Lady Dawgs

BonzoGoesToCollege

Aug 24, 2012
They overcame a 27 point 1st half deficit against #13 Georgia to take a 1 point lead with 40 sec to go, only to lose by 3. Now they're worth watching. Not that talented and big, but well coached.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
I'm glad you put a lot of thought into your response! Your insight has helped all to understand succinctly how you feel about the job Novak is doing and the way the women are playing right now. It is wonderful to have articulate posters like you on the board!

Keep up the great work you are doing to enlighten us all!

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
What they are doing is pretty impressive. They dont have a single post player right now.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
If you were AD - would you roll with Novak or would you do a real search?

I bet at the end of the day - it's Novak.

Last edited:

patdog

May 28, 2007
You have to do a search. Just hiring the interim is lazy. He can be a candidate though.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Definitely do a search. Let Novak interview as well and if he’s the best candidate, hire him.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Of course you do a search. I embedded this a couple weeks ago but Lemonis very briefly mentioned what interim coaches are typically expected to do (around the 45 second mark but the whole session is worth looking at)...

"How do you keep a player bought in and focused?"Head Coach @lemo22 at @HailStateBB kicked off the 2022 @ABCA1945 Convention to discuss building a championship program. Now he joins us for a Q&A session! Check out Q&A videos from the 2020 convention: https://t.co/qpuVa4IjV0 pic.twitter.com/T4udkUSUnR— Baseball Coaches Insider (@BAcoachinsider) January 7, 2022

BonzoGoesToCollege

Aug 24, 2012

He'd have to be given serious consideration. He seems like a really good motivator and a solid floor coach. Just wonder if he has the visibility to actually pull in highly rated recruits.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Id need to understand more about his recruiting approach/ability

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I agree. It’s clear the guy is good on the floor but on the recruiting front that needs to be examined more. I think there needs to be a search and he be interviewed just like all the other candidates.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
Unless we are going to shell out huge bucks for a top 10 coach (and that is something we should consider), Novak deserves the job.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Can someone give the back story on Novak? Where did he come from? I had never heard of him before he was named interim head coach. He used to coach men’s basketball and switched to women recently? Is that right?

militarydog

Nov 9, 2012

In my opinion Coach Novak is going through the interview process now. He has done a very good job considering what he was handed. The players also seem to really respect and respond to him. However the best part is he has taken ownership of the program. Here is his comments from last night:
“… obviously I didn’t do a very good job because those three things we were atrocious. One was transition defense, two was post defense and three was rebounding. For whatever reason we were not quite ready to match their physicality.”
I do like how he takes the responsibility for what is happening.
The biggest question is can he recruit. He kept D Powe in the fold and got A Winston to transfer. Winston had commitable offers from UConn, Texas and Baylor. Supposedly he and J Carter are talking and things are going well. That is a good start.
However I also guarantee John Cohen is talking to agents now to gauge interest.
I think it is too early to decide if the interim should be removed but he has done enough for his name to be in consideration.

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
I agree. It’s clear the guy is good on the floor but on the recruiting front that needs to be examined more. I think there needs to be a search and he be interviewed just like all the other candidates.

How hard is it to recruit now when the biggest draw to a program is cash?

goodknight

Jan 27, 2011
He got Powe to sign which might not have been hard and he got the Mich St transfer do there’s that on the recruiting front. Not much left for next years class to pick from other than future portal or Juco

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021

The more appropriate question is:

"If you were AD, and taking into consideration the following: current status, budget, priority of program, and desire of where program should be, what would be the best direction given the information present?"

The simple answer to your question is: A real search is performed, regardless. This is how universities roll. Inside person typically has the inside track - nothing more, nothing less.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
True story. I used to throw him a few meals to get "business intel"

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login