Lemonis officially back

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
I’m hopeful that a top level pitching coach and some arms will get us back on track. I’ve gotten pissed off at the ineptitude of the past 2 seasons and wanted everybody gone. But, I am on board with this….

Foxhall was an unmitigated disaster with any pitcher he brought in, and even with some that he didn’t. I don’t know that Lemonis was on the hook for that, outside of firing him when it was obvious that he had to. You have to trust your assistant coaches, and Foxhall couldn’t be trusted.

Lemonis has been adaptable and not averse to change. He’s also anything but a meddler. Like the article said, he’s won 300 games, and that’s not too shabby.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Gross. “The plan”. What a joke.

Zac Selmons unwillingness to do the obvious should terrify everyone regardless of which sports you love the most
Ed Orgeron had a great plan for Mississippi football. Even had it on PowerPoint and everything.

• Haha
Reactions: peewee.sixpack

preacher_dawg

Nov 12, 2014

Eleven Bravo

Aug 31, 2018
I’m pretty confident in saying that Lemonis being back has pretty much been official for a couple of weeks now.

Reactions: onewoof

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
Gross. “The plan”. What a joke.

Zac Selmons unwillingness to do the obvious should terrify everyone regardless of which sports you love the most
that's what I'm thinking. anytime you have to come up with a "plan" it never ends well. it means whatever he thinks he knows about coaching baseball doesn't work. he's buying time. period. we'll be talking about these same things next year.

LocalBeachBum

Dec 8, 2021
As long as the plan is “get a SEC tournament win and go to Omaha or I quit”, I’m good with it.

Curby

Aug 23, 2012
Lemonis has lost it. I don’t see him getting this back anywhere near where it was. Fast forward a year from now, I think at best we are back in Hoover (barely). How sad that this is the new benchmark for the program.

Regardless of who the new pitching coach is, there are several dead weight individuals on this team that Lem doesn’t have the stones to send packing.

1msucub

Oct 3, 2004
I gotta be honest….I genuinely believe that this is the wrong move. My reasoning is very simple: we were absolutely awful at nearly EVERY aspect of the game, and we have two years of data to draw from.

Firing a pitching coach doesn’t fix that. It HAD to be done, but it only addresses one problem of many.

I hope we revisit this thread exactly one year from today and I’m proven to be wrong, but I seriously doubt we will.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
Everyone has a plan - until they get hit in the mouth.
Well we’ve taken two big time shots the last two years.
At this point, we’re wobbly and looking at the corner for some help, ~~ and they ain’t none!
1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,…

patdog

May 28, 2007
I gotta be honest….I genuinely believe that this is the wrong move. My reasoning is very simple: we were absolutely awful at nearly EVERY aspect of the game, and we have two years of data to draw from.

Firing a pitching coach doesn’t fix that. It HAD to be done, but it only addresses one problem of many.

I hope we revisit this thread exactly one year from today and I’m proven to be wrong, but I seriously doubt we will.
Regardless of the pitching coach, we need massive portal transfers both in and out, and the transfers in have to be good ones. If you don't fire him now, you almost have to give him 2 years because this won't be a quick fix. And we're not giving him 2 years to fix it, so most likely, we're just postponing the inevitable by a year.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I hope whatever plan Lemonis has includes taking whatever NIL money we have and spending it on the best 3 or 4 pitchers in the portal.

Reactions: Msuirondawgs

bully12

Sep 2, 2012

The use of the word "execution" of "the plan" brings me back to the late great John McKay, former legendary coach at USCw who migrated to coach the Tampa Bay Bucs in that teams early salad days. After one particularly horrendous performance, coach McKay was asked by a reporter about the execution of his team. Coach McKay replied: "I'm all for it!" So, I'm all for the execution of "the plan"; I just have very little confidence in the ability of this staff to execute anything other than themselves.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I'm out. I'll be back when it looks like we are back to being the MSU Baseball program that made me fall in love with the whole place and other sports. We used to have a swagger. Even when we lost, you could see it in their eyes...We're coming back, and we won't lose when we do.

I expect to be gone until we announce a new coach. This "plan" should have happened last year. The fact that we can swallow back-to-back seasons like this tells me a lot about the spine of our new athletic program. You all love to piss on his name, but the IB John Cohen would have shown bucket man the door. Chew on that.

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
Sounds like Lemonis is just blowing smoke up the rookie Selmon's arse with the "plan". The "plan" is for Lemonis to have another year to find a new job. Shopping around like Mullen, probably not, but there will be some calls made from the bucket.

Reactions: patdog

msstatelp1

Aug 21, 2012
This wasn't Selmon's decision alone. AD's don't operate in a vacuum. They don't have the ability to arbitrarily hire or fire any coach. If Keenum and the money boys wanted Lemonis gone, he'd be gone. They apparently didn't so he's still here.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
This wasn't Selmon's decision alone at all. AD's don't operate in a vacuum. They don't have the ability to arbitrarily hire or fire any coach. If Keenum and the money boys wanted Lemonis gone, he'd be gone. They apparently didn't so he's still here.

Exactly….but I fixed it for you. Selmon’s job is to gauge potential interest on candidates….behind the scenes if necessary….and report back that information back to the people who can make the decision. Beyond that, he has to make all his public statements present stability for the benefits of recruiting, retention, and the pitching coach search. That’s all he can do.

Not sure what people expected here.

“Well, the school president and donors weren’t quite on board yet with paying $4 million more in buyout money to fire a national title coach…..for a sport that loses money every year and is completely dwarfed in national importance by 2 other sports that we also have to keep stable. A big part of that is we also didn’t have much confirmed interest from replacement candidates beyond a few assistants and mid-major head coaches. So, here we are. May still fire him in a few weeks if things start to trend negatively in the portal and we can’t get a pitching coach…..we’ll see.”

Would that have made people feel better?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login