Latest from Delllenger regarding FSU lawsuit

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

So apparently attorneys (and, presumably, the schools themselves) are not even allowed access to the signed GoR contract, all parties must physically travel to NC to review it, and no one is allowed photo copy it, take pictures of the pages, or even write down verbatim any of the specific language in the contract.

That’s some draconian horseshít right there. No wonder there have not been any legal challenges to the GoR….its an enormous undertaking just to see what the hell it even says. Those requirements themselves may in fact be illegal in several ACC states.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
There’s only one man for this job:
declaration of independence help GIF

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Werzel’s new article says that the SEC is thought to not be interested in FSU and Clemson, whereas the B1G would be. B1G is trying to be nationwide, and the SEC is trying to provide football quality.

How the 17 is adding FSU and Clemson NOT making the football product better? This would be a massive mistake by the SEC.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
So, school administrators, state employees, signed an agreement and it's not a public document? Seems extremely illegal.
Exactly. I’m no contract law expert, so I don’t know how many elements of a specific business contract have to be illegal / unenforceable in order for the entire document to be rendered null and void. But it seems like a no-brainer that these requirements would not stand up in the courtroom very long, if challenged by the FSU legal team. Seems like a very basic right of the plaintiffs in the discovery process is being violated.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005

So apparently attorneys (and, presumably, the schools themselves) are not even allowed access to the signed GoR contract, all parties must physically travel to NC to review it, and no one is allowed photo copy it, take pictures of the pages, or even write down verbatim any of the specific language in the contract.

That’s some draconian horseshít right there. No wonder there have not been any legal challenges to the GoR….its an enormous undertaking just to see what the hell it even says. Those requirements themselves may in fact be illegal in several ACC states.

He had a copy of it within 10 minutes of tweeting that. Apparently it’s not as locked down as everyone thought.

patdog

May 28, 2007
He had a copy of it within 10 minutes of tweeting that. Apparently it’s not as locked down as everyone thought.

Exactly. FSU is just throwing wild accusations at the wall hoping something will stick. Some of them defy all logic or common sense. This was one of them. Of course FSU has had a copy of the contract all along. It’s ridiculous to believe otherwise.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

That’s the unexecuted document though, probably left over from someone’s hard drive in 2013. The legal team has to review the official signed version, which may have multiple modifications from any of the 16 parties vs. the unexecuted version.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Werzel’s new article says that the SEC is thought to not be interested in FSU and Clemson, whereas the B1G would be. B1G is trying to be nationwide, and the SEC is trying to provide football quality.

How the 17 is adding FSU and Clemson NOT making the football product better? This would be a massive mistake by the SEC.
Agree. If the SEC lets the Big 10 come into its territory, it will regret it.

Reactions: Anon1669338224

HotMop

May 8, 2006

If FSU and Clempson bring no quality then what the hell do we bring?

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

I don’t think any source commentary on the matter is worth taking seriously until the legal process is sorted out. If FSU is free and clear, and owes nothing to the ACC, a lot of things change. And if other schools join the suit and are also free and clear, it puts a lot more possibilities into play for both the SEC and the Big 10.

The conspiracy theorist in me also thinks that a leak on interest from the Big 10 could be from the FSU side in order to apply more pressure to ESPN in the suit. FSU winning the suit and effectively defecting from ESPN to Fox would be the worst case scenario for ESPN. They’d lose a Top 10 brand name team, AND probably have to go back to the drawing board on the ACC TV contract and pay up a lot more to remaining members than they are currently.

Reactions: patdog

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Agree. If the SEC lets the Big 10 come into its territory, it will regret it.
I think the Big 10 is coming into Florida regardless, and will come after Miami ahead of FSU most likely, and even if they decide they prefer FSU but lose out on them to the SEC….they would still gladly take Miami.

The only thing that could stop that would be the SEC taking both FSU and Miami, which seems unlikely.

patdog

May 28, 2007
One thing to remember in all of this. Three years ago everyone was saying TX & OK will be in the SEC no later than 2022. I kept saying they’re not getting around the GoR they signed. Ultimately they did get out 1 year early, but it cost them $50M each and even then it was partly because the Big 12 was ready to move on with their new media deal without them. These GoR deals are pretty iron clad.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I think the Big 10 is coming into Florida regardless, and will come after Miami ahead of FSU most likely, and even if they decide they prefer FSU but lose out on them to the SEC….they would still gladly take Miami.

The only thing that could stop that would be the SEC taking both FSU and Miami, which seems unlikely.
Miami is so far south it’s almost not even in Florida. Miami to big 10 won’t hurt SEC as much as FSU would. Obviously, you’d rather they not get Miami or into Virginia or North Carolina. But that may not be feasible (or even possible).

ronpolk

May 6, 2009

I don’t know about that. I think you reach the point of diminishing returns at some point and maybe adding these 2 schools would do that. I trust the SEC knows who would bring more money to the table and who wouldn’t. Florida st and Clemson are better football brands for sure but since the sec already has those TV markets covered, would North Carolina and Virginia make more sense? I’d imagine that is what the sec is weighing. It’s not who is a better brand it’s who being more tv money.

