Leach audio, it's a nothingburger.

Yeti

Feb 20, 2018
Can we get the ole punter to weigh in on what Mullen would have said? Might add a little color around coach speak.

Reactions: CochiseCowbell

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
It’s amazing how this board who only weeks ago was praising DJ, now almost everyone thinks he’s a ****. Know one on this board knows exactly what transpired except for the recording. Seems to me that DJ said he was leaving, Leach got his panties in a wad then made his comment, then some DB or low life recorded it then sent it to Johnson who in turn made his tweet . Regardless best of luck DJ and thanks.
No offense, but that's about the worst gotcha ever.

People were rightfully praising him. I defended him all year playing injured.

What he did leaving is bad and wrong and really only reflects on him.

I don't hate the guy. Won't hold this against him. It's a mistake. Move forward.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
Yes, Dillon is leaving. I hate to see him go, I know you guys push each other competitively and feed off of each other, but I still think we have a solid nucleus of backs here that can be as good or better next year.

It’s really easy. You don’t talk about someone else poorly when they’re not even in the room, especially to another player.

DJ is good, but he's not some irreplaceable talent. I wish him the best but this is not a program killer.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
He doesn’t have to say anything. People leave all the time. If we cant handle it without bashing them all we may need to look at our approach. I know all of us old people think it’s not a huge deal but thats not who the staff has to explain stuff like this to. Hopefully it indeed amounts to nothing.

If I told my manager I was quitting and then he went behind my back to tell people he was glad bc he didn’t think I worked hard Id probably be pissed too. And then you may have others who think “if he would say that about the brilliant 8dog, what’s he saying about me?”

Again I hope it’s nothing but I get DJ being mad. Went about it wrong.

Do we know if DJ even talked to Leach, gave him a chance to talk to him face to face?

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Do we know if DJ even talked to Leach, gave him a chance to talk to him face to face?

Per the people who write the details:

the phone call happened a “couple of days” before it was shared. On the call, Leach shares that Dillon was leaving then. I’m told despite State’s best efforts and NIL offers, DJ was simply ready to go. State tried to keep him. He wasn’t pushed out. He just made his decision. It’s absolutely his call.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Richard Cross and Michael Borky are having a field day with all this crap. They want our Line Backers and any other players they can pilfer. This has become a sick, demented process where opponents will do and say anything to damage your program. They lost all integrity with their comments today. I have no doubt Leach has said worse to DJ at practice. What did he want Leach to say when he said he was leaving? Time to put this sh*t behind us as State fans and move on. We've beaten this dead horse and walked him dry.

Reactions: WilCoDawg

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Richard Cross and Michael Borky are having a field day with all this crap. They want our Line Backers and any other players they can pilfer. This has become a sick, demented process where opponents will do and say anything to damage your program. They lost all integrity with their comments today. I have no doubt Leach has said worse to DJ at practice. What did he want Leach to say when he said he was leaving? Time to put this sh*t behind us as State fans and move on. We've beaten this dead horse and walked him dry.
If this were them we'd do the same thing.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
If the guy is already leaving I don't see any advantage making that comment. You can say:

he's no longer my concern.
We don't need him.
<17> him. (That one might be unnecessary also)

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Yes, Dillon is leaving. I hate to see him go, I know you guys push each other competitively and feed off of each other, but I still think we have a solid nucleus of backs here that can be as good or better next year.

It’s really easy. You don’t talk about someone else poorly when they’re not even in the room, especially to another player.

First off, its my understanding he was talking on the phone to a recruit, and was recorded by someone not on the other end of the phone but in the vicinity of the conversation. So I’m not sure that’s the approach to take.

And I think its fair to say there are sour grapes and some immaturity here on Leach’s behalf, but I’m not sure what else is to be realistically expected under the circumstances. From Leach’s perspective, a starter and cornerstone piece of our offense who had absolutely nothing to complain about regarding his role was talking to other teams and had one foot out the door DURING THE SEASON.

