Kiffin, "NIL... Disaster!"

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Ole Miss coach Lane Kiffin didn't wait for questions on the impact of the transfer portal and name, image and likeness deals at SEC media days on Thursday. Instead, he addressed both topics during his opening statement, calling the current state of college football a "disaster.

Disaster

Reactions: horshack.sixpack

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Ole Miss coach Lane Kiffin didn't wait for questions on the impact of the transfer portal and name, image and likeness deals at SEC media days on Thursday. Instead, he addressed both topics during his opening statement, calling the current state of college football a "disaster.

Disaster
He's absolutely right. We need structure. But even if we get it, people love to skirt rules and pay under the table in college sports. The haves will always stay a couple steps ahead and the have nots will always try to keep up. Just the way it is.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
Kiffin prefaced his comments by saying he's happy that players can get paid but that the unintended consequence of NIL is a "pay-for-play" system where players follow the money and the teams with the deepest pockets get the best talent.

Now apply that to the coaching profession and see if you're willing to characterize the coaching salaries in the college game as a disaster. Can't have it both ways. The best coaches want the most money and they're willing to coach at the schools with the deepest pockets.

That being said, I don't see the overall talent level at MSU shifting much pre-NIL to post-NIL.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
NIL itself isn't a disaster. It needed to be implemented in like 1985 when things were first starting to get bad, instead of being idiots and destroying a conference and a program (SWC and SMU). Even still, it's impact was so immediate, it'll feel like a disaster until the newness wears off, and I see that happening now.

Introducing the immediate eligibility out of the portal is what made this a disaster, now you have to recruit your own team to stay. THAT isn't sustainable.

And I say this knowing full well that the portal has been a net positive for MSU. But long-term I don't think it's good for college sports. It's going to further weaken the G5 for certain.

I wish they'd modify the portal, and make it where you could leave after your freshman year, then you have to stay until you graduate (or sit a year). That would cut down on the NIL going to transfers. This would also give the recruits a year to see if the coach was just BS-ing you or not during the high school recruiting process. Then also allow immediate transfers with coaching changes.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
The following quotes from that article are why football as we've known it for decades is going to die unless drastic measures are taken QUICKLY. Otherwise, ticket sales, concession sales, parking pass sales, hotel sales, restaurant sales, etc are going down the tube w/ the game itself and if its not quickly corrected it will be too late to get everyone back. This doesn't even address the crazy costs of tickets, hotels, gasoline, ease of staying home and watching your own big screen in your a/c with a grill and cheap beverages. All of you that wanted to pay them, well here's your current solution in a nutshell

Kiffin Quotes:

"calling the current state of college football a 'disaster' "

"the unintended consequence of NIL is a 'pay-for-play' system where players follow the money and the teams with the deepest pockets get the best talent"

"I don't think that's really good for college football. These massive overhauls of rosters every year really is not in the best interest of college football"

"a poor system that isn't getting better and now is going to get worse"

"somehow it's got to get fixed because there's no system around it"

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
The fix is easy. The NCAA having the balls to fix it is the hard part: You transfer from FBS to FBS, you sit out one year. Period.

NIL and the transfer portal aren't the problem. Combining these with immediate eligibility is the problem.

Players don't want to sit for a year. Collectives don't want to pay players to sit. Both parties will only do this if it is in their long-term interests. Immediate eligibility makes it extremely easy for players to hop around for a payday. Making them sit won't stop them from transferring, but it will bring sanity to it.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
NIL itself isn't a disaster.
In its present form it ABSOLUTELY is a disaster. Uncontrolled payments for doing absolutely nothing IS a disaster just like he is saying. It only breeds uncontrolled gains for the richer and makes the weaker fall further behind. There is NO parity in it and it can't survive like this

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
The following quotes from that article are why football as we've known it for decades is going to die unless drastic measures are taken QUICKLY. Otherwise, ticket sales, concession sales, parking pass sales, hotel sales, restaurant sales, etc are going down the tube w/ the game itself and if its not quickly corrected it will be too late to get everyone back. This doesn't even address the crazy costs of tickets, hotels, gasoline, ease of staying home and watching your own big screen in your a/c with a grill and cheap beverages. All of you that wanted to pay them, well here's your current solution in a nutshell

Kiffin Quotes:

"calling the current state of college football a 'disaster' "

"the unintended consequence of NIL is a 'pay-for-play' system where players follow the money and the teams with the deepest pockets get the best talent"

"I don't think that's really good for college football. These massive overhauls of rosters every year really is not in the best interest of college football"

"a poor system that isn't getting better and now is going to get worse"

"somehow it's got to get fixed because there's no system around it"

And we'll get to watch Q. Judkins have his way with Mercer on September 2nd and there won't be any hand wringing coming from Kiffin's hypocritcal *** when the scores ends up 69-0.

