Let's face it

HailStateTate

Oct 30, 2020
As much as some of us are ready (myself included) to move on from Rogers, he is going to the be the starting QB at MSU in the fall.

We can drool over the thoughts of a QB from the portal or talk ourselves into Robertson or Parson being ready, but Will is still going to be QB1. There's no way a big time portal QB would ever want to come in to compete with a record breaking 3 year starter.

Leach is not going to move on from a guy that he is comfortable with. Will Rogers will be the starting QB for Mississippi State in 2023, and probably 2024 as well.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Leach will play the best quarterback he has. At present, a record setting Rogers is it. If someone beats him out they are going to be good. Based on how our 2nd stringer looked in limited action, he isn't ready. I would also like for our down with Rogers fans to compare Robertson's performance at this stage of his career to what Will looked like at the same stage. Night and day. The guy who can beat out Will may be on the bench or in the portal on the way, but until he beats him out, he won't play. Anybody who thinks Leach does anything other than play the best person is having flashbacks to Mullen and his affinity for prioritizing tenure.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
As much as some of us are ready (myself included) to move on from Rogers, he is going to the be the starting QB at MSU in the fall.

We can drool over the thoughts of a QB from the portal or talk ourselves into Robertson or Parson being ready, but Will is still going to be QB1. There's no way a big time portal QB would ever want to come in to compete with a record breaking 3 year starter.

Leach is not going to move on from a guy that he is comfortable with. Will Rogers will be the starting QB for Mississippi State in 2023, and probably 2024 as well.

rachel dratch television GIF by Saturday Night Live

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Top 10 total passing yards (#8 with 3,713)
Top 10 passing TDs ( #7 with 34)
Top 15 completion percentage (#12 with .682)
Top 20 Redzone offense (#16 with .904 efficiency)

While Hooker and Young both had good seasons, I think Will's numbers are better than other SEC QBs and he will improve next year in areas he needs to improve in

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I think 2024 is up in the air, 5 years is a long time to start at QB in the SEC, and Will may be ready to move on. That career passing record isn’t looking like as much of a certainty either after this past season. He’ll need to get back on pace to where he was in 2021 to get there, and I don’t know if that would be the best thing for our offense.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
It might change of course but Will has stated that after next year he is moving on. My beliefs are that it's up to Sawyer to beat him out. I think he will be given every chance to do that between spring and fall. Sawyer would be okay if he played a few games, just my guess here. I fully expect Will to be a graduate assistant. I also think the only way we sign a portal QB is if it is one that's too good to pass up, a sure fire starter.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I think 2024 is up in the air, 5 years is a long time to start at QB in the SEC, and Will may be ready to move on. That career passing record isn’t looking like as much of a certainty either after this past season. He’ll need to get back on pace to where he was in 2021 to get there, and I don’t know if that would be the best thing for our offense.
I tend to see it the same way. I think he'll be ready to move on by then. Either he makes a big jump and gets drafted, or he will transfer/get into coaching or something. I think another year like this one and the divisiveness will get a little too high.

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
Our QB position is not just plug and play. It takes a while to do what is called for.

And you throw enough passes, there will be glitches, that is just the passing game.
(how many int's did Prescot have yesterday?)

OB is not really our problem.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018

I have no problem with Will Rogers being the QB.

He has to improve his read and continue to grow down field.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Our QB position is not just plug and play. It takes a while to do what is called for.

And you throw enough passes, there will be glitches, that is just the passing game.
(how many int's did Prescot have yesterday?)

OB is not really our problem.
It actually is plug and play after the first 3-4 years. That's been the pattern at both Texas Tech and Washington State.

And right now, QB is definitely a problem. Maybe not the only problem, but it is one. But for some reason, I actually do expect Rogers to be better next year. Ibdancin said it best above, needs to get the pocket presence better. He's never going to be fast and durable. I mean he can't even grow a whole beard yet.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: The Fatboy

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
I disagree strongly. QB is our problem. Will

1. Holds on to the ball too long
2. Is not adequate enough to throw a receiver open (even on swings and intermediates he throws behind his receiver far too often)
3. lacks mobility
4. lacks strength

He also seemed to have a lot less pocket presence than he did the previous year. He's not a awful, but HE'S GOT TO GET BETTER.

If we get better QB play we easily win 10 games next season.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
He also seemed to have a lot less pocket presence than he did the previous year. He's not a awful, but HE'S GOT TO GET BETTER.
Agree with you, but just want to interject that Cross may have played a big part in that. I do think with 3 6th year players on the OL next year, we'll be pretty good. And then 2 more 5th year players in Lasoya and Jones. And don't forget we have Grant Jackson, Percy Lewis and Albert Reese backing those guys up.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

1. Holds on to the ball too long - sometimes
2. Is not adequate enough to throw a receiver open (even on swings and intermediates he throws behind his receiver far too often) -not often from what I see
3. lacks mobility -true, not quick, and generally unwilling to run
4. lacks strength -I don't see this

He also seemed to have a lot less pocket presence than he did the previous year.(late season his internal timer seemed to be broken at times) He's not a awful, but HE'S GOT TO GET BETTER.

If we get better QB play we easily win 10 games next season. -It is still funny/ironic to me that we have a literal record setting SEC QB and we bash him.
1670259226168.png

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Even if a different QB had a lower passing % (but acceptable) than Will but could stretch the field more and take off and run some we'd be looking at a NY6 Bowl this year. When Will and our offense struggles it's like we're playing with 9 because of Will's lack of physicality, athleticism and mobility. I'm pretty confident somebody on the bench is gonna learn how to adjust to the speed of the college game and create some QB Competition which is what we haven't had that we desperately need. And until that happens wanting Will Benched is ridiculous and futile.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018

1. Holds on to the ball too long
2. Is not adequate enough to throw a receiver open (even on swings and intermediates he throws behind his receiver far too often)
3. lacks mobility
4. lacks strength

If we get better QB play we easily win 10 games next season.
#1 and #2 is not really true.

3- he evaded more sacks this year than last and actually made some plays with his legs. No, he is not a running QB/ Scrambler. Knowing that makes him have to work harder to see the defense.

4- Yeah... he's not a tower of power.

No QB will be perfect. Dak wasn't and isn't.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login