Just going to throw this out there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024
I'll switch my allegiance for Trump and vote Kamala if she promises to cut bacon prices in half. And I've never voted for a Dem evah.

Last edited:
Reactions: FormerBully

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
I went to the grocery last week because I was picking up stuff to smoke a bacon wrapped pork tenderloin. I ended up smoking a non wrapped pork tenderloin. I think I spent five minutes looking through all the different bacons thinking I must be missing something

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
The bacon prices are stupid! And if someone wants to make it political, I'm going to need Trump and Biden to make some serious promises with some plans. A BLT will cost you $10 to make and that's damn UnAmerican!
Normally I would argue corporate consolidation.....but that's not the case for pork. Demand is actually outpacing supply. The problem is producing and processing has just gotten more expensive, in every part of the process.

I think we all got spoiled by globalization. Ancillary stuff got way cheaper, and this cancelled out normal price gains in the supply chain. For example, labor may have gone up in this period, but machine tools, construction materials, etc got cheaper. That's not the case anymore.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Normally I would argue corporate consolidation.....but that's not the case for pork. Demand is actually outpacing supply. The problem is producing and processing has just gotten more expensive, in every part of the process.

Considering how many barbecue places I’ve been to in the past couple months, I know there’s high demand.

No truth to the rumors that I’m responsible for 1 percent of it. **

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
“Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon.”

Yet another case of using a quote without understanding the context.

The REASON it is argued that inflation must always be a monetary phenomenon....is because it is assumed that markets are fully rational and responsive. Unfortunately, they're not.

BTW, here's an updated chart:

1721502410790.png
You arguing for upcoming deflation?

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022

The REASON it is argued that inflation must always be a monetary phenomenon....is because it is assumed that markets are fully rational and responsive. Unfortunately, they're not.

View attachment 613174
Or put another way, if the supply of pork doubles, while the supply of chicken halves.....the following increase in price of chicken is NOT a monetary phenomenon.

Supply and demand matter, no matter how much the cranks on the right wish they didn't.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007

View attachment 613174
I read bad things have historically happened to our economy after this type M2 decline but I'm not sure our present situation calls for high concerns. Your take ?

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022

I think we all got spoiled by globalization. Ancillary stuff got way cheaper, and this cancelled out normal price gains in the supply chain. For example, labor may have gone up in this period, but machine tools, construction materials, etc got cheaper. That's not the case anymore.
Ground pork is way cheaper than ground beef, pork loan isn't expensive, pork chops aren't crazy, chitlins are higher than a giraffe's pecker.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I can no longer remain in the closet and keep this a secret: I'm a heretic. I don't really care for bacon. It's o.k. once in a while but it's nothing special.
Conor Mcgregor GIF by UFC

• Haha
Reactions: Maroon Eagle

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I love bacon but have not tasted it in about seven years. It's not just bacon that has gotten too expensive at the groceries store.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
That’s % change from the year prior.

Here’s the updated M2 chart:
View attachment 613191

To answer your question: I expect the 2020s to be an inflationary decade with periods of deflation. The overall trend will be inflationary.
Well, technically the last 40 years had an inflationary trend. Just a low one. You mean more than that?

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Ground pork is way cheaper than ground beef, pork loan isn't expensive, pork chops aren't crazy, chitlins are higher than a giraffe's pecker.
Makes sense. Sounds like bacon is just being priced as a premium product. No idea why chitlins would be high though. More labor/processing intensive?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Or put another way, if the supply of pork doubles, while the supply of chicken halves.....the following increase in price of chicken is NOT a monetary phenomenon.

Supply and demand matter, no matter how much the cranks on the right wish they didn't.
Weren’t you just calling for a housing downturn during a housing shortage?

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I went to the grocery last week because I was picking up stuff to smoke a bacon wrapped pork tenderloin. I ended up smoking a non wrapped pork tenderloin. I think I spent five minutes looking through all the different bacons thinking I must be missing something
There are WAY too many bacon options right now.
I stand there staring at 30 slightly different packages of the same thing as well as 10 small boutique brands, trying to figure out which is the least bad deal to buy.

Thick cut
Low sodium regular cut
Thick cut low sodium
Double smoked regular cut
Naturally smoked thick cut
Double smoked thick cut
Center cut
Uncured no nitrate

Then when I find the one thars the least worst price, half the time I look closer and it's 12oz instead of 16oz.
17ing waste of time.

RopeDawg

Feb 24, 2023
I love bacon but have not tasted it in about seven years. It's not just bacon that has gotten too expensive at the groceries store.
Saw a video the other day where a guy found a grocery receipt from 2019 for $175 bucks for his groceries for the month. He went to the same grocery store the other day and bought the exact same stuff/same brand and the total came to $409

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
There are WAY too many bacon options right now.
I stand there staring at 30 slightly different packages of the same thing as well as 10 small boutique brands, trying to figure out which is the least bad deal to buy.

Thick cut
Low sodium regular cut
Thick cut low sodium
Double smoked regular cut
Naturally smoked thick cut
Double smoked thick cut
Center cut
Uncured no nitrate

Then when I find the one thars the least worst price, half the time I look closer and it's 12oz instead of 16oz.
17ing waste of time.
The cheap bacon is ridiculous. It’s paper thin.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
The cheap bacon is ridiculous. It’s paper thin.
Every time I don't get Wright's, it's a major disappointment. To me it's head and shoulders over anything else that isn't a specialty item you get from a butcher shop or something.

That said, the Krogers had pork butt on sale, which means if you have any kind of smoking skills you can eat like a king.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Every time I don't get Wright's, it's a major disappointment. To me it's head and shoulders over anything else that isn't a specialty item you get from a butcher shop or something.

That said, the Krogers had pork butt on sale, which means if you have any kind of smoking skills you can eat like a king.
Wrights is the king of bacon. There is a Kroger brand thick cut bacon that’s decent for a little cheaper. Kroger has the best prices on pork no matter what it is. They had big slabs of pork belly in Hernando Kroger a couple of weeks ago for a really good price.

My kids love panko breaded porkchop and it’s a cheap family meal. 10 pack of loin chops for 9.99.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Saw a video the other day where a guy found a grocery receipt from 2019 for $175 bucks for his groceries for the month. He went to the same grocery store the other day and bought the exact same stuff/same brand and the total came to $409
I have not looked at receipts, but I use to get about 1000 points a month at Kroger. We still buy the same stuff and now I am getting 1500 points a month.

Reactions: RopeDawg

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Wrights is the king of bacon. There is a Kroger brand thick cut bacon that’s decent for a little cheaper. Kroger has the best prices on pork no matter what it is. They had big slabs of pork belly in Hernando Kroger a couple of weeks ago for a really good price.

My kids love panko breaded porkchop and it’s a cheap family meal. 10 pack of loin chops for 9.99.
Try a Shake and Bake pork chop, you won’t be disappointed. We get the thin cut breakfast chops and do the Shake and Bake stuff and they’re excellent.

Reactions: DesotoCountyDawg

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Weren’t you just calling for a housing downturn during a housing shortage?
Don't think so.

Calling for, by advocating it be caused by raising rates? Certainly not.

You mean the thread I started about housing in the South? I started it because the claim I linked went against what I thought. The responses in the thread buttressed my prior thinking, that we are not about to see a downturn.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Try a Shake and Bake pork chop, you won’t be disappointed. We get the thin cut breakfast chops and do the Shake and Bake stuff and they’re excellent.
They still make shake and bake? I haven't seen that in years. I used to love me some shake and bake chicken thighs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login