Reactions: DesotoCountyDawg

patdog

May 28, 2007
I don’t know about that. I think you reach the point of diminishing returns at some point and maybe adding these 2 schools would do that. I trust the SEC knows who would bring more money to the table and who wouldn’t. Florida st and Clemson are better football brands for sure but since the sec already has those TV markets covered, would North Carolina and Virginia make more sense? I’d imagine that is what the sec is weighing. It’s not who is a better brand it’s who being more tv money.
When the time comes, whether that’s tomorrow or 10 years from now, North Carolina & Virginia will be the top 2 targets for both SEC & Big 10. But I think SEC is going to have to take 4 schools to fight Big 10 presence in the southeast.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
And will TV markets even matter ultimately? This seems all headed direct to consumer. And it’s why the idea of a super league has never made a ton of sense to me.

And regardless I don’t understand the lure of Virginia.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
The SEC, Big 10, etc as we know it will probably not exist in 5 years. There will be one big Super Conference of 32 teams in four 8 team divisions.

Reactions: OldVideoGuy

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I am not a lawyer but there will come a discovery period and it will be handed over anyways. Not like its top secret and has National Security involved.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Nationally, FSU and Clemson garner more eyeballs than UNC and Virginia. That state specific stuff went out the window with the rise of streaming and decline of cable.

Its quality not quantity now. Of course, I suppose its good if you can get both, like what the B1G did this time around. And the SEC will be adding 4 teams most likely, so FSU, Clemson, UNC and either Virginia or Virginia Tech are the best options by a country mile.

Last edited:

patdog

May 28, 2007
Nationally, FSU and Clemson garner more eyeballs than UNC and Virginia. That state specific stuff went out the window with the rise of streaming and decline of cable.

Its quality not quantity now. Of course, I suppose its good if you can get both, like what the B1G did this time around. And the SEC will be adding 4 teams most likely, so FSU, Clemson, UNC and either Virginia or Virginia Tech are the best options by a country mile.
Not sure if VA Tech will make the cut. I think NC State is a better candidate.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
When the time comes, whether that’s tomorrow or 10 years from now, North Carolina & Virginia will be the top 2 targets for both SEC & Big 10. But I think SEC is going to have to take 4 schools to fight Big 10 presence in the southeast.
And that certainly may be the case. I wouldn’t have a problem with Florida st and Clemson. I think culturally and location wise they both make a lot of sense. But for whatever reason, the SEC does not seem ready to bring them in right now and I gotta think that’s because of TV markets.

I would think from a culture standpoint, North Carolina and Virginia fit in way more in the big 10.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
And will TV markets even matter ultimately? This seems all headed direct to consumer. And it’s why the idea of a super league has never made a ton of sense to me.

And regardless I don’t understand the lure of Virginia.
I think the lure to Virginia is the same as North Carolina. Located in a fairly populated area. Maybe not as much as North Carolina but it does get you close to the DC market.

Reactions: patdog

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
FSU is not an AAU member, and the BIG has repeatedly stated it will only accept AAU schools. Nebraska is the only BIG member that is not in AAU, but they were AAU accredited when they joined the BIG.

I don't know why people are even discussing FSU joining the BIG. I can't see them lowering their Academic requirements to take everyone's favorite safety school.

If the BIG wants to expand to Florida, their only choices are UF and USF.

ETA: My mistake; Miami was added to AAU this year, as was Notre Dame. I don't think Miami brings enough financial interest these days, but I'm no expert.

The BIG could add Miami, Virginia, UNC, and maybe ND or GA. Tech. Tech does not offer much financially other than a GA presence, and ND is non issue unless the Irish decide conference membership is the only way to suevive.

Last edited:

8dog

Feb 23, 2008

I think the lure to Virginia is the same as North Carolina. Located in a fairly populated area. Maybe not as much as North Carolina but it does get you close to the DC market.
Yeah which circles back to the question of whether tv markets/population will even matter in 10 years. Also why I’m not sure a super league everyone predicts makes sense.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Yeah which circles back to the question of whether tv markets/population will even matter in 10 years. Also why I’m not sure a super league everyone predicts makes sense.
It doesn’t make sense. It never has. But lo and behold, it keeps inching towards fruition, towards the 4 league, 20 team model King Jackie predicted in 1989.

It sort of made sense with the 4-team playoff. That is why I am hoping that somehow FSU is made to stand down, maybe they get more shares and others take less, and the ACC survives.

But there again, many things in college sports are nonsensical. They are going to consolidate themselves into collapse.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
It doesn’t make sense. It never has. But lo and behold, it keeps inching towards fruition, towards the 4 league, 20 team model King Jackie predicted in 1989.

It sort of made sense with the 4-team playoff. That is why I am hoping that somehow FSU is made to stand down, maybe they get more shares and others take less, and the ACC survives.

But there again, many things in college sports are nonsensical. They are going to consolidate themselves into collapse.
From a broadcast network view I’m not sure narrowing your population of those really interested in CFB makes sense. These schools don’t attract fans and viewers simply by being in enormously populated areas. And if it’s DTC then it really makes no sense.

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016

I would gladly give the B1G Missouri and Kentucky if SEC can add South Alabama and Tulane in their place and make them permanent State opponents!😂😂😂

patdog

May 28, 2007
From a broadcast network view I’m not sure narrowing your population of those really interested in CFB makes sense. These schools don’t attract fans and viewers simply by being in enormously populated areas. And if it’s DTC then it really makes no sense.
Bigger markets = more viewers. Doesn’t matter if it’s a cable tv model or a streaming model. If you want the North Carolina & Virgina markets (hint, you do),UNC & UVA would be two very good schools to get.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login