Just got Google Fiber

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Went from a locked in $60/month for up to 100mbps(usually about 50mps in reality) and unlimited use with phone company to a locked in $70/month for 1gb and unlimited use with Google Fiber. Install took 45min and they gave us a router plus secondary mesh router for our basement.
Just 18mo ago we had a cable model that cost $75/mo for 10mps and had a data cap.

Speed is 980mbps consistently and the price is locked in until we cancel the service.

Inflation is real, but the times when prices are dropping hard need to also be recognized.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Fiber internet is definitely the way to go. We have Cspire fiber. It’s essentially the same as what we we were paying for cable with Comcast and much faster. We basically run everything on wifi and easily get 300-400 mbps.

grinningmule

Jul 15, 2021
Not sure I would use that as an example of prices dropping hard during inflation. All depends on where you live and which crappy companies have the monopoly in your area. I was paying 70/month flat rate for gigabit fiber 8 years ago in podunk Clovis, NM. Now I'm paying 50/month for crappy 100 mb/s cable in Idaho because right now I don't have alternatives; but the city is currently laying their own fiber network which they will own and lease out to providers.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Funny, I just got ATT fiber, literally today. Went from $40/month 25 Mbps to $65/month 500 Mbps. Yes it went up in price but damn this **** can fly now. Now I might actually cut the cable, which I have put off doing simply due to the internet speeds.

coachnorm

Jul 23, 2015
Now you are in the game. Get YouTube TV for $65.00 and put family members on your account. Being that your family members have free YouTube TV on your account, have them get Netflix, Apple Plus and Amazon for less than $50.00 and have them put you on their family account? This way no one in your family pays more than $65.00? Maybe another family member might get another streaming service and add on to your collection?

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Not sure I would use that as an example of prices dropping hard during inflation. All depends on where you live and which crappy companies have the monopoly in your area. I was paying 70/month flat rate for gigabit fiber 8 years ago in podunk Clovis, NM. Now I'm paying 50/month for crappy 100 mb/s cable in Idaho because right now I don't have alternatives; but the city is currently laying their own fiber network which they will own and lease out to providers.

Oh, I am not suggesting this should actually be something to point to in response to inflation claims.
Just saying that as prices rise all around, I pay less now than 2 years and have exponentially faster service. Not everything is going up in price.

Yes I fully agree that this is heavily dependent on location.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
Funny, I just got ATT fiber, literally today. Went from $40/month 25 Mbps to $65/month 500 Mbps. Yes it went up in price but damn this **** can fly now. Now I might actually cut the cable, which I have put off doing simply due to the internet speeds.

I cut the cord not long ago and went from 300 Mbps to 50 with Comcast and honestly I can’t tell the difference in speed. I’m on YT tv at the moment and response time & video quality is excellent. I’m paying $40/mo for internet. Fiber has recently been installed in my neighborhood but not active yet. Plan to check pricing when up. I believe it’s CSpire.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Went from a locked in $60/month for up to 100mbps(usually about 50mps in reality) and unlimited use with phone company to a locked in $70/month for 1gb and unlimited use with Google Fiber. Install took 45min and they gave us a router plus secondary mesh router for our basement.
Just 18mo ago we had a cable model that cost $75/mo for 10mps and had a data cap.

Speed is 980mbps consistently and the price is locked in until we cancel the service.

Inflation is real, but the times when prices are dropping hard need to also be recognized.

Now compare the combined cost of internet+gasoline+a gallon of milk today versus this time three years ago.

Will my truck run on google fiber?

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
We installed Google Fiber and switched over the YouTube TV a few weeks ago. We opted for the 2G package for $100, but in hindsight it was probably overkill.

Wi-Fi runs 600 - 900 mbps consistently. YouTube TV has been solid too.

ETA: Google’s contractors were awful.

coachnorm

Jul 23, 2015
We installed Google Fiber and switched over the YouTube TV a few weeks ago. We opted for the 2G package for $100, but in hindsight it was probably overkill.

Wi-Fi runs 600 - 900 mbps consistently. YouTube TV has been solid too.

ETA: Google’s contractors were awful.

If you have an iPhone make contact with Apple and let them know that you just got streaming connected. Ask for a complimentary year of Apple+ and I bet you get it. You'll be set up for Ted Lasso?

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Now compare the combined cost of internet+gasoline+a gallon of milk today versus this time three years ago.

Will my truck run on google fiber?

Wow. This was not meant to be a discussion about inflation or some argument about it not happening. Holy ****, I recognize inflation is happening. I recognize the dollar of everyone in the middle class and lower is being squeezed.
My flippant comment in the first post about inflation was simply a way to say how cool it is that something that is for all intents and purposes essential, has dropped in price significantly. That is rare, so I thought it would be neat to point out.

I dont know what 1gb internet would have cost 3 years ago, but considering 10mb was more expensive than my 1gb right now, I imagine it was pretty expensive.

Also, no your truck will not run on google fiber, just like your internet will not run on gasoline.

Eleven Bravo

Aug 31, 2018

That’s great! I’m not sure why so many people are downvoting your post-it must be straight-up jealousy. People like me who live in the middle of the woods don’t have cable at our disposal, and we never will have it. That **** costs like $30,000/mile to run the cable. The best a lot of us can do is just envy people like you. Thank God someone on this messsge board mentioned “AT&T direct wireless” here about 2 years ago-I had never heard or it before reading about it here. I checked to see if it was available to me, and was shocked to see that it was. Seems there is an AT&T cell tower less than a mile from me, and it has worked very well. Prior to that, I had 2 choices-HughesNet or Viasat. Both of those are satellite providers and latency was a huge issue. This AT&T direct wireless has a data cap (350 GB per month) so I can’t “cut the cord”, but at least it’s the fastest internet I’ve ever had here at my house. 30Mbps download and average of 10-15 Mbps upload is fast compared to satellite. You can burn through that 350 GB per month very quickly so we use it exclusively for internet and don’t even attempt to stream anything to our TV’s. I have signed up for the Elon Musk (Starlink?) service months ago and am told that it takes about a year to get it. The people I know who have it love it, and they have been able to cut the cord for sure. This AT&T direct wireless is $60/month + $10 for 50 GB extra data if you go over, and my DirecTV bill runs around $260/month. The Starlink is $110/month for unlimited right now. That’s the best I can hope for. I can’t wait to call DirecTV and tell them to go 17 themselves after all these years of being bent over by those bastards.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Do you recognize the times always or just when it fits your agenda?

What and what?

What times are you referring to and what agenda?

Again, I found it really cool that I can get something 100x faster than what I had a couple years ago for less money, so I posted about it.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
^

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
C Spire fiber is 1GB symmetrical down and up and no monthly bandwidth limits. Huge difference when working from home. Wired Ethernet to your laptop/desktop is the only way to get those speeds on any fiber provider.

And C Spire builds out in places where Google and AT&T just don't care enough to build. Everyone should get fiber if they can from someone, it's up time is much better and speed is obviously better.

And don't buy the forced TV bundle. Use YouTube TV. Works better on your phone and out of the house.

And finally get a mesh router and put them around your house, don't use extenders and don't use a single router in one place in your home unless it's under 1200 square feet.

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login