Justin Foscue

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
I guess it's been an interesting couple of days for Justin Foscue. Sunday morning he was the Rangers 4th ranked prospect per MLB.com with an ETA of the big leagues of 2023, but in the last two days the Rangers have signed both Marcus Semien and Corey Seager to mega-contracts. If those two are the up-the-middle combo for the foreseeable future, where does that leave Foscue? The Rangers have him at second base now. Third base I guess could be an option, but the guy who played short for them this year played third last year and while that bat isn't that good, he won a Gold Glove at third, plus they have Josh Hung from Texas Tech who is the second ranked prospect in the organization. (Jung and Foscue are 1-2 in the Rangers prospect rankings on Fangraphs. Either way you slice it, they are valuable commodities.) I don't imagine they see Seager, Semien or Foscue as a DH either. Perhaps the Rangers are anticipating making a run and Foscue and/or Jung become the centerpiece of a trade next year, probably to address their pitching needs. Will be interesting to follow what happens with him for sure.

DAWG61

Feb 26, 2008
Kiner-Fillafels was awful at the plate the entire 2nd half. I like Foscue's odds.

Yim Yames

Nov 22, 2017
They could trade him for sure, but if his bat is good enough they will find a spot for him.

dawgflo

Nov 17, 2021
Adam Frazier played outfield for a while. I agree with ^^^ that if his bat is hot, they will find a spot for him.

UncleChuck

Aug 6, 2021
Rangers definitely have a log jam at Mid-IF now. On top of IKF (who will probably play 3B until Jung gets settled, or be traded to NYY), 5 of the top 10 prospects for Texas are all Mid-IF. I think all rankings have Foscue above Smith/Duran/Acuna/Acosta, but they are probably all close.

Foscue hitting .990 OPS and 17 HR in limited time last year is a bit eye popping, but that may make him the most valuable trade piece for a SP.

It will all come down to who can play the most positions as Utility bc every day players are locked in…or who can move to LF. Adolis will likely play CF after he was fine the end of last season and Kohl Calhoun locks up RF.

My guess is Foscue will probably be suiting up for another team in the next 18 months, unfortunately. He’s got best numbers at the plate and can probably get best return for him. 1st rounders are not supposed to platoon/utility players.

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
That's what I was thinking too. Jung is a natural 3B so no need for the Rangers to move Foscue there when they already have what they think is the answer. With the money invested up the middle seemingly blocking Foscue at either of those positions (I don't think he's a SS anyway), he probably makes the most sense as the trade chip to get more pitching. If he continues to rake in the first half of 22, he could be on the move at the deadline.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login