Reactions: drumrcraig

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
While I agree with the sentiment it is a little hypocritical coming from him.
To paraphrase he said a guy may say I don’t like the way I’m being coached or I don’t like the way I’m being talked to so I can go somewhere else where they may pay me more and is a better fit for me.
Kind of like a guy can say, I don’t like that our fans wear bow ties and eat cold chicken tenders and my team has never played in an SEC championship game so I can go somewhere where they will pay me more, don’t wear bow ties, and have been to an SEC championship game. Oh 9 million dollars? It ain’t so bad here.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Introducing the immediate eligibility out of the portal is what made this a disaster, now you have to recruit your own team to stay. THAT isn't sustainable.
I feel like a lot of people in college sports understand this, but the courage to do something about it isn't there. They should have never granted immediate eligibility. You allow one exception, you have to allow another. Next, you have to open it to everyone.

There is such a fear of being perceived as anti-player, it will be extremely hard to get the toothpaste back in the tube.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Kiffin prefaced his comments by saying he's happy that players can get paid but that the unintended consequence of NIL is a "pay-for-play" system where players follow the money and the teams with the deepest pockets get the best talent.

Now apply that to the coaching profession and see if you're willing to characterize the coaching salaries in the college game as a disaster. Can't have it both ways. The best coaches want the most money and they're willing to coach at the schools with the deepest pockets.

That being said, I don't see the overall talent level at MSU shifting much pre-NIL to post-NIL.
Yep. Apply a cap to the coaching staff as well if you want one for players. And actually enforce the rules and nail programs that violate the framework regardless of money or status (we know this will never happen).

Reactions: josebrown

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
The fix is easy. The NCAA having the balls to fix it is the hard part: You transfer from FBS to FBS, you sit out one year. Period.

NIL and the transfer portal aren't the problem. Combining these with immediate eligibility is the problem.

Players don't want to sit for a year. Collectives don't want to pay players to sit. Both parties will only do this if it is in their long-term interests. Immediate eligibility makes it extremely easy for players to hop around for a payday. Making them sit won't stop them from transferring, but it will bring sanity to it.
Not paying them while they sit would stop it. No play, no pay. But, nobody has the balls to do that

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
The networks have got to be quietly laughing their asses off . The dumba$$ supporters are paying the players salaries and they're making the profits off of it.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
He's absolutely right. We need structure. But even if we get it, people love to skirt rules and pay under the table in college sports. The haves will always stay a couple steps ahead and the have nots will always try to keep up. Just the way it is.
Yes, he is. Then it shows how he is using the lax "rules" to build his team.

There do need to make basic rules but you are exactly right. The Haves will always get ahead further and faster than the Have Nots because we made it specifically and openly about money.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
The networks have got to be quietly laughing their asses off . The dumba$$ supporters are paying the players salaries and they're making the profits off of it.
Its the schools that are "quietly laughing their asses off". The whole premise of NIL was that the schools were getting rich off of the backs of the poor athletes with huge tv contracts, our very own SEC yearly payments, jersey and sportswear sales, etc. And here we are now, the schools are asking us the fans to pay and they continue to collect the same $$$ as before and aren't paying anything additional for NIL

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I feel like a lot of people in college sports understand this, but the courage to do something about it isn't there. They should have never granted immediate eligibility. You allow one exception, you have to allow another. Next, you have to open it to everyone.

There is such a fear of being perceived as anti-player, it will be extremely hard to get the toothpaste back in the tube.
They could just blame it on COVID, if they were smart. Just say we are 'sunsetting' the policy, which was based on the virtual recruiting scene in 2020.

