Let's discuss something

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Case 2590 was the only one in the old days you could get away with that ****. You just rip off the doors. Even the old Deere models in the late 70s/80s you couldn’t do that with. Too much “glass” as you say. The 2590 was the last great open air roof tractor made.

Now days, forget it. Go get some ford, kubota, mahindra, deere yard tractor with a roof. Computers and dust don’t mix. I hate corporate America.
International 1086 had doors on both sides and they opened all the way to the hood. You could strap a bungee cord to keep them open or take them completely off and all the windows opened.

We had some of the 94 series Case tractors (3394 and 2394). Had the one door design but all the windows would open to allow airflow if the AC went out. All these new tractors just have a back glass that barely opens.

Last edited:

Grove Sh.tter

Sep 30, 2022
I had 4 guys go down on a construction project from heat exhaustion and cramping july 3. All 4 threw up before noon. These guys are bt 19-26. I'm 45 and kept grinding.

I've been puzzled over this. These aren't wimpy nancies. One was a firefighter and one was a soldier stationed in el Paso, where it's legit hot. They're all in good shape and don't drink alcohol (except for 1). They also hydrate constantly.

I don't think they're poons.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
I won't lie, I love bush hogging and cutting grass. Got three tractors (one cabbed for hay cutting) and prefer no cab unless it's raining some. I know you're out there more than me, so props.
Nothing better for the soul than summer bush hogging. No cab, roof, or air on my tractor. Put on my big straw hat and just keep turning left. It gives you time to think and relax. Plus it will sweat all of your demons out. Even when you go early in the AM and quit before lunch.

Big Dawg81

Oct 7, 2019
But you keep rolling along. It's hot but it's always hot in the summer. I still drink out the damn water hose sometimes. But I love it!
I got too. I work right outside of Baton Rouge. It was 97 and felt like 110 with humidity. I swear I go to Mississippi to cool off.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Got a guy I see at church sometimes who has a shop. Said he's got more work than he can handle, and followed that up with "And I'm only working half days because it's hot".
Hence the reason he's got" more work than he can handle", because his azz is only working part time!

I've done a little bit of everything in my 45+ yr work career and 2 of those things you DON'T want to be doing this time of year
1. Insulating attics
2. Sandblasting inside fuel or oil tanks, both of those I did in my younger years and that helped me decide to go get an edjacashun**
I don't want to hear how hot it is inside a regular building until someone has been in one of those 2 places to work for any period of time

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Nothing better for the soul than summer bush hogging. No cab, roof, or air on my tractor. Put on my big straw hat and just keep turning left. It gives you time to think and relax. Plus it will sweat all of your demons out. Even when you go early in the AM and quit before lunch.
It cleanses the soul! Answer me this, why is the steering wheel on an open station tractor black? Mine was so hot the other day and I’d forgotten my gloves that I couldn’t even hold onto it.

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
I had 4 guys go down on a construction project from heat exhaustion and cramping july 3. All 4 threw up before noon. These guys are bt 19-26. I'm 45 and kept grinding.
I think its like Patdog said earlier. Its about being acclimated and a lot of young people aren't outside all summer like we (I'll be 58 in less than a month) were. I grew up in air conditioning but every summer, there wasn't a day where I wasn't outside playing as a kid or working/playing as a teen. I now have a nice, cushy, air-conditioned desk job but to stay acclimated, I'll go out and push-mow my yard at 2pm on a Saturday.

Here is my 'old man yells at clouds' story. I'm part of the civil war artillery reenactment group out of Starkville. Before every reenactment they usually have 'school days' on Thursday and/or Fridays where local schools send students out to see how things worked during the war. In 2012 we were about to do the 150th anniversary of the Battle of Iuka so they bussed out a bunch of kids. What the kids got to see was Jefferson Davis giving a presentation under his tarp in the shade followed by Lincoln in the shade under his tarp and finally a presentation by a Union infantryman under his tarp. Then they came out into the sun to learn about artillery and watch us fire a few rounds. The heat index was 108 and we were all wearing heavy wool uniforms while the students were in shorts and tshirts. I was one of the youngest on the gun and we were all fat and out of shape but went through our presentations all day. Meanwhile, there was literally a line of ambulances coming and going picking up students who had passed out. I remember thinking "If just standing out here for 15 minutes in shorts and a tshirt got you, you aint got no chance when 2-a-days hit in August boy"

