KJ Wright

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The only way Judge works is if he can mobilize our NFL guys to come back and get involved in recruiting and NIL. He’d be a CEO type coach and the way that works is crootin.

We know we would have good special teams and he’s seen national title and Super Bowl teams up close. All about if he can bring in players and get competent coordinators.

I’m not totally against this.

Bullldawg78

Aug 30, 2018
This is what I'll say, he had a generational RB go down his first year, during the heart of COVID, Jones was injured and his second year he was saddled with Jason Garrett as OC. Also had a inept GM. But I will say his players played for him and competed, no one who knows Joe would question his work ethic. We have the lowest NIL in the SEC (correct me if I'm wrong Charlie), so we need someone who is going to work for MSU. Not for his next job!

Bullldawg78

Aug 30, 2018
The only way Judge works is if he can mobilize our NFL guys to come back and get involved in recruiting and NIL. He’d be a CEO type coach and the way that works is crootin.

We know we would have good special teams and he’s seen national title and Super Bowl teams up close. All about if he can bring in players and get competent coordinators.

I’m not totally against this.
He is a CEO type, it's all about his coordinators in my opinion. We need someone who wants to build a program at State not a resume or ease into retirement!

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019
This is what I'll say, he had a generational RB go down his first year, during the heart of COVID, Jones was injured and his second year he was saddled with Jason Garrett as OC. Also had a inept GM. But I will say his players played for him and competed, no one who knows Joe would question his work ethic. We have the lowest NIL in the SEC (correct me if I'm wrong Charlie), so we need someone who is going to work for MSU. Not for his next job!
Not Charlie but we are very healthy with NIL we are also healthy with cash to make a statement hire. We need to lose this narrative we don’t have the funding. We are better than done might think we just don’t flaunt it like others

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
He is a CEO type, it's all about his coordinators in my opinion. We need someone who wants to build a program at State not a resume or ease into retirement!
I agree, but me and you could do that. That doesn’t mean we are a good coaches. I could see Joe getting a serious look of a few other of the name guys say no.

we need name cache, and if Joe has NFL players stumping for him, maybe he has it, it’s a route we’ve never tried before

Captain Ron

Aug 22, 2012
I agree, but me and you could do that. That doesn’t mean we are a good coaches. I could see Joe getting a serious look of a few other of the name guys say no.

we need name cache, and if Joe has NFL players stumping for him, maybe he has it, it’s a route we’ve never tried before
Not advocating for it, but for the most part, the other routes we have taken have not turned out that great.

Reactions: OG Goat Holder

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
The day the Giants hired him out from under us was at the time one of my most deflating moments as a Mississippi State fan.

Reactions: Bullldawg78

Theconnormead

Jan 26, 2023

Has his opinion as well

There were a lot of things out of his control with the Giants. There is a reason BB brought him back as soon as the Giants let him go. One thing for sure is he wants the job, and has let it be known that this is the job he wants (not Tenn, FL, Miami...). If we would give him the money for assistant coaches and let him be the CEO, I think he would have success. If we are not going to support him, then I would hate to see him come.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
There were a lot of things out of his control with the Giants. There is a reason BB brought him back as soon as the Giants let him go. One thing for sure is he wants the job, and has let it be known that this is the job he wants (not Tenn, FL, Miami...). If we would give him the money for assistant coaches and let him be the CEO, I think he would have success. If we are not going to support him, then I would hate to see him come.
That’s the question - is he a big enough ‘name’ for the mouth-breathing faction of the fanbase?? Because unfortunately we need everyone to buy in if we ever want to have success.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Joe should have went through Saban rehabilitation program if he wanted to get a HC job in college.

If our NFL players would significantly increase their NIL contributions and involvement in the program, then Joe would be worth considering.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

Theconnormead

Jan 26, 2023
That’s the question - is he a big enough ‘name’ for the mouth-breathing faction of the fanbase?? Because unfortunately we need everyone to buy in if we ever want to have success.
Fans are followers, because football makes even the smartest crazy. If the Athletic Department does a good job selling him, we will all be fired up and behind him. Prime example is Croom.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
I like the idea. NFL coach that knows what it takes for college players to get there. State guy so he will want to be here. Recruiting ability is unknown.

Dogdazey

Nov 16, 2012
Mississippi State can do a heck of a lot worse than Joe Judge as it's head football coach. Shoot, Mississippi State has done worse than Joe Judge as its head football coach.