Reactions: Susanp62

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
In its present form it ABSOLUTELY is a disaster. Uncontrolled payments for doing absolutely nothing IS a disaster just like he is saying. It only breeds uncontrolled gains for the richer and makes the weaker fall further behind. There is NO parity in it and it can't survive like this
It's just all happening at once. It'll thin out as more kids are busts and boosters get sick of it. Or....a recession.

All you mouth breathers talking about a disaster are just doomsaying. If the world didn't end in 2020, it won't. Relax.

Mississippi State will survive too.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
He's 100% right. But unlike Ron Polk, he's not letting his bitching about the NCAA get in the way of adapting to and using the rules and building competitive teams.
Yeah nobody has the appetite to listen to coaches b*tch. They are so overpaid it's stupid.

The only real reason we are concerned is that it affects MSU. I've not heard a fan of a single 'have' school complaining. It's business as usual for them, as far as fandom.

Reactions: patdog

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Its the schools that are "quietly laughing their asses off". The whole premise of NIL was that the schools were getting rich off of the backs of the poor athletes with huge tv contracts, our very own SEC yearly payments, jersey and sportswear sales, etc. And here we are now, the schools are asking us the fans to pay and they continue to collect the same $$$ as before and aren't paying anything additional for NIL
It all falls back on the fact there are grown men with money that enjoy paying kids money to play sports at their favored program - with no actual financial return and solely for getting kicks off it when it's "under the table" and gives their team a perceived leg up over the competition (mostly rivals).

I'm not saying it's right or wrong. It's not my money and it's just sports. But it's certainly unique to college sports and I don't blame schools for taking advantage of it.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Define the "schools". I want to know who this boogeyman truly is. Is it Keenum, Selman, the coaches? AD staffers? All these folks are making salaries, not making bank as far as rolling in profits. Schools are non-profit, at the mercy of a board, and employees come and go. The boogeyman doesn't exist.

This is why the schools won't ever pay players. I don't even think they'll ever even donate to collectives. They'll probably just raise stipends slowly and the TV money will fund other athletics programs.

ETA: I can make a case with the coaches. They are the biggest boogeyman, because they do seem to have the most power of anyone.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Define the "schools". I want to know who this boogeyman truly is. Is it Keenum, Selman, the coaches? AD staffers? All these folks are making salaries, not making bank as far as rolling in profits. Schools are non-profit, at the mercy of a board, and employees come and go. The boogeyman doesn't exist.

This is why the schools won't ever pay players. I don't even think they'll ever even donate to collectives. They'll probably just raise stipends slowly and the TV money will fund other athletics programs.

ETA: I can make a case with the coaches. They are the biggest boogeyman, because they do seem to have the most power of anyone.
Use schools athletic departments in place of schools then if it makes you happy. They are still raking in the dough and NIL isn't costing them anything. Each SEC got $49.9 million for 2021-2022 and didn't pay one red cent to any NIL fund

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Kiffin is right but I find it a bit ironic that one of the biggest poaching programs of all time is the one doing the complaining. They have a long and storied program history of being nothing but a bunch of damn criminals.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Use schools athletic departments in place of schools then if it makes you happy. They are still raking in the dough and NIL isn't costing them anything. Each SEC got $49.9 million for 2021-2022 and didn't pay one red cent to any NIL fund
Nope. AD staffs aren't getting rich either. Salary and bonus. They non-profit. Money comes in and must be spent.

Of course I already said this in the post you replied to but peeper gonna peep.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
The big schools are still getting the same great athletes they would have gotten anyways. It's just costing them more. The transfer portal and the ability to transfer and not sit out a year is what killing college sport. The money was always there. It was just under the table before. Before NIL the rich boosters bought cars and some cash for a preacher in Georgia but now they have to pay a lot more money for the same guys they would have gotten before but for less money. I know I already said that.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Nope. AD staffs aren't getting rich either. Salary and bonus. They non-profit. Money comes in and must be spent.

