Kiffin, "NIL... Disaster!"

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
It's hard for a program like theirs to compete now that money can flow above board for the most part. It was much easier to line up a few hostesses and have that rebel rags idiot passing out cash.

Reactions: Seinfeld

Willow Grove Dawg

Nov 3, 2016
Ole Miss coach Lane Kiffin didn't wait for questions on the impact of the transfer portal and name, image and likeness deals at SEC media days on Thursday. Instead, he addressed both topics during his opening statement, calling the current state of college football a "disaster.

Disaster
Kiffin is such a damned tool! It is crazy how little personality he really has compared to his Twitter persona.

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Let’s look at the early returns for this situation right now. These results will be biased because we had a coaching change.
True contributors lost to the portal:
Rara to a blue blood
DJ to a not blue blood
Rara may have gotten a better NIL deal but I doubt DJ went to Washington for the money. He just wanted to leave.
Possible contributors from the portal:
Justin Robinson UGA to State
Marcus Banks to State
Kamari Rogers to State
Rilend Goede to State
All four of those are top 10 program recognitions that signed out of high school and now have immediate eligibility.
Here is where I see it it’s two different discussions NIL vs Immediately eligible.
If NIL exists and immediate transfer does not.
State is 17ed. As someone else said in a thread the threat of not being eligible immediately keeps people on your roster. If you are a high three star out of MS and Bama shows you the world on your visit and you commit to them then Freshman year you are 3rd string behind 2 5 stars. Coaches are gonna tell you, you can work your way up, play for championships or sit out a year and play for Troy.
If NIL doesn’t exist and immediate transfers do. I’m sorry, but this benefits State. How many talented players did we lose to Bama that were grey shirted and then processed. They go to Bama as a freshman don’t get the spot, maybe decide sophomore year they can’t cut it and go to another school for one year of eligibility.

So now we have the other situation, NIL plus immediate transfer and
What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men, you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week -- which is the way he wants it.

Well, he gets it.

Again, it’s yet to be a net negative for State, 2023 will be a huge factor to determine that. If Banks Rogers ball out. Robinson and Goede have 1500 yards between them vs 600 from Rara and DJ I’d say we are net positive.

Reactions: OG Goat Holder

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
I feel like a lot of people in college sports understand this, but the courage to do something about it isn't there. They should have never granted immediate eligibility. You allow one exception, you have to allow another. Next, you have to open it to everyone.

There is such a fear of being perceived as anti-player, it will be extremely hard to get the toothpaste back in the tube.
And now according to G Sankey, we must have these behavioral therapists on campus to coddle these weak minded athletes.
Did we have or even need this bullish!# back in the 50’s, 60’, 70’s, 80’s 90’s or 00’s ?
Hell no we didn’t and a track guy worked thru his issues as did a women’s basketball player, a softball player or a football player as did everyone else who was just a student and didn’t get the free ride or worst case, a partially funded scholarship to go to college.
Is everyone in HS and College now so soft that we have to have mental health counseling for these idiots getting paid to play a 17-ing game.
It’s a 17-ing game.
You’re getting a FREE college education that most people can’t afford or go into debt 100K to get it.
Good grief!!!

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
In its present form it ABSOLUTELY is a disaster. Uncontrolled payments for doing absolutely nothing IS a disaster just like he is saying. It only breeds uncontrolled gains for the richer and makes the weaker fall further behind. There is NO parity in it and it can't survive like this
Agreed, and it doesn’t exactly help when one realizes that NIL donations are going to things like this

IMG_1208.jpeg

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
And we'll get to watch Q. Judkins have his way with Mercer on September 2nd and there won't be any hand wringing coming from Kiffin's hypocritcal *** when the scores ends up 69-0.
While I’ll admit that I don’t quite despise Kiffin as much as I did ten years ago, you just pointed out why I’ll never like him. Does he speak some truth? Sure, but he’s also one of those special breeds that does so while being completely oblivious to the hypocrisy that he’s constantly wading through.

Reactions: BoDawg.sixpack

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
It's hard for a program like theirs to compete now that money can flow above board for the most part. It was much easier to line up a few hostesses and have that rebel rags idiot passing out cash.
I don’t think some realize how much truth their is to you statement. OM has rarely been one that could compete with the blue bloods, but they sure had a way of cheating their way to that next tier on occasion. Kiffin’s pissed because the new age of college athletics has completely ruined their competitive advantage

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Let’s look at the early returns for this situation right now. These results will be biased because we had a coaching change.
True contributors lost to the portal:
Rara to a blue blood
DJ to a not blue blood
Rara may have gotten a better NIL deal but I doubt DJ went to Washington for the money. He just wanted to leave.
Possible contributors from the portal:
Justin Robinson UGA to State
Marcus Banks to State
Kamari Rogers to State
Rilend Goede to State
All four of those are top 10 program recognitions that signed out of high school and now have immediate eligibility.
Here is where I see it it’s two different discussions NIL vs Immediately eligible.
If NIL exists and immediate transfer does not.
State is 17ed. As someone else said in a thread the threat of not being eligible immediately keeps people on your roster. If you are a high three star out of MS and Bama shows you the world on your visit and you commit to them then Freshman year you are 3rd string behind 2 5 stars. Coaches are gonna tell you, you can work your way up, play for championships or sit out a year and play for Troy.
If NIL doesn’t exist and immediate transfers do. I’m sorry, but this benefits State. How many talented players did we lose to Bama that were grey shirted and then processed. They go to Bama as a freshman don’t get the spot, maybe decide sophomore year they can’t cut it and go to another school for one year of eligibility.