Any coach is going to be pissed about that and probably let something slip when having to describe such a situation. Was “not very tough” the correct description? I don’t know, but if it wasn’t that, it was going to be “he’s selfish, he’s a backstabbing POS, he’s not cut out for our program”, or something similar. Right or wrong, that’s the culture of football. If it were Saban or Bear Bryant or anyone else, they’d have something negative to say, too.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Drag Race Emo GIF by RuPaul's Drag Race

Reactions: CochiseCowbell

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
First off, its my understanding he was talking on the phone to a recruit, and was recorded by someone not on the other end of the phone but in the vicinity of the conversation. So I’m not sure that’s the approach to take.

And I think its fair to say there are sour grapes and some immaturity here on Leach’s behalf, but I’m not sure what else is to be realistically expected under the circumstances. From Leach’s perspective, a starter and cornerstone piece of our offense who had absolutely nothing to complain about regarding his role was talking to other teams and had one foot out the door DURING THE SEASON.

Any coach is going to be pissed about that and probably let something slip when having to describe such a situation. Was “not very tough” the correct description? I don’t know, but if it wasn’t that, it was going to be “he’s selfish, he’s a backstabbing POS, he’s not cut out for our program”, or something similar. Right or wrong, that’s the culture of football. If it were Saban or Bear Bryant or anyone else, they’d have something negative to say, too.
If that is what happened then Leach can file a lawsuit. If the conversation was recorded by either party in the conversation then he has no case.

pmack3641

Aug 9, 2019
He is on the road recruiting. Be more aware
How do you know he’s on the road? Did he personal call or text you or perhaps you heard it someplace. Your fan boy crush is really over the top, but your buddy’s so I guess you know it all.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
How do you know he’s on the road? Did he personal call or text you or perhaps you heard it someplace. Your fan boy crush is really over the top, but your buddy’s so I guess you know it all.

How do I know? because those recruits are posting pictures of his in homes!

HotMop

May 8, 2006

That's the shortened version. I found the entire the entire unedited transcript on reddit.

That's why they had to cut it off. The full quote was:
"And so, I've got to be excited about a guy that leaves and, uh, Dillon Johnson's leaving and I'm actually kind of glad because I don't think he's very tough, and so Dillon Johnson's leaving and, if you want to talk about tough, I mean, rhinoceroses are tough with that thick skin, which is something kids don't have today, that thick skin, that, uh, you can make pork rinds from that too, that thick skin, but in the fancy restaurants in Commiefornia they call them chicharrones or something like that, but chicharrones sounds like a shape of pasta to me and pasta's italian, it's not hispanic or latino or latinx, isn't that what it is now, latinx, but how do you pronounce that? Is it like Rain-X, the windshield stuff for the rain, or lynx, the cat with the cool ear hair, which you get when you get older, the ear hair, not the tough skin, but maybe you do get that when you're older because kids today don't have it, but rhinos do."

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
If that is what happened then Leach can file a lawsuit. If the conversation was recorded by either party in the conversation then he has no case.

Perhaps true, although I think that is probably the furthest thing from Leach’s mind. At least I would hope so. Even if he’s legally in the right, a multimillionaire college coach suing one of his own players over something as petty as this would be a really bad look.

pmack3641

Aug 9, 2019
No offense, but that's about the worst gotcha ever.

People were rightfully praising him. I defended him all year playing injured.

What he did leaving is bad and wrong and really only reflects on him.

I don't hate the guy. Won't hold this against him. It's a mistake. Move forward.
Why is it bad, it was his decision and he has his reasons. So based on your thought process the thousand or so players in the portal are making a mistake changing schools. Examine the timeline before you judge his decision or comments as bad. Finally never said you didn’t defend him or bad mouthed him during the year it’s only now since his decision and the aftermath of his comment after leach made his.

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021
That's the shortened version. I found the entire the entire unedited transcript on reddit.

That's why they had to cut it off. The full quote was:
"And so, I've got to be excited about a guy that leaves and, uh, Dillon Johnson's leaving and I'm actually kind of glad because I don't think he's very tough, and so Dillon Johnson's leaving and, if you want to talk about tough, I mean, rhinoceroses are tough with that thick skin, which is something kids don't have today, that thick skin, that, uh, you can make pork rinds from that too, that thick skin, but in the fancy restaurants in Commiefornia they call them chicharrones or something like that, but chicharrones sounds like a shape of pasta to me and pasta's italian, it's not hispanic or latino or latinx, isn't that what it is now, latinx, but how do you pronounce that? Is it like Rain-X, the windshield stuff for the rain, or lynx, the cat with the cool ear hair, which you get when you get older, the ear hair, not the tough skin, but maybe you do get that when you're older because kids today don't have it, but rhinos do."
Wow, that was exceptionally well done.

