Kiffin about to go to A&M isn’t he?

HammerOfTheDogs

Aug 6, 2004
No one said it was a better job, but at OM win 8 games/year and he's king for life. In hindsight, Danny boy probably wishes he'd stayed at MSU, in spite of UF being the better job. Lame likely faces little inside or outside interference in Oxford, that would be the case at TAMU. Plus he has a kid(s) in school there (I think?).
You really think the uptight Aggie "Former Students" would stand for this?

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
I don't think he's anywhere near their top choice, but they aren't going to get their top choice. All it takes is a little chaos to have some top jobs calling coaches of Kiffin's caliber (good but not top job good) and offering stupid money.

And if he wants to win a national championship, Texas A&M is about as good as he could do as far as talent. I only see three teams more talented:
  1. Alabama - They would never hire Kiffin.
  2. Georgia - Kirby isn't leaving anytime soon.
  3. Ohio State - This one could open up but not guaranteed.
If A&M strikes out a few times and goes down their list, it would be hard for Kiffin to turn them down.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
I don't think he's anywhere near their top choice, but they aren't going to get their top choice. All it takes is a little chaos to have some top jobs calling coaches of Kiffin's caliber (good but not top job good) and offering stupid money.
I’ll be devils advocate. Why is he not top job good? He did really well at USC when you consider the ncaa crap and scholarship limitations he inherited. He’s doing better than anyone else at OM since segregation ended.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

And if he wants to win a national championship, Texas A&M is about as good as he could do as far as talent. I only see three teams more talented:
If A&M strikes out a few times and goes down their list, it would be hard for Kiffin to turn them down.
You’d be very surprised how many Bama fans want Kiffin. He’s the first name that always comes up when talk of Saban’s eventual heir apparent arises.

FreshAsHail

Nov 7, 2023
The A&M job is better, but its only marginally better. You can get to the 12-team CFP from Ole Miss about as easily as you can from A&M. Arguably more easily if the last 10 years are any indication.

A&M and Auburn jobs are about the same level, and Kiffin already turned that one down. So, it doesn’t seem to make sense that he’d leap for a similar opportunity a year later.
Have you seen the talent that A&M has shown they can get?? OM will never sniff that kind of talent. Did you watch his press conference after getting killed by Georgia. You can tell he knows he’s reached his limit at OM and he is just itching for the kind of talent Georgia gets. He can get that at A&M.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
You’d be very surprised how many Bama fans want Kiffin. He’s the first name that always comes up when talk of Saban’s eventual heir apparent arises.
Funny, I feel like for a long time, that was Dabo. I wonder if his inability to adjust to the portal/NIL era has significantly damaged his future hirability.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
If he went there he would not have the success he has had in Oxford, so I truly believe that the aTm job would be a match made in heaven… for a time.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Have you seen the talent that A&M has shown they can get?? OM will never sniff that kind of talent. Did you watch his press conference after getting killed by Georgia. You can tell he knows he’s reached his limit at OM and he is just itching for the kind of talent Georgia gets. He can get that at A&M.
I stand by what I said. Ole Miss has sent more players to the NFL under Kiffin’s tenure than A&M has….and its a roughly even number over a longer period than that. They’ve been better at recruiting QB’s, which is the biggest equalizer for mid tier programs.

A&M still is a better job, but its not much better. They aren’t a Bama, LSU, UF, or UGA type job, and they never will be.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
If that were true, Nick Saban would still be at Michigan State.
That doesn't mean they won't go for a bigger higher paying job. A&M Will eventually land a coach that can win there. They have every other ingredient.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
That doesn't mean they won't go for a bigger higher paying job. A&M Will eventually land a coach that can win there. They have every other ingredient.
Michigan State has a $3.9 Billion endowment. LSU’s is about 1/6th of that. The other MSU could have potentially matched the offer if it was about money, but it wasn’t.

When Saban left Michigan State, one of the major reasons he listed was the Michigan State brand. He said when he tried to recruit in-state, he was always recruiting in the shadow of the University of Michigan. If he tried to recruit Ohio, he was in the shadow of Ohio State. If he tried to recruit in the east, he was in the shadow of Penn State. If he tried to recruit Chicago, he was in the shadow of just about every other Big Ten school.

In other words, Nick Saban, inarguably the greatest coach of the BCS/CFP era and one of the greatest of all-time, simply could not win big at Michigan State, so no, good coaches don’t believe they can win anywhere.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
He will fail there just like Jimbo. The culture is the problem at aTm.

Kiffin doesn’t fit there. Needs to wait on Florida.
Not true - Kiffin is a great coach, all he needs is the money, backing, prestige and spotlight of a major national powerhouse sleeping giant like A&M. They have 70,000 students, uncountable alumni and donors. Unlimited resources, and they are willing to put it all in. It's the perfect spot for him and he knows it. He's been waiting semi-patiently for an opening like this for years after having to pander to faux-rich douchebags and pretending to like oxford. He's basically done all the work by himself and single-handedly dragged them into relevancy (temporarily) this year, but that is short lived and he knows it. I feel sorry for the guy, and he needs to get out while he can. It's unsustainable at ole miss. He can go be the legend he is meant to be in College Station. This has been Bjork's long game plan, and he's played it perfectly.

