Let's discuss something

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I'm seeing lots of mechanic shops, tire stores, etc. where they're knocking off at noon because "it's too hot". I work in my shop every day almost. I spend 8 hours a day plus in it a lot. It's hot, I'm apparently not the weak level of poosie these professionals are. I drink water, sometimes beer, eat a protein bar, and carry on. How the hell is it suddenly too hot for grown *** men to work?

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
I'm seeing lots of mechanic shops, tire stores, etc. where they're knocking off at noon because "it's too hot". I work in my shop every day almost. I spend 8 hours a day plus in it a lot. It's hot, I'm apparently not the weak level of poosie these professionals are. I drink water, sometimes beer, eat a protein bar, and carry on. How the hell is it suddenly too hot for grown *** men to work?
HR told me we need to allow people to take extra breaks right now because of the excessive heat…I told her we have air conditioning. “Well, we need to be careful.” I just stared at her.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
The younger generation didn’t grow up walking to school uphill both ways and in the snow***

Being serious, I have not seen a mechanic shop or tire shop closing at noon. I just had my oil changed the other day a little after 5 pm. Have you physically seen these shops closed or is this based on a Facebook post?

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
8,000 trucks in our fleet and we have to immediately down anything when the A/C isn’t working.

We have people literally ok with missing checks because they don’t have a truck to drive since their air is broken.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I would say its either one of two things:

1) You live in bum17 nowhere, there’s only 1 or 2 quick lube places within 30 miles of you, and thus those shops can get away with that due to lack of any competition.

2) Whatever places doing it are just a front for money laundering.

In anything remotely resembling an urban development (even by Mississippi standards) - no such operation could stay open for very long….unless its that 2nd thing.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
The younger generation didn’t grow up walking to school uphill both ways and in the snow***

Being serious, I have not seen a mechanic shop or tire shop closing at noon. I just had my oil changed the other day a little after 5 pm. Have you physically seen these shops closed or is this based on a Facebook post?
I've been to three in the last two weeks that closed at noon or so due to heat. Called a shop today to see about some work and they said the same.
My mom went to get some tires today, she was told same. It's a damn epidemic. I'll be honest, I work better in the heat now. I get tired and it keeps me from throwing **** or busting my hands punching stuff lol. I do have a big fan and a radio and speakers in my tool box, so I'm not totally immune I guess.
Got a guy I see at church sometimes who has a shop. Said he's got more work than he can handle, and followed that up with "And I'm only working half days because it's hot".

Reactions: retire the banner

Big Dawg81

Oct 7, 2019
I work in a shop that doesn’t have A/C and where I work in the shop doesn’t have any airflow. It has been a couple days that I thought about dragging up because it so hot

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
The old saying went sometime like this. Hard times creates tough people, tough people create good times, good times creates soft people, soft people create hard times, and the circle starts over again. I was almost 30 before I ever had a car with air conditioning and had no idea that it was too hot to work or go fishing. However, now that I am classified as a senior citizen, I get out early for outside work and then by about 11:00am I am done for the day. Part of me wants to do the things I used to do in the summer and the other part of me has to admit that I just can’t safely do it anymore. My wife got way too hot at the LSU game last fall, ended up with serious blood clots in both Lungs and is very lucky to still be here.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I've been to three in the last two weeks that closed at noon or so due to heat. Called a shop today to see about some work and they said the same.
My mom went to get some tires today, she was told same. It's a damn epidemic. I'll be honest, I work better in the heat now. I get tired and it keeps me from throwing **** or busting my hands punching stuff lol. I do have a big fan and a radio and speakers in my tool box, so I'm not totally immune I guess.
Got a guy I see at church sometimes who has a shop. Said he's got more work than he can handle, and followed that up with "And I'm only working half days because it's hot".
I was mainly joking with you…. I have not encountered this but other than an oil change a few days ago, I have not had a need to visit this type of business.

I’m sure most business owners that are making the decision to shut down during the heat of the day are doing so in an effort to retain employees. I guess better to work half days and feel confident you got employees than push them and they don't show up. And I’m not saying I agree with that, just saying I bet this is a factor. With fans, there is a way to stay safe and keep things tolerable in a shop.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Lack of common sense and overly punitive court systems.
It's actually really hard to win even a merited lawsuit these days, and next to impossible to win one without merit. Workmans comp is probably a bigger threat for this than lawsuits. And their insurers.

They do tend to shine a spotlight on dumb practices though. I imagine the one higher up with a brain (there's usually only one) would be against shutting down, but walked the floor and saw all the dumb crap that these workers do now (wrong clothes for heat, drink energy drinks all day, eat heavy lunches, etc), and changed their mind.

patdog

May 28, 2007
OSHA has now issued a proposed heat rule. The threshold can be temperature or humidity.

