Lebby lured a QB

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
You would think after the season we just finished that having, a good backup quarterback would be more important to our fans than it sounds like is. Just amazes me how many experts we have given the state our program is in. Where were these experts last December?

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I guess you guys didn't read the articles about his signing. He jumped on the opportunity before it passed him by. He has 2 years. He played behind a terrible line last year. All ours really needs is a good center and some coaching. We need one or two wr and all we can get on the dl and secondary

Reactions: OopsICroomedmypants

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
You would think after the season we just finished that having, a good backup quarterback would be more important to our fans than it sounds like is. Just amazes me how many experts we have given the state our program is in. Where were these experts last December?
We were scratching heads asking why we were hiring offensive assts and didn't have an OC interested in the position yet, and didn't get one until January 11

Reactions: beachbumdawg

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
This guy is a very good addition. Sure we hope Gabriel signs with us too or if not him another guy that can compete for the job but at least we have a decent one in our hip pocket now.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

patdog

May 28, 2007
I guess you guys didn't read the articles about his signing. He jumped on the opportunity before it passed him by. He has 2 years. He played behind a terrible line last year. All ours really needs is a good center and some coaching. We need one or two wr and all we can get on the dl and secondary
how does he have 2 years left? Played 5 games in 21, then in 22 & 23. Does he get an extra COVID year for 20 even though he didn’t play?

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
how does he have 2 years left? Played 5 games in 21, then in 22 & 23. Does he get an extra COVID year for 20 even though he didn’t play?
Everything I have seen in news articles states "at least 1 year" so he may not get it but seems like he may have a covid year if he chooses. I'm not sure why they would use that term if there wasn't a possibility of another year. But I read that in 3 different reporting. I could be wrong but he RS in 20. Not sure why they say " at least" unless it's his choice

Reactions: patdog

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
This kid isn’t expected to be the starter. There are several ahead of him. He’s being brought in to be the backup.
Nobody's expectations for anything after Lebby was hired has come to fruition. It has been a series of "we promoted who?". Maybe Lebby brings in a Gabriel or DJU, but safe money is this guy is our starter or competes with 1 other meh QB transfer.

I hope to be served crow shortly.

patdog

May 28, 2007
All of you who think we are bringing in a portal QB who is better than this guy have lost your minds.
I would be very surprised if we do. And a little concerned. Already getting the impression Lebby is all offense & defense is an afterthought at best. Signing two P5 starting QBs when we have so many needs everywhere else would only confirm that.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Everything I have seen in news articles states "at least 1 year" so he may not get it but seems like he may have a covid year if he chooses. I'm not sure why they would use that term if there wasn't a possibility of another year. But I read that in 3 different reporting. I could be wrong but he RS in 20. Not sure why they say " at least" unless it's his choice
Or they’re thinking there might be a possibility of the NCAA approving an appeal for an additional year. He only played 4 regular season games in 21 & they wanted to redshirt him. but then had to come in in the Big 12 championship game.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
We were scratching heads asking why we were hiring offensive assts and didn't have an OC interested in the position yet, and didn't get one until January 11
I wonder if our fan base forgot what a difference our record might have been if we had different minds deciding the QBs we would have to rely on. We have more than 11 offensive players for a reason.

Will Rogers.sixpack

Sep 25, 2022
This guy will be the starter. I wish we would have pursued Will to stay if this is all we could get.
You were right. Or at least it’s looking like the case. I am still open to staying, but I don’t feel wanted or appreciated. I guess y’all are going to get what y’all wanted, good luck.

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022
Or they’re thinking there might be a possibility of the NCAA approving an appeal for an additional year. He only played 4 regular season games in 21 & they wanted to redshirt him. but then had to come in in the Big 12 championship game.
He signed with the wrong team if he wanted leniency from the NCAA on eligibility.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Have I missed something? Where is Will going? Last I saw he had slid down to the 15th QB in the portal and his valuation had dropped by $100k. Shapen is #24 in the portal.

Lebby's offense is about getting rid of the ball quickly. It's literally catch the snap and throw, that's not something Will has shown.
That's all Rogers did under Leach.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
That's all Rogers did under Leach.
I'm not a QB evaluator, but have seen every game we've played for the last several years. My impression was Will held on the ball too long, went through too many reads then checked down to a safety valve. It seemed to me too many times he didn't trust himself to fling it downfield quickly. Part of that was Leach's offense, Mike thought there was always a play to be made. Again, I'm certainly not any type of talent evaluator. I'd like for Will to come back to compete.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
He won't be back. WK or USM is his future probably or wash state since ward is moving on. Highly doubt Washington signs him.

