Leach will be OM next coach

Rebels7

Mar 3, 2008
But that's the dumbest thing you've said in a while. Tech has never, and never will, do well in recruiting. If you think "Grenada's Sister City" is tough to recruit to, you've never been to Lubbock. In rains mud and smells like cowshit 6 months out of the year. And no, I'm not just saying that.

rickPleasac

Dec 6, 2009
All this talk about how his system won't work in the SEC need to remember the kind of points/numbers he put up at Kentucky. I'm skeptical about his ability to recruit and hire the right coaches for the defensive side of the ball, but putting up points (relative to the rest of the SEC) won't be a problem. The state of Mississippi doesn't have QBs that fit the system, but he should not have any problem finding a system QB that would want to play for Leach.

Coach34

Jul 20, 2012
Leach just helped with gameplanning and coached QB's- I'm sure he called some during his time there- but Mumme ran that show. Also, they didnt run the shotgun all the time at Kentucky as he does now- they were under center more than they were in shotgun.

Coach34

Jul 20, 2012
in freaking New Mexico had nothing to do with it huh?<div>
</div><div>please hire Leach- PLEASE</div>

Foronce

Mar 26, 2008
...what like that is hard when you beat iowa state, baylor, colorado, and kansas

not to mention you recruit the state of TEXAS!

RebelBruiser

Aug 21, 2007
but I think it's funny how much you think Leach sucks considering the numbers his offense put up in the passing game with around 6 different QBs over 10 years with none of those QBs being good enough to log minutes in the NFL. His system obviously works and doesn't require a team of NFL talent to achieve results.

You may question his ability to recruit or operate that system in Mississippi or the SEC, and you may be right, but people said the same type of thing about Meyer when he came and brought the offense you're currently running to the SEC. Obviously they were wrong then. In the Southeast, we're known for dragging our feet when it comes to change.

Even NFL teams are running variations of the hurry up/spread passing attack these days, yet most SEC teams are still avoiding it.

RebelBruiser

Aug 21, 2007
Foronce said:
...what like that is hard when you beat iowa state, baylor, colorado, and kansas

not to mention you recruit the state of TEXAS!

Congrats. You named half the Big 12 North. A&M, OSU, OU, and Texas were on his schedule every year.

And yes he got to recruit Texas, but Texas isn't such a fertile recruiting ground when you're trying to recruit those players to Lubbock in the middle of nowhere West Texas. Just watch what happens to Tommy Tuberville during his tenure there and you'll see.

Leach is on my top list of coaches I'd like to see us hire, but he's not the only one, so I'm not campaigning for the guy. I just think it's funny when people try to discredit him. Either they don't understand how difficult a job Texas Tech is, or they think he's a little crazy, and he is.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Ever heard of a couple of HS programs named Odessa and Perriman? They're both about 2 hours from Lubbock. And Leach did get to play Baylor every year when they were terrible, A&M wasn't good either. And they did get to play half of those Big 12 North teams every year.

The Tech job is difficult? You've posted on the Nafoom board that they've been to something like 34 bowl games. Leach didn't take them to all of those.

Leach had a better than average Big 12 defense by his last year? So what, that's still a freaking terrible defense.

Don't get me wrong. I think he'll do a decent job at Mississippi if you hire him. But you guys creaming over the thought of possibly hiring him are ridiculous.It's not like he's going totake you to middle tier bowls (Cotton, Peach, Gator, Outback) every year.

MedDawg

Apr 24, 2009
They played Ole Miss in 2003 (TT won) and OM (TT won) and Ohio State (TT lost) in 2002 . <div>
</div><div>In 2000 and 2001 they did not play a BCS team OOC.</div><div>
</div><div>So, yeah, you play four non-BCS teams every year and then get to play Iowa State, Kansas, Baylor, and Colorado, you're going to get to 8 regular season wins most years. </div>

RebelBruiser

Aug 21, 2007
Just that it's not nearly as fertile as being able to recruit the Houston and DFW areas, which they will always have a more difficult time doing.

Just because they're in Texas doesn't make Texas Tech an easy recruiting job.

Yes, Tech has been to 34 bowl games. We've been to 33, and I think our job is difficult.

Texas Tech is at best the 4th easiest job in their division. A&M, Texas, and OU should all be easier jobs. OSU with Boone Pickens now is making up ground on being as easy or easier than Texas Tech's job.

On your last statement? Who is going to take us to Cotton/Gator/Outback/Peach Bowls every year? I think that's the better question to answer. Is there a coach out there that can do that at Ole Miss or MSU? I think there are potential hires we could make that could turn out better than Leach, but at the same time, each of those carries more risks.

RebelBruiser

Aug 21, 2007
And for the record, I agree with that philosophy? I'll break Leach's record down for you, since it's such a concern.

