carolina & Nebraska playing.

<><><><>

Terry Vitrano up the middle for eight is my memory of State’s first play from scrimmage. Please feel free to correct me if I’m wrong. Its been a long time!

dudehead

Jul 9, 2006
<><><><>

Terry Vitrano up the middle for eight is my memory of State’s first play from scrimmage. Please feel free to correct me if I’m wrong. Its been a long time!

Yes, this was one of my favorite State teams with Vitrano and Walter Packer in the backfield wearing the tear aways. Vitrano showed out in that bowl, big time.

OliveBranchDAWG

Aug 22, 2012
Says the guy recently commenting on such blockbuster shows as "Titans" and "Young Justice".

If you watch that fantasy kiddie crap then I guess I understand why games like Minnesota-vs-West Virginia, Virginia Tech-vs-Maryland, Wisconsin-vs-AZ St etc appeal to you

So your stance is you don’t have much interest in watching CFB games outside of the SEC? Ok…?

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012

Awww, you remember my posts. I’m flattered!

You’re not going to nerd-shame me. I own it. Young Justice is a solid show. I stand by that. So was Justice League. So is Hawkeye. So is The Mandalorian. So was Battlestar Galactica.

I also love college football and all of those sound like pretty solid Power 5 matchups (outside maybe Maryland-VT) and I will be watching those games, sure. I mean being emotionally invested in a game is great, but I don’t need to know a “storyline” to know that Wisconsin and Arizona State is going to be worth watching. It’s young men competing. It’s one group of guys trying to take land, treasure, and glory away from another group of guys. If you can’t see the beauty and drama in that without some manufactured media narrative, I can’t help you.

But look man, if you want to put your head up your *** to avoid watching college football, God’s sport and our nation’s most valuable commodity, out of some weird purist pride, I’m not going to stop you. I’m sure Gunsmoke (another solid show) is on Decades or MeTV.

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009
Great article as usual, but the Liberty Bowl (and the City of Memphis) are just terrible. Nothing about the second worst city in the South (behind Jackson) interests me at all. I think you will see how excited we are to play in a few minutes when they show the crowd.

Egg Bowls, Access Bowls, Inside Bowls, Florida Bowls. Those are the 4 I get excited about.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login