Latest from Delllenger regarding FSU lawsuit

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I don’t know about that. I think you reach the point of diminishing returns at some point and maybe adding these 2 schools would do that. I trust the SEC knows who would bring more money to the table and who wouldn’t. Florida st and Clemson are better football brands for sure but since the sec already has those TV markets covered, would North Carolina and Virginia make more sense? I’d imagine that is what the sec is weighing. It’s not who is a better brand it’s who being more tv money.
Nah goat knows more than the SEC.

patdog

May 28, 2007
The big 10 is coming into SEC territory if they want and nothing the SEC can do about it.

if we get fsu and Clemson they’ll get Miami and North Carolina or Virginia, etc.

Im not against fsu or Clemson but it’s not like it’s them or failure.
I agree that the Big 10 will come into the southeast. It's a question of mitigating that, not preventing it. If they wind up with Miami and Virginia, that's really not SEC territory, so big win for the SEC. If they wind up with FSU and Clemson, especially if they can combine that with say a Miami and North Carolina, that's going to hurt the SEC pretty badly.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I agree that the Big 10 will come into the southeast. It's a question of mitigating that, not preventing it. If they wind up with Miami and Virginia, that's really not SEC territory, so big win for the SEC. If they wind up with FSU and Clemson, especially if they can combine that with say a Miami and North Carolina, that's going to hurt the SEC pretty badly.
If they wind up with the best 4 in ACC sure.

but it’s highly unlikely they do that.

it absolutely doesn’t have to be Clemson and Florida state. It could be but it doesn’t have to be.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Hahahaha. 2 natties, and 2 runner-up places and a top 4 finish in 5 years. Fills up an 80K seat stadium routinely. They have one of the most rabid fanbases out there. Plenty of money. You don’t get more blue blood than that.
I’d have to do a few Google searches to see if you’re talking about the 2015-2019 Clemson teams, or early 90’s Nebraska. Stunningly similar results. Whatever happened to that Nebraska program? Surely they are still “blue blood as it gets”, right?

They also have a natty from 1981, you know. It’s not like they are Johnny come lately.

What’s your point? Georgia Tech won a national title in the early 90’s. BYU won one in 1984. Army won 3 in a row from 1944-1946. All those events are ancient history relative to today’s college football.

10 years from now, Clemson is not very likely to have any more national standalone value than Virginia. Thats what leagues and networks are looking at. They are almost as at big of a disadvantage with NIL as many of the SEC have-not programs….which is why Dabo has been de-emphasizing it and bitching about it as much as he has.

Reactions: patdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I’d have to do a few Google searches to see if you’re talking about the 2015-2019 Clemson teams, or early 90’s Nebraska. Stunningly similar results. Whatever happened to that Nebraska program? Surely they are still “blue blood as it gets”, right?

What’s your point? Georgia Tech won a national title in the early 90’s. BYU won one in 1984. Army won 3 in a row from 1944-1946. All those events are ancient history relative to today’s college football.

10 years from now, Clemson is not very likely to have any more national standalone value than Virginia. Thats what leagues and networks are looking at. They are almost as at big of a disadvantage with NIL as many of the SEC have-not programs….which is why Dabo has been de-emphasizing it and bitching about it as much as he has.
Things can change over time. My theory is you have about 25 years to capitalize on your national title ‘reputation’, which is all a blue blood really is. Clemson had lost it, but still had the ‘base’ or potential to build back, though they did it the hard way.

Nebraska and Tennessee are basically where Clemson was in 2006 or so. No longer a true blue blood, but with potential. Michigan, on the other hand, is at the cusp of regaining their status. Washington is in that territory too. Georgia Tech obviously is long gone. Notre Dame not far behind them, but at least they’ve given the playoff a run.

It’s not an exact science, but there’s also no debate with some teams. Right now and for the foreseeable future, Clemson is a national-title capable blue blood program. Guess we can talk again in 2043. But let’s not be idiotic.

patdog

May 28, 2007

Good points. It may turn out that by the time the ACC schools can leave, Clemson may not be wanted by either the SEC or Big 10. I’m sure the Big 10 wouldn’t mind giving Nebraska back.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Eh, once you’re on a plane, a few hours cruising doesn’t really make a difference. And the PAC teams have always had to fly to get to each other.

They could mitigate it some too by having permanent opponents geographic areas, and in some of the smaller sports, make them play multiple times.
Not just the players and coaches flying. For every team that flys in to play in Starkville, there's a semi or two from the visiting team that drives in. You also have the band, cheerleaders, support staff and probably a few dozen or so "strap hangers" from the university.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Not just the players and coaches flying. For every team that flys in to play in Starkville, there's a semi or two from the visiting team that drives in. You also have the band, cheerleaders, support staff and probably a few dozen or so "strap hangers" from the university.

You’re going to have ADs assign and/or appoint new Associate ADs and have them in charge of Logisitics…

Equipment will be one of their domains.

Ideally they’ll be like…

harvey keitel winston wolf GIF

Reactions: Mr. Cook

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
That’s fine, but why would players be bltching about the travel? The cost of all that stuff you mentioned was surely factored into the decision to go to the B1G.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login