Leach will be OM next coach

AzzurriDawg4

Nov 11, 2007
That will be a bad thing for us. All he has to do is go sign one of his system QBs and he will be rolling on offense, especially with Moncrief and Brassell there. <div>
</div><div>I will say that the dialogue between Leach and Mullen should be epic though. </div>

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
"elitist" in him.

If he is hired, in my opinion he would realize after a short period of time (if not before hired) that they are a bunch of self-overvalued pricks and not get along with them in the long run at all. Best case he comes aboard, wins some games pretty quick proving that he is still a good coach and is gone to a better gig in 2 or 3 years then you are left w/ a somewhat unique system with athletes recruited to it and trying to find somebody to come in and pick it up.

Indndawg

Nov 16, 2005
Nickky's grades
CJ's angst
other attrition......wouldn't put my hopes on the Land Rover class

AzzurriDawg4

Nov 11, 2007
His offense made Michael Crabtree one of the best WR in college football - he is just a league average NFL receiver.

gravedigger

Feb 6, 2009
I'm sure a good qb can stir things up and get them to 6 wins, but he's going to have to do some work to get the guy protected. and even then, the defense has to get somewhat up to speed.

I think the team has quit on them, but even before they did, they werent that effective for 60 minutes.

FQDawg

May 1, 2006
Could be mis-remembering but whoever said it intimated that it came from someone in the athletic department at OM.

LightninInside

Apr 1, 2008
Fedora would be a very good pick up for them if they can get over their elitist attitude.

I hope they hire Leach. He would have a very difficult time in the SEC and with recruits. He is a genius and an offensive mastermind, but most people agree that he couldn't be successful in the SEC. The word is that Archie and Co unfortunatly aren't considering Leach.

Coach34

Jul 20, 2012
The Pirate would be the best possible hire for Miss State. His system would get QB's killed in the SEC. And Mullen would look like Saban in recruiting vs him- he doesnt have Texas to pull all his talent from anymore.<div>
</div><div>Mississippi is filled with I-formation and wing-T teams- and is just starting to get to the year 2000 of modern offense. He would fail at Mississippi terribly.</div>

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
that the pirate would be forced to incarcerate for stupidity.

gtowndawg

Jan 23, 2007
I think it could be Houston Nutt all over again. You're hiring someone that was fired for a reason. He's crazy. I kind of like the guy to be honest, but all signs point to him being very weird and hard to deal with.

I could see him having a couple of good years and then reality sets in all of the sudden he doesn't get along with anyone.

We will see I guess.

jakldawg

May 1, 2006
by his "harsh" treatment of an entitled daddy's boy (whose dad was flexing his muscle as part of jump starting a political campaign-read the book).
He'd last MAYBE two seasons at Ole Miss.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
Leach has been my favorite coach and a personal hero for a long time. If he goes to Ole Miss, then the football gods have not only betrayed me, they've twisted the knife.<div>
</div><div>I can find better things to do than watch my hero turn Ole Miss into a national power and kick our *** every year.</div>

Thick

Dec 29, 2008
only pertains to bball. Archie won't entertain Leach per some of my OM buds.

coach66

Mar 5, 2009
To chase young college girls according to nafoom. Hell, he is a perfect fit.

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
So, go ahead bring on that offensive genius.

After listening to what some of the Bears have to say,...with this hire, they will still be:

A House Divided!

Sort of defeats the purpose.

jb1020

Jun 7, 2009
Or be the AD himself he ain't goin to Oxford. No way a guy like that takes a job not knowing who his boss would be.

He honestly doesn't worry me anyways. Isn't the "best" bowl he's ever been to the cotton when he got skull 17ed by hooten dale and the wyld boyz?

I wouldn't count on his system working that well in the SEC west for obvious reasons.

wallylunchmeat

Mar 3, 2008
13,704 posts..mormans and Leach "being one" all in the same post... You still don't know **** about baseball btw...mormans....ha

Todd4State

Mar 3, 2008
He was born a Morman and went to BYU. If you want that to be used against you in recruiting- and it will, by all means be my guest.

RebelBruiser

Aug 21, 2007
gtowndawg said:
I think it could be Houston Nutt all over again. You're hiring someone that was fired for a reason. He's crazy. I kind of like the guy to be honest, but all signs point to him being very weird and hard to deal with.

I could see him having a couple of good years and then reality sets in all of the sudden he doesn't get along with anyone.

We will see I guess.

There is one big difference between Nutt and Leach. Nutt was liked by the administration but hated and ultimately run off by the fans.

Leach was hated by and run off by the administration, but he was loved by the fans.

He is crazy, but he'd be entertaining. If you're looking to boost ticket sales for next year, he's the one hire that would do the most for ticket sales. I think ultimately he would have to go find his 2 star spread QBs from Texas, just like he did at Texas Tech, but I wouldn't see him having a problem doing that, especially with the addition of A&M to the SEC footprint.

He'd have better athletes at the skill positions though and better defensive talent to build from. Recruiting in Lubbock does not really offer you the benefit of recruiting the best that Texas has to offer. He'd have a better chance at that kind of talent in Mississippi.

The big concern I'd have with him and his offense is whether or not the athletes he would recruit here would be able to pick up his offense. From my understanding, the offense itself is fairly simple in its execution, but it relies a lot on timing and pre-snap reads by both the WRs and QBs.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
OM seems to have a history of hiring coaches who are basically either washed up or were fired from their previous job. Best I can tell, they've been doing this off and on since Vaught was there. And they do it with players too ... Brunetti, Masoli, etc.<div>
</div><div>I think the best they could do would be to hire an "up and comer", pretty much like we did, with a clean record. They're nuts if think they're going to get Urban Meyer or anybody of that nature. And if they hire Leach, I think they'll regret it very soon.</div>

patdog

May 28, 2007
and was never even in the game in the 2nd half. So good luck with that "we'll just get Mike Leach and tell him to get a good defensive coordinator" approach. Like somehow the idea of actually playing defense had neverevenoccurred to him and all it takes is a suggestion from Archie and he'll suddenly see the light and start having lock-down defenses.

RebelBruiser

Aug 21, 2007
I stand by that.

I know it's comparative, but his defenses especially late in his time at Texas Tech were above average Big 12 defenses.

That said, I wouldn't expect him to have lock down defenses, nor would I expect him to need them to be able to beat the average and bad SEC teams we play.

Would we lose to the LSU's, Florida's, and Alabama's when they're great? Definitely, but we will with just about anyone we hire. Leach would likely at least give us a better than average chance at beating all of the middle of the road teams we would play and would give us a fighting chance in some of those other games.

Leach did manage to beat Eli twice, so again I think it's ridiculous to use one game as an argument against the guy.

From 2000-2009, Leach's teams had fewer NFL draft picks than we had in the same time period. He went to 10 straight bowl games, and we went to 5 during that period.

Coach34

Jul 20, 2012
he has more talent around him to pick from.<div>
</div><div>You guys sacked his QB 6 or 7 times...and a Mike Leach defense will never be very good because they are constantly on defense</div><div>
</div><div>Please hire him- PLEASE</div>

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login