Out of conference regular season - 32-6 (yes, largely against non-BCS opponents)
Bowls - 5-4
Texas - 2-8
Oklahoma - 3-7
Texas A&M - 7-3
Oklahoma State - 6-4
Baylor - 10-0
Nebraska - 4-2
Kansas - 5-1
Kansas State - 5-1
Iowa State - 3-1
Missouri - 1-3
Colorado - 1-3

Just so you can break it down for yourself. What stands out to me is that he generally beat the teams he was supposed to beat and occasionally beat the really good teams.

esplanade91

Dec 9, 2010
RebelBruiser said:
but I think it's funny how much you think Leach sucks considering the numbers his offense put up in the passing game with around 6 different QBs over 10 years with none of those QBs being good enough to log minutes in the NFL. His <span style="font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; text-decoration: underline;">SYSTEM</span> obviously works and doesn't require a team of NFL talent to achieve results.

You may question his ability to recruit or operate that system in Mississippi or the SEC, and you may be right, but people said the same type of thing about Meyer when he came and brought the offense you're currently running to the SEC. Obviously they were wrong then. In the Southeast, we're known for dragging our feet when it comes to change.

Even NFL teams are running variations of the hurry up/spread passing attack these days, yet most SEC teams are still avoiding it.
Exactly. How many NFL caliber players did Nutt "develop" at Arkansas? I can name you 3 freaks of nature right now... McFadden, Felix, and Matt Jones (irrelevant that he got in trouble and doesn't play because of it)... how many times did he go to the SECCG? AND how consistently did he beat top 10 opponents and have his team in the top 10 himself? Very, very, very often. Very. Did that translate to Ole Miss? 12 straight SEC losses and not any recruit that has the ambition and drive AND talent to make it in the NFL. It's night and day.

But you hit the nail on the head, TTU was a system. Not to mention during the last 3 years of his tenure, the Big 12 had the worst defensive statistics of any conference. Their top defense was OU at #50. I remember that distinctively. This is the big boy league... Houston/Leach-type systems don't work. If you need proof you can go back and watch the Ole Miss game where yall BEAT Leach when he argued a BCS berth and yall were happy as hell to play in the Cotton after winning 8.

Please hire Leach. Not only will his offense see limited success, your defense will continue to set SEC all-time highs. And I don't see Leach's personality addressing the obvious problem of "getting African-American players to come to Ole Miss." Dude is weird as ****, and I couldn't think of a more opposite type of person to relate to young, African-American players*.

*see TTU teams that were mostly all white

dawgs.sixpack

Oct 22, 2010
he also isn't active in LDS and hasn't been for a long time. so sure, he was born into a mormon family, but religion isn't like your ethnicity which stays with you, you can change your religion or drop it altogether and you are no longer a "mormon".

Foronce

Mar 26, 2008
getting to 6 wins isn't so tough

when you look at their out of conf schedule his nine years
baylor 10-0
iowa state, kansas, colorado at least one a year

Todd4State

Mar 3, 2008
and yet you have Ole Miss fans saying that he isn't a Christian?

If he isn't active in LDS, I guess that makes him either an aethiest or unchurched, which is actually probably worse than being a Morman when you are talking about recruiting in Mississippi.

Bottom line is, hiring Leach- religion is going to be used against them in recruiting, and not just by MSU- but Bama, LSU, and etc.

rawdawg14

Sep 2, 2010
but the point remains, if played in the SEC they couldn't stop any damn body....I think you're missing the main point though, it was against Nutt & co and they got drug.

patdog

May 28, 2007
And that's even after 2 meaningless 4th quarter TDs after the game was already over. Don't think for a second that he's going to come into the SEC and duplicate what he did at Texas Tech. He'll have decent offenses (and terrible defenses) but nobody's going to be calling him a genius.

RebelBruiser

Aug 21, 2007
They rotate a 3 and 3 in the Big 12, so for two years they played Kansas, KSU, and Nebraska. Then the next set of 2 years they would play Missouri, Colorado, and Iowa State.

By the way, Colorado went to 5 bowls during Leach's 10 years at Texas Tech, including 2 of the 4 times Leach's teams played them. They are a historically solid football program. They're just bad now.

Given that we're 2-5 in our last 7 against Vanderbilt, I would gladly welcome a coach that beats teams like Baylor regularly. For programs like ours, that's a good thing. Mullen is looking to make a career at MSU out of beating the teams he's "supposed" to beat.

Foronce

Mar 26, 2008
I said it was no be feat to get to 10 straight bowl games

play 4 nobodys
and beat 2 bad teams in your division

every team in any bcs Division that is a lower tier team in their divison should bust their *** to make this happen

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login