Now please, stop spouting nonsense about the culture at A&M. That's all lies and rumors made up by haters. Shut up and let this play out.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
The talent is already at A&M. Jimbo has been recruiting top 5 classes the last 5 years
Yes, even lame old redneck JIMBO has been recruiting top classes. Imagine what a young, fiery, incredibly smart guy like Kiffin could do there. Look out Kirby and Nick, there's a new king on the way. Do it, Lane. You deserve this. You allllll deserve this.**

PapaDawg

Nov 19, 2014
College Football Yes GIF by SEC Network
but the TX property taxes more than make up for no state income tax.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I stand by what I said. Ole Miss has sent more players to the NFL under Kiffin’s tenure than A&M has….and its a roughly even number over a longer period than that. They’ve been better at recruiting QB’s, which is the biggest equalizer for mid tier programs.

A&M still is a better job, but its not much better. They aren’t a Bama, LSU, UF, or UGA type job, and they never will be.
A&M isn't those places, but it is still for better or worse a significantly better job than Ole Miss and MSU. Before NIL you could argue that the culture and being little brother in a state full of overrated talent made it not nearly as good as the money says it should be. Now their problem is some combination of ****** coaching and/or player evaluation. Hire the right person to fix that and the only downside to that job is outsized expectations and their terrible *** cheer leaders.

OT, but I'm not sure Bama is LSU, UF, or UGA going forward. Their big advantage before was having a crazy rabid fan base willing to pay players more to go along with their history. With NIL, other schools can pay as much or more over the table. When Saban leaves, they very easily could become Auburn. Still a good program and capable of winning a national championship if the cards fall just right, but not a top tier program.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Not true - Kiffin is a great coach, all he needs is the money, backing, prestige and spotlight of a major national powerhouse sleeping giant like A&M. They have 70,000 students, uncountable alumni and donors. Unlimited resources, and they are willing to put it all in. It's the perfect spot for him and he knows it. He's been waiting semi-patiently for an opening like this for years after having to pander to faux-rich douchebags and pretending to like oxford. He's basically done all the work by himself and single-handedly dragged them into relevancy (temporarily) this year, but that is short lived and he knows it. I feel sorry for the guy, and he needs to get out while he can. It's unsustainable at ole miss. He can go be the legend he is meant to be in College Station. This has been Bjork's long game plan, and he's played it perfectly.

Now please, stop spouting nonsense about the culture at A&M. That's all lies and rumors made up by haters. Shut up and let this play out.

I still suspect he'd rather be at UF. Hell, I think he'd rather be at Miami if they could convince him they will put up the NIL money.

That said, I suspect the only chance UM has of keeping Kiffin is A&M deciding they have a better prospect or Kiffin stringing them along trying to see what happens with Napier and UF, and then A&M moving on and UF not firing Napier.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Michigan State has a $3.9 Billion endowment. LSU’s is about 1/6th of that. The other MSU could have potentially matched the offer if it was about money, but it wasn’t.

When Saban left Michigan State, one of the major reasons he listed was the Michigan State brand. He said when he tried to recruit in-state, he was always recruiting in the shadow of the University of Michigan. If he tried to recruit Ohio, he was in the shadow of Ohio State. If he tried to recruit in the east, he was in the shadow of Penn State. If he tried to recruit Chicago, he was in the shadow of just about every other Big Ten school.

In other words, Nick Saban, inarguably the greatest coach of the BCS/CFP era and one of the greatest of all-time, simply could not win big at Michigan State, so no, good coaches don’t believe they can win anywhere.
Michigan State does not pay that kind of money for a football coach. Endowment has nothing to do with athletics.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
This is the biggest problem in college football. That it has become commonplace and expected that 95% of the sport feeds the 5% and that that 5% is really all that matters. I know Lane is older now and better than he was, but he kinda had all that money, prestige and support at Tennessee and we know what happened there.

We of the 95% need to really figure out something that allows one of us to get into the group that matters.

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022

Co-worker of mine is a Michigan alum and is convinced that when (not if) Harbaugh leaves for the NFL again, that they have Kiffin as their top choice. So much so that a portion of the fanbase wants Harbaugh to go ahead and go now (especially with the Stallions/suspension distraction) and they're convinced that they'll lose their shot at Lane if they don't hurry up and do it soon.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Lane Train is obviously a good coach but he is also a really weird dude. That introverted personality you see in his press conferences is the real him. Only certain places that he would fit in I think. Honestly I am surprised that he has been in Oxford as long as he has. He just doesn’t fit in there at all. ATM seems like the perfect place for him. They have lots of weird dudes around there.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login