Yeah lot of folks saying he's not coming here. But he is visiting next week. I imagine fill court press will be on
Miami is Hosting him this weekend.

KentuckyDawg13

Aug 15, 2006
Yep, dude has wheels and a strong arm. Something that should be default attributes for every MSU QB going forward.
I still think Parson has more talent though.

Dogsincebirth

Sep 29, 2020
This kid isn’t expected to be the starter. There are several ahead of him. He’s being brought in to be the backup.
Why do you post something as fact when you are relying on what some other poster (who, just like you, knows nothing) has posted on a message board? Shapen started and played well at very good football school (Baylor) and is well equipped to be a starter. If the can start at Baylor, then he can start at State. He was recruited to start at State, and if someone else beats him out, then good for us.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Why do you post something as fact when you are relying on what some other poster (who, just like you, knows nothing) has posted on a message board? Shapen started and played well at very good football school (Baylor) and is well equipped to be a starter. If the can start at Baylor, then he can start at State. He was recruited to start at State, and if someone else beats him out, then good for us.
It’s hilarious how one Internet post can be repeated several time and become a fact confirmed by multiple sources. It always seemed more likely to me that we signed Shapen because we were striking out in the really big targets & he was a decent QB we could sign. Sure enough, within hours Gabriel commits to Oregon, even though some of these “in the know” posters said he was on campus at MSU.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
If this is the only portal QB we sign imo that's fine. I would rather had Gabriel but this guy will be in after Christmas break and will learn this system and be ready to go. Parson backing him up and learning as second string. Van Buren coming. Taylor next year. Sounds like a plan to me.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I’m guessing this is what Rosey and Co are spouting? Or insert any other recruitnik? I know what these clowns are doing, they want to be Ole Miss. I mean we already hired the next Lane Kiffin right? And then went and hired the next Pete Golding from Alabama right? And now they want to take 2 QBs out of the portal like Ole Miss did. But the difference is, Sanders was the older guy, Dart was already there, and Howard was a younger guy who was never going to start. Different situation. We already have 2 QBs on the roster, Ole Miss had 1 (not counting incoming freshmen).

But it again, illustrates the small-minded thinking of our fanbase.

Reactions: 85Bears and patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
If this is the only portal QB we sign imo that's fine. I would rather had Gabriel but this guy will be in after Christmas break and will learn this system and be ready to go. Parson backing him up and learning as second string. Van Buren coming. Taylor next year. Sounds like a plan to me.
I’d rather use our remaining NIL money for other more urgent needs. It’d be nice to have a good proven backup QB. But it’d be a lot nicer to have SEC quality players on OL, TE, WR, RB, DB, DL & LB. We need at least one good transfer at every other position. In fact, I’d argue we may be better off signing the Baylor QB relatively cheaply than tying up a big chunk of our NIL money on Gabriel.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Nobody's expectations for anything after Lebby was hired has come to fruition. It has been a series of "we promoted who?". Maybe Lebby brings in a Gabriel or DJU, but safe money is this guy is our starter or competes with 1 other meh QB transfer.

I hope to be served crow shortly.
Cry a little more. Lebby just took a QB who was committed to Oregon. Michael Van Buren...

Reactions: OopsICroomedmypants

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I’d rather use our remaining NIL money for other more urgent needs. It’d be nice to have a good proven backup QB. But it’d be a lot nicer to have SEC quality players on OL, TE, WR, RB, DB, DL & LB. We need at least one good transfer at every other position. In fact, I’d argue we may be better off signing the Baylor QB relatively cheaply than tying up a big chunk of our NIL money on Gabriel.
I think the center and TE position is as good as filled. I'm thinking DB and DL are our next critical needs. I bet one or two of our freshmen WR will be ready to play next year. Plus I just really think we will be better coached all around.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
I think the center and TE position is as good as filled. I'm thinking DB and DL are our next critical needs. I bet one or two of our freshmen WR will be ready to play next year. Plus I just really think we will be better coached all around.
We are going to have Robinson, Mosely, Creed, plus any portal guys. We are going to be ok.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Saw a guy on Facebook say we should move Mike Wright to WR. Might be a good move.

Reactions: Rupert Jenkins
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login