Landon Sims

Quincy A. Wagstaff

May 28, 2020
I hope he's OK. Not going to speculate.

But seeing fans react to his injury reminds me: Dude is a legend.

He appeared in 25 games last season. We won 23 of them. 1 of those losses was Tennessee in Hoover (entered in the 8th down 6). The other was the Sunday Arkansas game (entered in the 6th down 3). When the game (or season) was on the line, he was perfect.

And he should have been on the All-Tournament Team in Omaha, not Jack Leiter.

appw-liprererahbbsohrxbhsvwhipk/9ip
Sims41-010110.9041151130.5013.50
Leiter21-114331.9374232300.7914.79

<tbody>
</tbody>

Even though he pitched well in both games, Leiter split his 2 appearances. Sims appeared in 4 games and got a save or win in all 4. In his only win in Omaha, Leiter's team scored 7 runs in the 1st inning, never leading by fewer than 5 runs after that. 3 of Landon's 4 appearances were 1-run wins. Not only should he have been on the All-Tournament Team, if it weren't Will Bednar, there would have been an argument for MOP.

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
He has a case for being the best pitcher in school history. With a dominant season as a starter this year there would be no doubt. Hopefully we have not seen the last of him in the M over S.

Aug 23, 2012
He has a case for being the best pitcher in school history. With a dominant season as a starter this year there would be no doubt. Hopefully we have not seen the last of him in the M over S.

He is up there as an all time great, but Jeff Brantley with 45 wins in his career (which by the way is best in SEC history) and his record in 1985 of 18-2 (second to Greg Swindoll who had 19 in a single season) must go down as best in history at MSU. 9 cg

Last edited:

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
He is up there as an all time great, but Jeff Brantley with 45 wins in his career (which by the way is best in SEC history) and his record in 1985 of 18-2 (second to Greg Swindoll who had 19 in a single season) must go down as best in history at MSU. 9 cg

I don’t know that we’ve ever had a pitcher that was as dominant in a single season as Landon was in 2021. We were undefeated when he entered the game with a lead or the game tied.

Aug 23, 2012
I agree he was dominant but the total body of work by Brantley is tough to match 2nd most wins in single season in all of college baseball. Tied for most wins a career in the SEC

hdogg

Nov 21, 2014
Both were just fantastic bulldogs and both have a place in many fan's hearts.
I was in omaha when we won last year, and saw the machine that he is. Pure gold.

I met Brantleys wife a few times at a church camp he spoke at. Super nice. She was the cousin of a friend of mine, and got me a baseball w the 1985 team's autograph. Also pure gold. Unfortunately my dog ate most of that baseball in 2003. I still have it, but it's lost most of its appeal.

So, both of them have a place in my heart and I hope Simms makes a ton of money.

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
I agree he was dominant but the total body of work by Brantley is tough to match 2nd most wins in single season in all of college baseball. Tied for most wins a career in the SEC

It’s a bit of a resume vs eye test debate. Obviously Brantley had a longer track record and a great career. We were only able to see one full season of Sims due to COVID in ‘20 and the the injury this year. But his one full season was perhaps the best single season by a pitcher in school history due to his body of work and the fact that it led to a championship.

Love the Cowboy and he’s no doubt deserving of being considered our best ever. I think Landon has a case too though.

tcdog70

Sep 24, 2012
Look up Brantley Jones Dennis Hall and Duck Profitt. All on the same Bulldog staff

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
Where can you vote for Bednar?

He had an all-time great CWS, that definitely puts him in the conversation. I’m not sure the rest of his career measures up to some of these other names but his high water mark was the highest of anybody.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Only thing his college career is lacking is length. In 1 full season plus 2 very abbreviated ones he was 6-2, 1.69 ERA and 13 saves and a 6.25 strikeout to walk ratio.

Aug 23, 2012
The core of our first World Series run although Profitt was ruled ineligible for post season play as he played as a freshman and the NCAA rule was no freshman play even though the SEC did allow it.

tcdog70

Sep 24, 2012
The core of our first World Series run although Profitt was ruled ineligible for post season play as he played as a freshman and the NCAA rule was no freshman play even though the SEC did allow it.

I thought it was Jones and Hall that could not play. Along with Rorie and Jocko Potts

archdog

Aug 22, 2012
Brantley Rings = 0
Sims Rings = 1

I rest my case.
Also, by that argument, the best SS we have ever had is Forsythe. And yes that is correct.
The best we have ever had that doesn't have a world series ring is a different matter.

Forever this will be my argument.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
I'll never forget his performance against Leiter at Vandy with all the pro scouts there. He was lights out!

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login