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
It cleanses the soul! Answer me this, why is the steering wheel on an open station tractor black? Mine was so hot the other day and I’d forgotten my gloves that I couldn’t even hold onto it.
Great question! Probably designed by some city slicker engineer that has never been on a tractor. Mine is the same way. LOL.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I never took a class in an air conditioned classroom until I got to State. I didn’t own an Air Conditioned vehicle until I was 26-27 years old. I worked 34 years in an non air conditioned environment. I’ve done my share of acclimating, give me that conditioned air!

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
I never took a class in an air conditioned classroom until I got to State. I didn’t own an Air Conditioned vehicle until I was 26-27 years old. I worked 34 years in an non air conditioned environment. I’ve done my share of acclimating, give me that conditioned air!
9th grade, Mt. Olive in south Mississippi, late August, Algebra I, senile teacher, no A/C, no fan, windows open, re-tarring the roof = HELL ON EARTH!
I remember seeing on the national news one night during that time that St. Louis city schools had cancelled classes the rest of the week because the temperature there reached 90 degrees for 3 straight days. I lost my s.h.i.t. as much as an 9th grader can lose their s.h.i.t.

Reactions: patdog

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
I think its like Patdog said earlier. Its about being acclimated and a lot of young people aren't outside all summer like we (I'll be 58 in less than a month) were. I grew up in air conditioning but every summer, there wasn't a day where I wasn't outside playing as a kid or working/playing as a teen. I now have a nice, cushy, air-conditioned desk job but to stay acclimated, I'll go out and push-mow my yard at 2pm on a Saturday.

Here is my 'old man yells at clouds' story. I'm part of the civil war artillery reenactment group out of Starkville. Before every reenactment they usually have 'school days' on Thursday and/or Fridays where local schools send students out to see how things worked during the war. In 2012 we were about to do the 150th anniversary of the Battle of Iuka so they bussed out a bunch of kids. What the kids got to see was Jefferson Davis giving a presentation under his tarp in the shade followed by Lincoln in the shade under his tarp and finally a presentation by a Union infantryman under his tarp. Then they came out into the sun to learn about artillery and watch us fire a few rounds. The heat index was 108 and we were all wearing heavy wool uniforms while the students were in shorts and tshirts. I was one of the youngest on the gun and we were all fat and out of shape but went through our presentations all day. Meanwhile, there was literally a line of ambulances coming and going picking up students who had passed out. I remember thinking "If just standing out here for 15 minutes in shorts and a tshirt got you, you aint got no chance when 2-a-days hit in August boy"
Biology is a hell of a thing. The body acclimates to heat in amazing ways. Body hair changes, the body keeps more water for when it needs to sweat, sweating changes to be more efficient, heart rate slows, circulation changes especially around the skin, and a thousand more probably. Muscular fitness is just not the same thing.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Biology is a hell of a thing. The body acclimates to heat in amazing ways. Body hair changes, the body keeps more water for when it needs to sweat, sweating changes to be more efficient, heart rate slows, circulation changes especially around the skin, and a thousand more probably. Muscular fitness is just not the same thing.
I’m reading this and only thinking about how much we need to add BYU back to the football schedule.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008

I've been puzzled over this. These aren't wimpy nancies. One was a firefighter and one was a soldier stationed in el Paso, where it's legit hot. They're all in good shape and don't drink alcohol (except for 1). They also hydrate constantly.

I don't think they're poons.

They probably had the shot and a booster...