SirBarksalot

May 28, 2007
Several years ago I hired a guy for a senior level position. He quit after less than 6 months because he thought I was a meaneee. Somebody could have recorded what I called him and it was a lot worse than "not tough".
So listen to this. Last month, it was announced that a senior Area Director was let go. It was a shocker. No one could figure it out. Here’s what happened..AD had made a new hire. New hire went to training. Came back from training, and quit. AD was in a vehicle with some other corporate people when new hire called to quit . AD called him a pu$$y.
Well a few days later, HR said hey, the guy that quit filed a complaint. Our attorneys are gonna call you to get your side. They did, and determined AD should be fired.
Unbelievable. I wasn’t a big fan of this guy, but that’s total BS. Different world we live in today.

patdog

May 28, 2007
So listen to this. Last month, it was announced that a senior Area Director was let go. It was a shocker. No one could figure it out. Here’s what happened..AD had made a new hire. New hire went to training. Came back from training, and quit. AD was in a vehicle with some other corporate people when new hire called to quit . AD called him a pu$$y.
Well a few days later, HR said hey, the guy that quit filed a complaint. Our attorneys are gonna call you to get your side. They did, and determined AD should be fired.
Unbelievable. I wasn’t a big fan of this guy, but that’s total BS. Different world we live in today.
I do think HR and legal overreacted. But your Area Director is a dubmass.

SirBarksalot

May 28, 2007
I do think HR and legal overreacted. But your Area Director is a dubmass.
Wasn’t my AD, but Yeah, I have to think there was something else in his file. Like I said, I wasn’t a fan, he would do **** like the Ol’ unsuspecting stomach slap. I bit my lip when he did that to me. Jersey guy…

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
I’m no NFL scout, but is he really an NFL prospect? I don’t see it, but wish him luck.
I don’t think so but I believe he thinks he needs to be a offense that runs more to have a better shot at it. I’m not smart enough to know if he is right or not.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Why is it bad, it was his decision and he has his reasons. So based on your thought process the thousand or so players in the portal are making a mistake changing schools. Examine the timeline before you judge his decision or comments as bad. Finally never said you didn’t defend him or bad mouthed him during the year it’s only now since his decision and the aftermath of his comment after leach made his.
It's not about him leaving. It's not about him transferring. I made a post about the reality of him and Marks. Here it is once again:

"I fully understand DJ leaving for more nil money. He has 1 year left to play at this level. He has a kid and it could mean alot in securing his family's future because the NFL is not a certainty for him or most" Nothing about that has changed.

The issue is what he did on the way out. What he did was to hurt the team chemistry, the university and more. He tried to burn it down. And he is the one that comes out of this looking bad.

pmack3641

Aug 9, 2019
It's not about him leaving. It's not about him transferring. I made a post about the reality of him and Marks. Here it is once again:

"I fully understand DJ leaving for more nil money. He has 1 year left to play at this level. He has a kid and it could mean alot in securing his family's future because the NFL is not a certainty for him or most" Nothing about that has changed.

The issue is what he did on the way out. What he did was to hurt the team chemistry, the university and more. He tried to burn it down. And he is the one that comes out of this looking bad.
Because he made a negative tweet, I seriously doubt he hurt “the team chemistry “ that’s you being butt hurt cause someone made a negative comment about your BFF. If that tweet hurt the team where in real trouble come the bowl game and next year..

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Because he made a negative tweet, I seriously doubt he hurt “the team chemistry “ that’s you being butt hurt cause someone made a negative comment about your BFF. If that tweet hurt the team where in real trouble come the bowl game and next year..
Yes, because what he did on the way out. He attempted to burn it down. Luckily, he had some great people step in and changed his path. All he ended up doing was hurting his chances with other teams.

You are right. Thanks to the staff, we are good to go.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login