Lemonis has got some tough but inevitable decisions to make....

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
This isn't a bad point, and I've b1tched about it too. I liked Graveman/Stratton types better than the the superstar velo guys who are high profile because they blow up a radar gun.

All that said - we DID win a national title with Will Bednar and Landon Sims.

And the key is not a mix of both. The key is finding a couple guys who can throw hard AND have some dawg in them, along with the Gravemans and Strattons. In the case of 2021, we had MacCleod, Hootie, Johnson and others.

I know, I know. Just that easy, right?
Yes, we did win a natty with Bednar and Sims. But Bednar was the best of both worlds....he could bring it AND he understood how to pitch. Sims was dominant, but he was dominant not only because of his stuff, but because we brought in his stuff behind guys with different stuff. That change-of-pace matters. If everyone were upper 90s fastball/slider guys, we'd be pretty easy to game plan for.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Well, if those are the only types of guys we're looking for, no wonder we're struggling. We should be looking for kids who know how to pitch and have higher ceilings for development too. You want diversity and change of pace in a pitching staff....not just hard throwing strikeout guys. I know he was unique, but a guy like Ross Mitchell comes to mind. Never threw harder than 82, but he knew how to pitch. A lot of guys like that don't even get a look and it drives me crazy.
I loved Ross but he came along at the perfect time for him to be successful, that early era of the BBCOR bats where nobody could hit. They changed the seams on the ball for his last season here and he proceeded to get hit like batting practice.

AlSwearengen2

Nov 29, 2022
Yall should probably pump the brakes on moving C. Smith to the pen. He had a bad outing against ASU. Bednar had a couple of atrocious starts late in the season before turning into a mutant Cy Young in Omaha. One of the games, he was topping out at 90 and couldn’t locate for ****. Turns out his mechanics got out of whack and he was fine the next start.

Smith has been a good pitcher since his freshman season. He may not be a typical dominant Friday night guy, but it isn’t his fault that is the role that he is having to fill.

Reactions: Perd Hapley

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
I
Agree with you there. The baseball tournament is one huge crapshoot.
Its not a crapshoot if you can pitch it like OM did last year. In 11 NCAA tournament games from 2022 OM gave up a TOTAL of 25 runs. The most they gave up in any game was 6 runs and gave up an average of slightly over 2 runs per game. In the CWS they gave up more than 3 runs only once in the 6 games they played. It was the most dominant pitching performance throughout the tourney from one team I've ever seen. That's the reason they won. Their pitchers just all got hot at once. No matter who they threw out there they were effective. Will probably never see anything quite like that again.

Reactions: patdog

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I

Its not a crapshoot if you can pitch it like OM did last year. In 11 NCAA tournament games from 2022 OM gave up a TOTAL of 25 runs. The most they gave up in any game was 6 runs and gave up an average of slightly over 2 runs per game. In the CWS they gave up more than 3 runs only once in the 6 games they played. It was the most dominant pitching performance throughout the tourney from one team I've ever seen. That's the reason they won. Their pitchers just all got hot at once. No matter who they threw out there they were effective. Will probably never see anything quite like that again.

But they weren’t nearly that good in the regular season. Hence, they got hot at the right time. Its always won by a team that gets hot some way or another. No matter how good you are, you absolutely cannot win it all if you aren’t playing your best baseball of the season in June.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I

And compare that to how their pitchers looked the first half or 2/3s of the season.

Tall Dawg

Apr 11, 2016
This isn't a bad point, and I've b1tched about it too. I liked Graveman/Stratton types better than the the superstar velo guys who are high profile because they blow up a radar gun.

All that said - we DID win a national title with Will Bednar and Landon Sims.

And the key is not a mix of both. The key is finding a couple guys who can throw hard AND have some dawg in them, along with the Gravemans and Strattons. In the case of 2021, we had MacCleod, Hootie, Johnson and others.

I know, I know. Just that easy, right?
What’s SPS’s take on Clark?
He’s hitting below 200 and although he can hit a ball a long way at times, to me he’s got to move his average up as we have several guys who can go deep.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
What’s SPS’s take on Clark?
He’s hitting below 200 and although he can hit a ball a long way at times, to me he’s got to move his average up as we have several guys who can go deep.
You make him, Hines and Chance battle it out for the RF/DH roll. I would throw Hujsak into that mix as well, but he must look like **** in practice or be in the doghouse because he’s looked good in limited time

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
Clark was a hero in Omaha but has struggled since. When he gets ahold of one he murders the baseball but the rub there is when. He is way too inconsistent. He hit .237 in limited action in '21 and .257 in '22. That is almost 20 points less than Lane Forsythe although he did have a much higher slugging percentage.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Yeah I was thinking the same. I don't know of any of Foxhall's guys that sucked in college and then just 'made it' in the minors. Cerantola and Fristoe are the only possibles. I don't count MacCleod against him, because he made a jump in 2020, and was still our Friday guy throughout a NATIONAL TITLE season.

Foxhall was fine until last year, and was likely fine until Sims, Simmons and Auger got hurt. Now everybody is latching onto Cade Smith and K.C. Hunt like they are indicative of the entire body of work.

I'm not saying I love Foxhall or anything, just want some facts out there.

And by the way, it's a combination of the 2020 and 2021 pitching classes that is getting us, not the 2022 class. The 2022 guys are the current elite freshmen.
59 walks in 9 games and 10 batters hbp pretty much sum up the "facts" this season. That's 69 extra base runners given a free pass so far so avg of 7+ free runners per game.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
59 walks in 9 games and 10 batters hbp pretty much sum up the "facts" this season. That's 69 extra base runners given a free pass so far so avg of 7+ free runners per game.
Don't forget the 16 charged errors and probably that many more plays that should have been made but were not charged.

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login