Fans should take off their maroon colored glasses occasionally. We are good with a 6-7 win season, we are excited about an 8 win season, we are ecstatic with a 9 win season. Judge was well thought of enough to be given the keys to a NFL head coaching job, but Mississippi State is too high and mighty to give him a look. You 20 and 30 year old fans need to realize, Mississippi State hasn't had sustained success over a long period in football....EVER. The early 2010 - 2018 are the glory years of football. I can remember many 3, 4 and 5 wins seasons growing up. NEVER FORGET, we (an SEC WEST football team) lost to Maine!

Be glad a guy like that lets it be known he'd like this job.

beachbumdawg

Nov 28, 2006
Mississippi State can do a heck of a lot worse than Joe Judge as it's head football coach. Shoot, Mississippi State has done worse than Joe Judge as its head football coach.

Fans should take off their maroon colored glasses occasionally. We are good with a 6-7 win season, we are excited about an 8 win season, we are ecstatic with a 9 win season. Judge was well thought of enough to be given the keys to a NFL head coaching job, but Mississippi State is too high and mighty to give him a look. You 20 and 30 year old fans need to realize, Mississippi State hasn't had sustained success over a long period in football....EVER. The early 2010 - 2018 are the glory years of football. I can remember many 3, 4 and 5 wins seasons growing up. NEVER FORGET, we (an SEC WEST football team) lost to Maine!

Animated GIF

Bullldawg78

Aug 30, 2018
Gawd that would be the most MState hire ever

his nfl team was so poorly coached it makes Arnott look like Lombardi
If you're speaking of the offense, you can blame that on Jason Garret who was his OC that he had nothing to do with hiring, Gettleman made gave him that OC. His team I thought always competed, when was the last game that you can honestly say we competed, Arkansas? We didn't compete well KJ forgot how to throw the ball to open receivers that's the only reason we won that attrocity that set college football back 2 decades.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
So we should hire him because he wants the job? Unfortunately, there’s just a lot more to it than that.

He has a grand total of one year in college where he actually recruited and was an on-field assistant. One. That was 2008 at freaking Birmingham Southern.

Everything else in his career is desk job assistant in college and then NFL, which is just a totally different ballgame than college in every respect. And on top of that, he had a horrible run as an NFL HC. He didn’t get to pick his OC in New York? Cry me a river. That’s not a data point in his favor. Its just another thing we have no clue if he can do well or not at the SEC level. Every data point for Judge as it relates to his SEC head coach qualifications is either non-existent, or bad.

He’s more or less the NFL version of Arnett - a guy who Peter Principled his way into a job he was in no way ever qualified for, then quickly washed out and had to go back to what he was doing before. Is that what we want? No other P5 school in the country would target Judge for a HC position, and neither would we if he had the exact same 17ing resume but graduated from Hofstra, Holy Cross, or UCLA instead of MSU. Even if we insisted on going the homegrown route, somebody like Bumphis is legit more qualified than Judge to be an SEC HC….seriously. And Bumphis isn’t qualified at all.

The whole discussion is completely ridiculous. We got bailed out big time in 2020 when the Giants got him, we ended up with a great hire in his place, and now some are proposing that we try to 17 it up aGAIN.

3407Dewey

Jun 4, 2014
So we should hire him because he wants the job? Unfortunately, there’s just a lot more to it than that.

He has a grand total of one year in college where he actually recruited and was an on-field assistant. One. That was 2008 at freaking Birmingham Southern.

Everything else in his career is desk job assistant in college and then NFL, which is just a totally different ballgame than college in every respect. And on top of that, he had a horrible run as an NFL HC. He didn’t get to pick his OC in New York? Cry me a river. That’s not a data point in his favor. Its just another thing we have no clue if he can do well or not at the SEC level. Every data point for Judge as it relates to his SEC head coach qualifications is either non-existent, or bad.

He’s more or less the NFL version of Arnett - a guy who Peter Principled his way into a job he was in no way ever qualified for, then quickly washed out and had to go back to what he was doing before. Is that what we want? No other P5 school in the country would target Judge for a HC position, and neither would we if he had the exact same 17ing resume but graduated from Hofstra, Holy Cross, or UCLA instead of MSU. Even if we insisted on going the homegrown route, somebody like Bumphis is legit more qualified than Judge to be an SEC HC….seriously. And Bumphis isn’t qualified at all.

