Lazy, ignorant sportscasters

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
D-1 Power ranking show on ESPN rated us as losing 5.5 points per game. Bill Conerly, stat expert (allegedly), said we have to rebuild our receiving core!! Huh?? That’s a strength for us this year. We do have to rebuild the Defensive Safety room. It really bothers me that Joe Testatore and Greg McElrory didn’t cry foul on this buffoon. They did give Arnett credit for seeking a better balance on offense. So tired of ESPN trotting out “experts” who don’t have a clue about what goes on in Starkvegas .

Reactions: retire the banner

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
They don't give a crap about the State of Mississippi. It's ESPN and they just worry about ratings. The only reason Ole Miss gets props is because Ole Miss has a journalist school and have gotten former students in the right spots. The same reason they won their three national championships. They had journalist in the right spots at the magazines that gave their own meaningless National Championship.

However, they are lazy.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
D-1 Power ranking show on ESPN rated us as losing 5.5 points per game. Bill Conerly, stat expert (allegedly), said we have to rebuild our receiving core!! Huh?? That’s a strength for us this year. We do have to rebuild the Defensive Safety room. It really bothers me that Joe Testatore and Greg McElrory didn’t cry foul on this buffoon. They did give Arnett credit for seeking a better balance on offense. So tired of ESPN trotting out “experts” who don’t have a clue about what goes on in Starkvegas .
Connelly has A&M and Oklahoma as top 8 teams preseason last year. Math is great and all but it doesn’t always paint the full picture.

• Haha
Reactions: patdog

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Regarding the receiver thing. if you want to take a surface level view at it, we did lose 4 of our Top 5 reception leaders from year, half of our TD receptions, and 3 of our Top 4 leaders in yards.

That said, talent-wise we should be totally fine given who we are expecting to take on increased roles. We also return a guy in Walley who isn’t talked about much but has almost 2,000 career receiving yards and 11 TD’s.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

HammerOfTheDogs

Aug 6, 2004
Think about it. there are about 15-20 teams that people care about nationally. Sports guys are going to dig deep for those schools. The rest? Just looking at wire reports. All they know is that Mike Leach died, and the dude replacing him is on his first head coaching job.

The MSU beat writers might be spreading sunshine, but they have a vested interest in reporting MSU football.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
They don't give a crap about the State of Mississippi. It's ESPN and they just worry about ratings. The only reason Ole Miss gets props is because Ole Miss has a journalist school and have gotten former students in the right spots. The same reason they won their three national championships. They had journalist in the right spots at the magazines that gave their own meaningless National Championship.

However, they are lazy.
Ole Miss hasn't won three national championships. They claim them, but a lot of people claim 5hit that isn't theirs.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Regarding the receiver thing. if you want to take a surface level view at it, we did lose 4 of our Top 5 reception leaders from year, half of our TD receptions, and 3 of our Top 4 leaders in yards.

That said, talent-wise we should be totally fine given who we are expecting to take on increased roles. We also return a guy in Walley who isn’t talked about much but has almost 2,000 career receiving yards and 11 TD’s.
Yeah, I'd be more worried if we were trying to continue with the air raid. We finally built some depth at WR and then lost a lot of our top guys. But running a more traditional offense we don't need that depth.

ChinaDogSunflower

Aug 26, 2012
We might. But I really don't care what they think or say. They have proven they don't do research and still get paid/promoted.

Hopefully the coaching staff if putting this stuff all over the bulletin board.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
All they see is, lost leading receiver & changing offense. I’m sure there will be some growing pains this fall, but I’m fairly optimistic. We usually do best when the idiot sportswriters are dismissing us.
Was RaRa our best receiver? I think Tulu would be given him playing the slot instead of outside.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

bomanishus

Mar 17, 2009
Y'all do realize we have a new head coach this year, right? Truthfully, any team that has a new head coach has question marks and those are legit.

A lot of State people fail to recognize that Zac is an unknown commodity to the outside world, and to a degree, to us. The 'experts' have just added that to the annual narrative that we can't be any good and it gives them even more reason to downplay us.

I'm not taking up for the idiots, but we do have to acknowledge that there are legitimate question marks about the team.

This team enjoys being the underdog and will wear the chip into games.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
And next year it will be that we lost everyone from QB to DB and everything in between. So, get used to it.

State will not get the benefit of the doubt when it comes to replacing talent because they do not think we recruit well enough.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

StumpNewGround

Dec 9, 2022
And next year it will be that we lost everyone from QB to DB and everything in between. So, get used to it.

State will not get the benefit of the doubt when it comes to replacing talent because they do not think we recruit well enough.
Two things will remain constant for the near future.
1) Texas kids will more times than not, better than 50%, be overrated
2)Mississippi kids more times than not, better than 50%, will be underrated

PK Dawg

Jul 17, 2022
We, the fans of this tiny market team, are literally the only people in the world that care about the difference between us finishing 3-7 in the west (along with the other teams predicted 3-7). In footballs current form 1 & 2 move the needle on a national scale and 3/4 are no better than 6/7. We’ve been in that 1-2 range like twice in my lifetime.
The expanded playoff will change that for some teams as 3-5 finishers will start getting regular cracks at the playoffs which the eyes of the cfb world will be on.
For now I’ll give the national media a pass on not being as well-versed or hyped up as the local fans/beat on the ~110+ teams that have no national footprint and don’t move the needle from a media perspective.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Ole Miss hasn't won three national championships. They claim them, but a lot of people claim 5hit that isn't theirs.
Here are the facts regarding their claimed NC. They lied about these like they do about everything else.

Attachments

• IMG_4200.jpeg
    IMG_4200.jpeg
    77.3 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: Drebin and patdog

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
Josh Pate has us at 25 which is probably about right. If there weren’t a head coach and scheme change we would probably be higher but those two changes are pretty big. Pate is as about as good as it gets when it comes to daily CFB coverage IMHO. I don’t see why anyone would watch ESPN except when the games are on.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Y'all do realize we have a new head coach this year, right? Truthfully, any team that has a new head coach has question marks and those are legit.

A lot of State people fail to recognize that Zac is an unknown commodity to the outside world, and to a degree, to us. The 'experts' have just added that to the annual narrative that we can't be any good and it gives them even more reason to downplay us.

I'm not taking up for the idiots, but we do have to acknowledge that there are legitimate question marks about the team.

This team enjoys being the underdog and will wear the chip into games.
Yet somehow Oklahoma was preseason 8 last year with a new head coach, losing Caleb Williams, Spencer Rattler, and their leading rusher Kennedy Brooks. They also lost their 2nd leading rusher Caleb Williams.

And yes I know Oklahoma recruits better than us, but they lost a generational talent at QB and one of the greatest offensive minds in CFB and replaced him with a defensive coach that had never been a HC before. They got the benefit of the doubt because of their helmet.

StumpNewGround

Dec 9, 2022
Josh Pate has us at 25 which is probably about right. If there weren’t a head coach and scheme change we would probably be higher but those two changes are pretty big. Pate is as about as good as it gets when it comes to daily CFB coverage IMHO. I don’t see why anyone would watch ESPN except when the games are on.
Yep. He’s kind of hard for me to watch but, when he talks about a team, he’s done more than lip service research. I mean, if that’s your job, dig into it. He does his job.

Reactions: BigDawg0074
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login