So now we have the other situation, NIL plus immediate transfer and
What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men, you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week -- which is the way he wants it.

Well, he gets it.

Again, it’s yet to be a net negative for State, 2023 will be a huge factor to determine that. If Banks Rogers ball out. Robinson and Goede have 1500 yards between them vs 600 from Rara and DJ I’d say we are net positive.
Existential crisis. What's good for the game vs. what's good for State.

I'll ultimately fall on the side of what's good for State. I can't control it anyway so who cares. It may ultimately be a net gain for the game too in the long term. We're just getting started.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Existential crisis. What's good for the game vs. what's good for State.

I'll ultimately fall on the side of what's good for State. I can't control it anyway so who cares. It may ultimately be a net gain for the game too in the long term. We're just getting started.
Agree with that part. What’s been happening with NIL and the portal during the last couple years has been like the early days of Napster. Some were thrilled at the thought of digital, free music, some were getting screwed, and everybody had to deal with the risk of viruses and PC breaking Trojan horses. After a few years, though, rules were put in place, subscriptions and $0.99 downloads became a thing, and a whole lot got cleaned up in a fairly short amount of time. Now, it’s funny to think back on those early years

I feel like the same will happen with college sports, but I just don’t know when or who is going to do the cleaning

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Agree with that part. What’s been happening with NIL and the portal during the last couple years has been like the early days of Napster. Some were thrilled at the thought of digital, free music, some were getting screwed, and everybody had to deal with the risk of viruses and PC breaking Trojan horses. After a few years, though, rules were put in place, subscriptions and $0.99 downloads became a thing, and a whole lot got cleaned up in a fairly short amount of time. Now, it’s funny to think back on those early years

I feel like the same will happen with college sports, but I just don’t know when or who is going to do the cleaning
Hahaha Kazaa was the one that fried my computer......I remember my buddy getting a program to stop the pop-ups that would make a gunshot sound when it blocked one. After about a week of all us searching up everything under the sun (mainly Heather Harmon), it sounded like a machine gun going off in there at all hours of the night

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
NIL itself isn't a disaster. It needed to be implemented in like 1985 when things were first starting to get bad, instead of being idiots and destroying a conference and a program (SWC and SMU). Even still, it's impact was so immediate, it'll feel like a disaster until the newness wears off, and I see that happening now.

Introducing the immediate eligibility out of the portal is what made this a disaster, now you have to recruit your own team to stay. THAT isn't sustainable.

And I say this knowing full well that the portal has been a net positive for MSU. But long-term I don't think it's good for college sports. It's going to further weaken the G5 for certain.

I wish they'd modify the portal, and make it where you could leave after your freshman year, then you have to stay until you graduate (or sit a year). That would cut down on the NIL going to transfers. This would also give the recruits a year to see if the coach was just BS-ing you or not during the high school recruiting process. Then also allow immediate transfers with coaching changes.
First starting to go bad in 1985?!?!? LOL

You know UCLA was paying players like Crazy from at least the 1960's (Read about Sam Gilbert), as was Ole miss in the 1950's and 60's, as was Bear in the 1960's. ( cite: a guy that played for bama in 1961 told me he got cash, as did a guy that played for Ole miss then)

All NIL changed is it's can all be on the table.

Combining it with the transfer portal and there being no rules at all make it a mess.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
I feel like a lot of people in college sports understand this, but the courage to do something about it isn't there. They should have never granted immediate eligibility. You allow one exception, you have to allow another. Next, you have to open it to everyone.

There is such a fear of being perceived as anti-player, it will be extremely hard to get the toothpaste back in the tube.
No it is very simple. IF you sign with a team, you can transfer after your freshman season if that place just isn't for you or you get a better offer. If you stay, you have to stay there until graduation, quit, or draft, no exceptions. If you still want to transfer, you sit out a year but do not lose a year of eligibility. You cannot change schools even with coaching changes, unless you are a freshman.

Just close it the 17 off. Then coaches will be pressured into playing nice with promising freshmen, but after that they don't have to recruit their own guys.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Hahaha Kazaa was the one that fried my computer......I remember my buddy getting a program to stop the pop-ups that would make a gunshot sound when it blocked one. After about a week of all us searching up everything under the sun (mainly Heather Harmon), it sounded like a machine gun going off in there at all hours of the night
Heather Harmon, a true 5 tool player.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Kiffin prefaced his comments by saying he's happy that players can get paid but that the unintended consequence of NIL is a "pay-for-play" system where players follow the money and the teams with the deepest pockets get the best talent.

Now apply that to the coaching profession and see if you're willing to characterize the coaching salaries in the college game as a disaster. Can't have it both ways. The best coaches want the most money and they're willing to coach at the schools with the deepest pockets.

That being said, I don't see the overall talent level at MSU shifting much pre-NIL to post-NIL.
That's not apple to oranges. Colleges are competing with the NFL to hire coaches. They are basically at the top of their game. Their job is different from NFL jobs in significant ways (mainly recruiting) and they are paid less on average, but they are still basically the same labor pool. College athletes are minor league professional athletes. They were roughly getting minor league athlete compensation before but now are benefiting from an arms race type dynamic where they are getting an outsized share of revenue generated by school brand loyalty.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login