The whole discussion is completely ridiculous. We got bailed out big time in 2020 when the Giants got him, we ended up with a great hire in his place, and now some are proposing that we try to 17 it up aGAIN.
It’s not just that “some” are proposing; it’s that alums with legit NFL careers are proposing. I think you at least have to ask why and be open to an answer.

Bullldawg78

Aug 30, 2018
Show me Judge's natty before he sucked in the NFL and I can get on board. He couldn't hold Spurrier or Saban's clipboard.
I understand this argument I was simply saying that all who can coach in college aren't NFL coaches and vice versa, in the NFL you don't have the control over your staff and players like you do in college.

Bullldawg78

Aug 30, 2018
Heck, he has time to wait for the next time our job is open.****
Which will be in 3-4 years if we hire the power 5 coach, I would argue 95% of coaches we are taking about would look at State as a stepping stone or a ride off into the sunset for a couple million a year. I'm tired of that approach to hires I want better for my university I want someone who wants to build a program and isn't looking for the next hot girl job. Ask TSUN how they feel in about 3 weeks cause Lane, he gone!

Reactions: Indndawg

patdog

May 28, 2007
Boy you're right those crappy Saban and Spurrier NFL teams sure showed that those guys have no idea how to coach football.
You're seriously comparing a career special teams coordinator to Nick Saban and Steve Spurrier? Really?? Not to mention that Saban was 15-17 at a dysfunctional Dolphins organization.

Reactions: StateCollege

Bullldawg78

Aug 30, 2018
Joe should have went through Saban rehabilitation program if he wanted to get a HC job in college.

If our NFL players would significantly increase their NIL contributions and involvement in the program, then Joe would be worth considering.
I've never understood the rehabilitation with Nick Saban argument. Judge already coached under Saban for 3 years. I don't understand how failing at a job and then going and spending a year under Saban as some sort of coordinator or special observing coach suddenly turns somebody into a home run hire after they win a national title with 58 five star players on their team. The regular season is a joke with Alabama typically because 99% of the time they just have much more talent than the team lining up across from them.

Conman90

Mar 3, 2008
Which will be in 3-4 years if we hire the power 5 coach, I would argue 95% of coaches we are taking about would look at State as a stepping stone or a ride off into the sunset for a couple million a year. I'm tired of that approach to hires I want better for my university I want someone who wants to build a program and isn't looking for the next hot girl job. Ask TSUN how they feel in about 3 weeks cause Lane, he gone!
How about we try the stepping stone thing first. When have we been a stepping stone? A coach that comes here and wins enough to get hired by a school willing to pay more than we are will have been successful and turned this current dumpster fire around. And then we do it again, but from a better position. We aren't a blue blood, but there aren't many schools that are going to hire a coach away from us. We just happen to play in the same conference as most of them.

Cohen should have took the success we had under Mullen, and ponied up to pay a legit head coach to come and build on that. Instead he tried to show how smart he was and we got Moorhead. Then he followed that up with Joe Judge (that we dodged a bullet on) and backed his way in to Leach (whom I loved, but was not the best option or fit for us).

Selmon is better connected and actually smarter than John Cohen, so I think all this Joe Judge talk is moot anyway. I believe Selmon is going to make a good hire, one we can all get behind, and that excites both the average sidewalk/Facebook fan, and the fans as well.

woozman

Nov 13, 2004
That whole “hire someone who won’t leave” argument is so short sighted.

Ask the OM fans at your office or church if they would trade Lane (knowing he’ll leave at some point) for Luke (who would retire there) and get back to me…

ETA: and Cohen and Strickland say hello as far as MSU loyalty by alums…

Last edited:

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Arguing over Judge is useless without knowing who he could assemble for a staff and a recruiting group. I could be sold on him as a CEO HC but I'll need a better idea who's developing/calling plays/crootin. He's definitely worth an interview due to the upside of him actually wanting this job and better chance he'd stick around.

tired

Sep 16, 2013

What a defeatist, loser attitude.
I'm not 20 or 30. 6 wins suck

Conman90

Mar 3, 2008
He's not suggesting it means similar success is likely, just that it would be wrong to count lack of success as an NFL HC as a disqualifier.
How about lack of success, lack of college experience, lack of ability to put together a college oriented coaching staff (see 7's list of potential coaching staff when he almost got the job the first time), and lack of ability to unite a fanbase that is in desperate need of some excitement. Is that enough for you?

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007

Wuuut Croom wuuut

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login