As someone who works in it all day every day I’ll just say that people now are just pu$$ies.
You can work in the heat and be careful about it.
They’re going to put a lot of shops out of business with thise rules. I’ve seen it with the company that replaced my water heater in the summer a few years ago. They only worked in the attic in the morning. Which makes perfect sense. But 80 degrees in a tire shop? That’s ridiculous. Back in the day we were all acclimated ti the heat. Even now, I get out several days a week and get some activity to keep somewhat acclimated. Today was just a 2-mile walk, but some days I play tennis or run. If you’re not acclimated, it is dangerous.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Where is this?
I can say I haven't seen it happen around me- it's been in the high 80s to mid 90s for weeks now, with a feels like in the high 90s and into the 100s.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
8,000 trucks in our fleet and we have to immediately down anything when the A/C isn’t working.

We have people literally ok with missing checks because they don’t have a truck to drive since their air is broken.
I will say that these new trucks and even tractors are a miserable experience if the AC isn’t working. They aren’t designed to create airflow without the AC running and they have tons of window surface that’s like a greenhouse.

skipperDawg

Dec 23, 2023
Damn
You some hard working, no conditioning air M17er’s
And to think I thought over 74% of six packers were obese, beer swilling, pool shooting, big *** tv watchers, on the couch in your front yard under the oak trees

Give me my cushy job every day

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I worked 5 summers in construction in Mississippi. The worst was when it rained, but not long enough to rain us out. When the sun came out.....it was hot. It was especially bad when we had the slab in but didn't have a roof up yet. It did confirm my ambition to go into a field that allowed me to work Inside in the AC. 😜

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I'm also concerned about the number of people of all ages that will miss a check or few days pay.

Folks of my age will push an old lady down some stairs before missing an hour's pay, employees today will miss a week's pay to go on vacation.

I have no intention of a nursing home or needing long term medical care, but for you guys paying LTC insurance and expecting to peacefully live out your latter years getting care from a low paid/low skilled health care worker, it's going to be rough.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I work in a shop that doesn’t have A/C and where I work in the shop doesn’t have any airflow. It has been a couple days that I thought about dragging up because it so hot
But you keep rolling along. It's hot but it's always hot in the summer. I still drink out the damn water hose sometimes. But I love it!

Reactions: Pilgrimdawg

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I worked 5 summers in construction in Mississippi. The worst was when it rained, but not long enough to rain us out. When the sun came out.....it was hot. It was especially bad when we had the slab in but didn't have a roof up yet. It did confirm my ambition to go into a field that allowed me to work Inside in the AC. 😜
There is nothing worse than a rain shower that doesn’t rain you out and it’s hot. Instant sauna.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Where is this?
I can say I haven't seen it happen around me- it's been in the high 80s to mid 90s for weeks now, with a feels like in the high 90s and into the 100s.
South MS and Hattiesburg area
It's rained half the days the last week.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I'm also concerned about the number of people of all ages that will miss a check or few days pay.

Folks of my age will push an old lady down some stairs before missing an hour's pay, employees today will miss a week's pay to go on vacation.

I have no intention of a nursing home or needing long term medical care, but for you guys paying LTC insurance and expecting to peacefully live out your latter years getting care from a low paid/low skilled health care worker, it's going to be rough.
If someone is working and doesn't have pto/vacation benefits, are you really expecting them to never go on a vacation and experience a trip or relax and recharge?

Seems like an odd thing to criticize. Maybe criticize companies that could offer pto/vacation and choose not to.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I will say that these new trucks and even tractors are a miserable experience if the AC isn’t working. They aren’t designed to create airflow without the AC running and they have tons of window surface that’s like a greenhouse.
I won't lie, I love bush hogging and cutting grass. Got three tractors (one cabbed for hay cutting) and prefer no cab unless it's raining some. I know you're out there more than me, so props.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I remember seeing my cousin work in his blacksmith shop when I was young in Amory. I don't remember ever seeing him shutting down because it was too hot.

trob115

Jul 5, 2011
Brand new combine we got last year was delivered with a faulty air conditioner and the dang compressor was faulty.. You couldn't stand it more than 10ish minutes inside the cab trying to cut corn. Temps were approaching 125 with the door open.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
If someone is working and doesn't have pto/vacation benefits, are you really expecting them to never go on a vacation and experience a trip or relax and recharge?

Seems like an odd thing to criticize. Maybe criticize companies that could offer pto/vacation and choose not to.
No, this are folks who earn plenty of leave and blow it foolishly (sick and regular). They'll be in the hole, then scheduled a week in 30A.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Brand new combine we got last year was delivered with a faulty air conditioner and the dang compressor was faulty.. You couldn't stand it more than 10ish minutes inside the cab trying to cut corn. Temps were approaching 125 with the door open.
We got some tractors that we had ordered at the beginning of Covid that ended up being made while Case workers were on strike. That was an epic mistake. There was so much stuff wrong with them. Hoses and wires not routed right and rubbing against each other causes all kinds of issues. It’s been a mess.

Oct 7, 2022
Case 2590 was the only one in the old days you could get away with that ****. You just rip off the doors. Even the old Deere models in the late 70s/80s you couldn’t do that with. Too much “glass” as you say. The 2590 was the last great open air roof tractor made.

Now days, forget it. Go get some ford, kubota, mahindra, deere yard tractor with a roof. Computers and dust don’t mix. I hate corporate America.

Reactions: dorndawg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login