Of course I already said this in the post you replied to but peeper gonna peep.
Are you just dumber than a big 17n bag of rocks or what? Show me anywhere in these posts that I said 1 word about any single person getting any money, I'll wait for you to read and comprehend that sentence. You are the one bringing "Keenum, Selmon, AD staffs" into the mix, not me. I plainly stated that its the schools (athletic departments for the mentally challenged like you) that keep getting richer because they get the media funds from the conference, the sales of memorabilia, NCAA tournaments, etc, etc, etc and don't have to contribute ANYTHING to the NIL funds. It's the everyday fan that is being asked to pay higher ticket, hotel, gasoline, parking, costs. And now the schools that are getting those paychecks are asking for more from us in the form of NIL payments. How much plainer can I be to you?

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
The only thing I want to hear Lane say about college football is, "We lost to a better team. Congrats to the Bulldogs and Coach Arnett" around 9:30 pm on November 23, 2023

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Are you just dumber than a big 17n bag of rocks or what? Show me anywhere in these posts that I said 1 word about any single person getting any money, I'll wait for you to read and comprehend that sentence. You are the one bringing "Keenum, Selmon, AD staffs" into the mix, not me. I plainly stated that its the schools (athletic departments for the mentally challenged like you) that keep getting richer because they get the media funds from the conference, the sales of memorabilia, NCAA tournaments, etc, etc, etc and don't have to contribute ANYTHING to the NIL funds. It's the everyday fan that is being asked to pay higher ticket, hotel, gasoline, parking, costs. And now the schools that are getting those paychecks are asking for more from us in the form of NIL payments. How much plainer can I be to you?
You have no point. Because there is no boogeyman to pin this on. Again, define the 'school' and how should we punish this magnificent being who is profiting so much?

As far as the average fan, you have every choice in the world. You can sit on the couch in the AC and watch it on TV. You can get a suite, or any number of other luxury choices. You can choose where you live and how many games you want to go to. You can sit in the upper deck like me, and park a mile away (and gulp...and actually, uh....WALK) and pay hardly anything.

There are ways to see the bright parts, if you aren't a fatalist.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
You have no point. Because there is no boogeyman to pin this on. Again, define the 'school' and how should we punish this magnificent being who is profiting so much?

As far as the average fan, you have every choice in the world. You can sit on the couch in the AC and watch it on TV. You can get a suite, or any number of other luxury choices. You can choose where you live and how many games you want to go to. You can sit in the upper deck like me, and park a mile away (and gulp...and actually, uh....WALK) and pay hardly anything.

There are ways to see the bright parts, if you aren't a fatalist.

Like I said, I can't make it any plainer to you.

And you, you can't make it any plainer in this post (or any of the multitudes of others that you respond to that yes), you are in fact dumber than a 17n bag of rocks. Go troll elsewhere please

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
I have numerous Ole Miss friends and coworkers who laud Kiffin as the Portal King. I don't think he's wrong, but his message needs to be coming from someone else if he wants anyone to listen to it...

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
The problem isn't NIL the problem is teams like Georgia just blasting cash out there to buy championships.

Let that sink in, the team that wins isn't anything other than the team that buys the best players away from other teams. Nothing more.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
The problem isn't NIL the problem is teams like Georgia just blasting cash out there to buy championships.

Let that sink in, the team that wins isn't anything other than the team that buys the best players away from other teams. Nothing more.
And that’s different than the last 30 years how? Now it’s just in the light of day.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Ole Miss fans are all about optics, so they probably aren't happy about this being on ESPN's college football front page:

Recap:
  • Kiffin is hypocritical.
  • Kiffin flirted with Auburn.
  • Ole Miss imploded last season (lost 5 of 6 to finish).
  • Ole Miss lost the Egg Bowl.
  • The Egg Bowl is the biggest game of the year. (Ouch. Rebels won't like that.)
  • Kiffin leveraged his flirtation with Auburn to bag $11 million from Ole Miss donors.
  • Kiffin's coaching in big games last year was a disaster.
  • Kiffin blew the Alabama game last year.
  • Kiffin left Tennessee in the middle of the night.
  • Kiffin left Tennessee in shambles. (Ole Miss fans don't want to think about that.)
  • Kiffin is a carny barker.
That's a lot in one minute and forty-nine seconds.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
And that’s different than the last 30 years how? Now it’s just in the light of day.
It's different now in that schools are taking players from other schools. That's the only difference.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login