Lawyer: I think I screwed up college football: NIL related

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Not sure that he did. Money hungry folks may have, though.

"Andrew Coats, the lawyer who convinced the U.S. Supreme Court in 1984 to allow universities to maximize football revenue, leading to a television-driven money-grab and today's sweeping upheaval, now looks back with regret on the landmark case he successfully argued.

“I think I screwed up college football across the board, because I think the case did it,” Coats recently told NBC News"

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
In 1984 coaches weren't making 8 figures and TV networks weren't giving schools $50M each year.

I would point to the Touhy Oher fiasco for the most blatant abuse of NIL. Deion Sanders was NIL before there was such a thing in 1985-1988. The average football player in 1984 was not where the average football player is today in skill either.

I also look back at when Dak was at State, he could have been a millionaire in 2014 from his NIL.

All that is missing now is caps on what teams like Georgia, Bama, etc can pay to get their roster. And then a draft.

Once the SEC revenue topped $1B, its no longer what it once was.

Also look at NCAA Football the video game and tell me athletes should get zero $0 of this as well (EA Sports offered a whopping $500 per player fo 2024). If you make a game you have to change all the numbers and not make the player look like the actual star players on the teams. And then no one would buy the game.

1693168214234.png

Last edited:

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
In 1984 coaches weren't making 8 figures and TV networks weren't giving schools $50M each year.

I would point to the Touhy Oher fiasco for the most blatant abuse of NIL. Deion Sanders was NIL before there was such a thing in 1985-1988. The average football player in 1984 was not where the average football player is today in skill either.

I also look back at when Dak was at State, he could have been a millionaire in 2014 from his NIL.

All that is missing now is caps on what teams like Georgia, Bama, etc can pay to get their roster. And then a draft.

Also look at NCAA Football the video game and tell me athletes should get zero $0 of this as well (EA Sports offered a whopping $500 per player fo 2024). If you make a game you have to change all the numbers and not make the player look like the actual star players on the teams. And then no one would buy the game.

View attachment 392168
Dude, you missed the entire point of the article

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009

View attachment 392168
I mean sometimes it comes down to simple math.

if ea sports can pay players and still make money, they will. If they can’t they are gonna offer less or not make a game.

getting $500 and having a game is better than $0 and not having a game.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
I mean sometimes it comes down to simple math.

if ea sports can pay players and still make money, they will. If they can’t they are gonna offer less or not make a game.

getting $500 and having a game is better than $0 and not having a game.
It would almost be like how often music artists songs get played in streaming. The # of seconds you are on the screen in the game add up to your NIL. And that would be a % cut of the revenue. Trackable for sure and payable but not what EA Sports, Sony and Microsoft want to pay.

Fix it first in Madden NFL. They are paying the NFL players around $30K today and it should not be a flat payout, it should be tracked based on per second screentime.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Dude, you missed the entire point of the article
I got the primary point - the school and conference could make money without restrictions off the players that played for them. Much more than the cost of tuition, books, food and dorm rooms. And they did to the point its led to $80M practice facilities and $50M yearly payouts. Good for them.

Now the players can both own an maximize their NIL without interference from the school or NCAA. One led to the other, eventually as money got into the multi-millions per year.

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
This is clearly false. There are thousands of fans of the series who would buy the game with generic rosters. The problem is that EA wouldn't be able to nickel and dime fans to death with in-app purchases like Ultimate Team Cards if they don't have likenesses of real players.

If players aren't satisfied with $500 (like Caleb Williams for instance, even though he won't ever be in the game anyway) then let them sit out. Then when everyone is playing it in every dorm room and apartment across campus and they aren't in it, we'll see how they feel about it.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
It would almost be like how often music artists songs get played in streaming. The # of seconds you are on the screen in the game add up to your NIL. And that would be a % cut of the revenue. Trackable for sure and payable but not what EA Sports, Sony and Microsoft want to pay.

Fix it first in Madden NFL. They are paying the NFL players around $30K today and it should not be a flat payout, it should be tracked based on per second screentime.
I mean it should be whatever agreement they come up with between them and the players and no one else.

but it’s simple math.
If revenue is less than expenses, it’s not gonna work. If the margins aren’t good enough it’s not gonna work.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login