Lack of FT shooting could doom our Dogs per CL..

fishwater99

Jun 4, 2007
http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080311/SPORTS030102/803110346/1287/SPORTS&referrer=NEWSFRONTCAROUSEL

We lost the Vandy and USA games beacuse of our horrible FT shooting.
11th out of 12 teams in the SEC...

Gordon was asked before Mississippi State's practice if he worked on free throws growing up in Nashville, the junior guard responded with brutal honesty.

"Oh, no," he said, smiling. "I wanted to dunk the ball."

Stansbury knew his team couldn't make a sea change, though, by just what he was implementing in practice. He's long harped on free throw shooting being learned growing up and in the offseason, and has noticed how that skill is being diminished. REALLY.........

</p>

Uncle Leo

Jun 30, 2006
By NCAA rule, you only have so much time to practice during a week. It wouldn't make sense to spend a lot of that time on FTs when there are more important things to work on. That doesn't mean we shouldn't practice FTs at all, but it's largely up to the player to do it in his own time. Usually a player has decided whether or not he's going to shoot FTs well long before he plays in college. And nowadays, players growing up would much rather practice three-pointers or dunk the ball. FTs don't make highlight reels.

That said, it still pisses me off when we miss the front end of a one-and-one...

codeDawg

Nov 13, 2007
They don't usually make it to Sports Center, but I remember 3 from Ben that made the reel this year.

RaleighDawg.sixpack

Feb 24, 2008
that he hasn't done that? I guess he should hold their hands into the gym, leave so it's not considered practice, and set up a surveillance camera in order to insure that they do it...welcome to 1984.

fishwater99

Jun 4, 2007
I am sure Rick has stressed to practice on their own time, he even said so himself.
He has changed they way we practice them and we still end up 11 out of 12 SEC teams.

Maybe he should recruit better free-throw shooters,
but if we do that we won't be in position to win games b/c we will be losing at the end.

Here is a question for you.
Ben and Barry are supposed to be our best FT shooters, so why does J-Money shot the technical fouls?

VegasDawg13

Jun 11, 2007
fishwater99 said:
Here is a question for you.
Ben and Barry are supposed to be our best FT shooters, so why does J-Money shot the technical fouls?
I agree Hansborough should always shoot the technicals. However, Barry Stewart's good free throw shooting is a myth. He shoots the exact same percentage as Jamont (69.8%), and I bet Barry's has been lower in SEC games, but I don't know that for sure. The only other good free throw shooter on our team (I consider good making at least 3 out of 4) is Brian Johnson (coincidentally enough, he shoots the exact same as Ben, 78.9%).

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login