🤣🤣🤣😂🤣😂

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
June was the second hottest June in history (according to somebody). People worked through that hottest one.

mike tice

Sep 30, 2022
I'm seeing lots of mechanic shops, tire stores, etc. where they're knocking off at noon because "it's too hot". I work in my shop every day almost. I spend 8 hours a day plus in it a lot. It's hot, I'm apparently not the weak level of poosie these professionals are. I drink water, sometimes beer, eat a protein bar, and carry on. How the hell is it suddenly too hot for grown *** men to work?
sometimes beer? Are you in Germany? Seriously what do u do that allows such? Asking for a friend

Last edited:

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
It’s absolutely a thing, we do it all the time on a tin roof and it absolutely changed things

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
I'm also concerned about the number of people of all ages that will miss a check or few days pay.

Folks of my age will push an old lady down some stairs before missing an hour's pay, employees today will miss a week's pay to go on vacation.

I have no intention of a nursing home or needing long term medical care, but for you guys paying LTC insurance and expecting to peacefully live out your latter years getting care from a low paid/low skilled health care worker, it's going to be rough.
I am encouraged by their behavior, money does not make a life. I worked myself almost to death the summer of ‘93. I ended up in the hospital for weeks. I went from 185 to 135 in less than a month, got dehydrated and almost died of pneumonia. I have not been the same since.
Wish I had said, hell no to all those 12 hour days in the heat. I was too greedy.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I am encouraged by their behavior, money does not make a life. I worked myself almost to death the summer of ‘93. I ended up in the hospital for weeks. I went from 185 to 135 in less than a month, got dehydrated and almost died of pneumonia. I have not been the same since.
Wish I had said, hell no to all those 12 hour days in the heat. I was too greedy.
My situation, we talking about folks working behind desks in Air Conditioning for 40 hrs/week.

Pookieray

Oct 14, 2012
If you expect people to sit in a truck with no air, then you are the problem.
I drive a truck, it is my own, but I ain't going nowhere if my air ain't working. I gets very hot in those things even when the air is working. And I still get out in my yard or shop and work in this heat if I got to get something done but I ain't getting that wheel till I fix the A/C and I grew up in a home without it!

Reactions: Hot Rock

Pookieray

Oct 14, 2012
Hernando High school didn't have A/C when I was in school either.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I'm seeing lots of mechanic shops, tire stores, etc. where they're knocking off at noon because "it's too hot". I work in my shop every day almost. I spend 8 hours a day plus in it a lot. It's hot, I'm apparently not the weak level of poosie these professionals are. I drink water, sometimes beer, eat a protein bar, and carry on. How the hell is it suddenly too hot for grown *** men to work?
Too hot for the store owner to risk being sued if someone gets heat exhaustion is my bet. Has to be litigation related. At mechanics rates I can’t imagine a scenario where it wouldn’t make sense to have some effective climate control in place.

Last edited:

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
OSHA has now issued a proposed heat rule. The threshold can be temperature or humidity.

As someone who works in it all day every day I’ll just say that people now are just pu$$ies.
You can work in the heat and be careful about it.
I always wore long pants and sleeves because once they got sweated in any little breeze cooled me. Also ate my sammich in the truck because it sucked to go inside for 30 minutes of cool and then get right back into the heat.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
9th grade, Mt. Olive in south Mississippi, late August, Algebra I, senile teacher, no A/C, no fan, windows open, re-tarring the roof = HELL ON EARTH!
I remember seeing on the national news one night during that time that St. Louis city schools had cancelled classes the rest of the week because the temperature there reached 90 degrees for 3 straight days. I lost my s.h.i.t. as much as an 9th grader can lose their s.h.i.t.
Was it the school windows that pulled down about 45 degrees max, if you hung on them, and offered no practical relief? That’s what we had.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Yeah i’m with you. 1 day in however many years ? I mean it’s like the senator that brought the snowball in the chamber to make a point.
Two things:

1) those temps were measured with thermometers, same as today

2) those are point in time highs and say nothing about trends or averages

Yet here we are where it’s a political point not to believe in thermometers

mike tice

Sep 30, 2022

Two things:

1) those temps were measured with thermometers, same as today

2) those are point in time highs and say nothing about trends or averages

Yet here we are where it’s a political point not to believe in thermometers
Man I'm having trouble deciding if you agree or disagree.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login