Leaving SEC

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
It's just a matter of time. The top 10 or so programs are going to join up with the top programs in the other conferences and create a 30 or so team super league. We'll be left with the other smaller P5 programs + the larger G5 programs in the 2nd tier. It'll be a big TV revenue hit, but overall probably the best thing for us under the circumstances. We've never been able to compete with the largest programs in the SEC, but the gap is about to get a lot bigger.
If a super conference was formed and federal legislation was passed allowing amateur sports and making it violation of antitrust law to give under the table benefits to players of schools benefitting from an antitrust provision allowing them to have amateur sports, I'd be perfectly happy to watch amateur athletics at state and compete against Ole Miss, USM, Memphis, Tulane, etc. As long as games are available on streaming, which they would be I think, I don't think that would make me enjoy at less at all. WOuld be a hell of a painful transition for the athletic department. But in the end if I wanted to watch pro sports, I'd watch the highest level of pro sports. I'll keep watching MSU as long as they are participating in minor league professional sports, but I won't be upset if we go to amateur sports. I would hate to see us still not be allowed to enforce amateurism but to be in a really ****** minor league.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
doesn’t look that bad now, does it?
I realize you're just trolling for attention, but we would become USM, I'll pass.
Rainbow Thumbs Down GIF by Mind Pump Media

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
It would help if a portion of that could be NIL. You could argue that players still aren't getting a piece of the pie.
that will be the point of contention. currently it is the university and total team brand that gets that for live games which is a total split between two teams. the NFL TV deals go to the owners along with all merch and ticket sales, then it gets paid out to players via contracts. i would guess if SEC did that it would have to result in a draft and salary caps.

what may make more sense is the baseball coaches still getting 7 figure deals for bat agreements. that is a brand paying for usage, that should go to the players - maybe it does with some coaches.

Last edited:
Reactions: Anon1669338224

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
What made me bump this? …I just think some of this will come into play ….especially with PAC 12 folding …..also, I’m going to eventually be right, so we may as well getter moved up!
You have made multiple predictions/guesses/claims/views. Which is the one you will eventually be right about?
And if someone predicts the end of the world, but it doesnt happen for another thousand years...should they get credit still?

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
What made me bump this? …I just think some of this will come into play ….especially with PAC 12 folding …..also, I’m going to eventually be right, so we may as well getter moved up!
Going to the ACC isnt gonna change anything if it ultimately becomes a super conference. We would just be forfeiting a bunch of money until that time. But go ahead and declare premature and incorrect victory

Reactions: dawgstudent

STATEgrad04

Mar 3, 2008
I see the point of us potentially getting pushed out in the future, if/when the super conference forms, but you never jump off this kind of gravy train voluntarily! Are we just going to ignore how well this has worked out historically in sprots for GT, Tulane, and the Sewanee? If Tulane and GT had remained in the SEC you wouldnt have the same LSU and GA success, also you Tulane and GT would be more successful....creating a more balanced conference. As the SEC continues to add schools, it only makes more sense for us to remain for as long as they will have us. And dont forget a super confernece cant be solely built with elite teams that continuously beat up on each other, middle of the road teams are needed as well.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Our model going forward if we want to be at least respectable in the SEC kinda has to be like "that" team that always shows up and wins two or three games at the NCAA basketball tournament that is well coached, hardnose and disciplined but not that talented. We're never going to make a big splash on national signing day but we we can find coachable hard nosed kids that want a chance to play from the portal and such . I think, more than ever, our key going forward is finding and keeping a head coach (duh) who can find those players, develop them and consistently win 6-8 games a year with an occasional significant upset mixed in. As far as the things that are out of our control "que sera sera".

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Look, we'll never be able to compete with the vast majority of teams in the SEC but we'll have more money than we've ever had before but we'll continue to be in the bottom/bottom-half of the league in most sports. Conversely, you leave the SEC and your recruiting will suck. We'd essentially turn into USM only with a bigger fanbase.
But we do compete with the majority of the SEC, at least in the 3 sports most of this board cares about. We get our *** kicked by Bama and Georgia, and will continue to. However, we are competitive with everyone else. I guess that’s why I don’t understand the doom and gloom of some fans.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
But we do compete with the majority of the SEC, at least in the 3 sports most of this board cares about. We get our *** kicked by Bama and Georgia, and will continue to. However, we are competitive with everyone else. I guess that’s why I don’t understand the doom and gloom of some fans.
It's a lack of hope, and it's shared by the majority of fans of college football. I'm hoping the expanded playoff can rectify that.

Reactions: CochiseCowbell

MagnoliaHunter

Jan 23, 2007
None of your three posts in this make any damn sense. At all. Whatsoever.

Reactions: Dawgg

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Mississippi State leaving the SEC is perhaps the worst idea I've ever seen on this board.

The only competition is that one guy that posted that the SEC should admit Boise State for a single season because it would make good TV to see how Boise would fare with a full SEC schedule.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

Lettuce

Oct 16, 2012
You have made multiple predictions/guesses/claims/views. Which is the one you will eventually be right about?
And if someone predicts the end of the world, but it doesnt happen for another thousand years...should they get credit still?
Yes

LocalBeachBum

Dec 8, 2021
I think we need to have some serious discussion with the B team representatives within the next 5-6 years. I don’t see this ending well for programs in our situation…which, not many have a tougher row to hoe than MSU.

It’s tough to garner enough excitement to generate the equal amount of donations to fund the players to compete at the top. It will take a few years but conferences will begin to have juggernauts…talent gap expands because of zero cap.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Joe Biden Falling GIF by GIPHY News

Had to do it. I did not laugh. This is our Commander in Chief until he leaves or is replaced and that is not funny.
It’s either funny and we can make fun like the media has done in the past.

OR

it’s not funny and he shouldn’t be president!

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
It’s either funny and we can make fun like the media has done in the past.

OR

it’s not funny and he shouldn’t be president!
Biden is basically a spring chicken compared to the senator from California (can’t remember her name - but the one being pushed around in a wheel chair now).

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
doesn’t look that bad now, does it?
Yes, it still looks bad. If we went to the Sun Belt or something similar, we might win for a while (but the portal would probably put an end to that), and even if we were to win, you'd never get quality recruits unless they were so poor academically they could't get into a major conference school, and then we'd head to mediocrity in a minor conference. And nobody would go to the games either.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login