Just saw where we got the **** kicked out of us in baseball

sixpackmafia

Feb 24, 2008
.....sad thing was polk said he felt good about the pitching carrying this team this year....that's not good...

and for all you kool aid drinkers who think its ok to lose, it's freaking North Florida.....and we lost 2 of 3 to them....on a really bad year, we should win 2 of 3, no less....

this pisses me off...

D

sixpackmafia

Feb 24, 2008
.....sad thing was polk said he felt good about the pitching carrying this team this year....that's not good...

and for all you kool aid drinkers who think its ok to lose, it's freaking North Florida.....and we lost 2 of 3 to them....on a really bad year, we should win 2 of 3, no less....

this pisses me off...

D

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008
Settle down, we are 3 games into the season for Christ's sake. We lost to some pretty bad teams last year and we seemed to finish out ok. I am not saying we will finish as good, I am just saying it is to early to start jumping off of ledges

GOPdog

Jun 24, 2007
We lost to Winthrop and Dallas-Baptist last year. Calm down, 3 games does not a season make

BewareOfMSUDawg

Oct 8, 2006
Bowl game in football, likely NCAA bid in hoops. We may be destined to suck horribly in baseball this year (although it's early and we can still be pretty good).

patdog

May 28, 2007
Quote:_________________________________________________3 games does not a season make _________________________________________________
No, but when one of my biggest concerns going into the season was where in the hell this team was going to be able to find some decent pitching, games 2 and 3 don't leave me real optimistic. I still say that Weatherford should be starting. He might be the best closer in the SEC but if we can't get him the ball in save situations, he's useless. I'd love to have the luxury of using him as a closer, but we don't have the starting pitching to allow that.

windcrysmary

Nov 11, 2007
line because that is the only way to describe our opener

giving up that many runs to this team is a bad omen...

I'm glad we made it to omaha last year but I've always believed it was luck and all the mediocre crap Polk has brought since his return was swept under the rug by the kool aid drinkers... it was an unrealistic welfare check bestowed upon his royal hyness...

reality is back...pitching should be ahead at this early point.. I could stomach a few 2-3 run losses vs what happened this weekend at this early juncture...

this blows... we should have gone elsewhere to replace mcmahon...

studentdawg87

Feb 24, 2008
agree about weatherford...pigott is crafty and gets the job done but outside him all of our pitchers are prolly middle relief on most good teams...Polk just doesn't seem to be able to bring in the pitching talent neccasary to have a top-flight program

Todd04State

May 2, 2006
OK I'm going to be the first to say this- we need to shake up our staff.

Fri. Pigott
Sat. Forrest Moore
Sun. Bullpen committee. LaRussa does this sometimes. He'll have a "bullpen game". Starter who is a long reliever goes 3, next guy pitches the 4th and 5th, next guy pitches the 6th, set-up pitches 7th, set-up pitches 8th, closer pitches 9th. Regardless of the situation

Weds and Thurs. God help us. Bullpen games as well.

Now my bullpen committee game would look like this.

Crosswhite first, mainly because of his starting experience
Bowen 4th and 5th
Lalor 6th and 7th
Weatherford 8th and 9th.

Houston in an emergency.

Polk won't do it, though. It's not in the book.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I'd go with:

Fri - Weatherford
Sat - Pigott, with a quick hook after 5 innings
Sun - Crosswhite, with a quick hook after 5 innings

Midweek - pray for rain

Bullpen - Bowen, Lalor, Moore, Wilson

Anybody else notice that Moore, Wilson and Lalor pitched a combined 4 shutout innings on Friday and then didn't pitch again the rest of the weekend, while the rest of the staff was giving up 28 runs in 16 innings? Way to manage a pitching staff there Polk.

Feb 24, 2008
doesn't want to start. Quite frankly, his arm wouldn't hold up over a season. Aaron knows it, and is cool with it. He will pitch out of the bullpen at the next level, as well.

patdog

May 28, 2007
He should have gone pro last year if he wanted to be a closer. He pitched 1 completely meaningless inning this weekend. If he'd started Friday or Saturday, we'd probably be sitting at 2-1 right now instead of 1-2.

One other possible way to use him wisely this year:

Fri - Pigott
Sat - Crosswhite

Weatherford only pitches Friday or Saturday in save situations. If he doesn't pitch either Friday or Saturday, he starts Sunday. Otherwise he's in the bullpen Sunday.

DawgTeacher

Feb 24, 2008
It's early, Polk is trying to get a feel of this squad. So many new and young guys competing with those from last years team. Let the man do his job and get us back to Omaha. I remember everybody wanting Polk's head mid-season last year because of the debacle at Dallas-Baptist, then ended up going as far as a college baseball team could...just sayin

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
I know your Cardinal fans think LaRussa is a genius, but there is a reason NO ONE else does that with their pitching staff. It's a terrible idea. Pick a starter, run him out there, and leave him til you need to pull him. Or do the Lou Pinella method and pull him to save him for a later game, which turns out to be next year.

patdog

May 28, 2007
0-2 in Omaha is as far as a college baseball team can go? Oregon St. will be surprised to hear that.

Todd04State

May 2, 2006
with his bullpen games usually pays off, especially when the Cardinals go to the postseason. He very rarely does it. Most teams call up a guy from AAA, or use someone who pitched all year in AAA in Sept. and sometimes you get into a disadvantage on the mound.

At least with the bullpen games, you usually have a long reliever who has big league starting experience and has been pitching in the big leagues all year. Plus, you can get your bullpen some work and rest your starters an extra day and keep them fresh for the postseason.

DawgTeacher

Feb 24, 2008
IS as far as you can go. Only 7 teams were left when we finished the season and actually on 6 after that part of the tourney was over. I'll take that.

Stormrider81

May 1, 2006
Quote:_________________________________________________It must have been the pressure from the home crowd._________________________________________________
That only works against us, not visiting teams. Well, unless that visiting team happens to be those whiney *** Clempson Tigers.

Jun 4, 2007
at the moment, but i don't think we should be worried. we've essentially go the same guys we had last year who did just fine. with this coaching staff, i feel much more confident in being able to shore up the pitching staff than trying to come out of a hitting slump.

maybe this little setback will be enought knock polk off his "i made the CWS last year" stool and get him to coach a little harder.

jackbaddawg

Nov 16, 2005
the season & our pitchers just got rocked by North Florida. Butch Cassidy say: Who are those guys?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login