Let's review....

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
We travel cross country to play a P5 team on the road.

We kick off at 10 pm our time.

We look like it. Sloppy, too many turnovers, too many penalties.

We still won and covered. All our mistakes are correctable.

We're gonna be fine.

Sep 12, 2013
I’m A ok with this result. The TOs are annoying, but definitely fixable.

Like I said in the game thread, you can’t tell me the late time slot for these guys wasn’t a factor, and they still persevered.

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
Agreed. I’m not concerned. You could tell we lacked concentration. That could mostly be due to the awful start time. That start time never should have been in play for this game.

Even with a few mistakes and Arizona getting very lucky, we beat them by multiple touchdowns.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Yeah that was planned to try to give pac 12 a win. Force team from sec to play late late. Then give calls to pac 12 team.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009

We're gonna be fine.

Agreed. Pretty sloppy game but overall I think you gotta be happy with the result.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
We gave them 10 of their points on turnovers, or it's ugly. Time to beat that tiger *** *****!

Last edited:

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
I'll take it

We're gonna be fine.

Decent outcome from a C+/B- performance. Something to be said for having a floor that doesn't get you an L there. I'll take the road W.

HamSammich

Nov 9, 2016
Not to mention the last fumble the receivers head was literally being wrenched off when he got hit.

Calvin’s fumble, yea that was just bad.

Scottfield1

Nov 21, 2013
Yeah that was planned to try to give pac 12 a win. Force team from sec to play late late. Then give calls to pac 12 team.

It was an SEC officiating crew. I can only hope you were being sarcastic regarding the start time. If not, please google time zones. You can thank me later.

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
Calvin has got to hold on to the ball. Two weeks in a row. The rest was fine. We could have run for 300 if we'd actually tried.

BELdog

Aug 23, 2012
We won a sloppy game against a motivated P5 team after traveling across the country to kick off a game at 10:00 PM our time. I’ll take a 22 point win in that situation every time. We’ll beat LSU by two scores next weekend.

Choctaw Dawg

May 21, 2017
We won by 3 TD's on the road to a power 5 opponent. I don't care how bad we looked tonight we walked out a tough place that we have never played at before and won somewhat convincingly.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Why are you a fan? You’re obviously miserable. It’s like you aren’t happy with a 3 touchdown win and want everyone else to be unhappy too. What point difference would have impressed you tonight? 40? 50? You still probably would ***** then.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
Why are you a fan? You’re obviously miserable. It’s like you aren’t happy with a 3 touchdown win and want everyone else to be unhappy too. What point difference would have impressed you tonight? 40? 50? You still probably would ***** then.

I’m really curious what this guy thinks is good. What is peak MSU? The ‘14 offense couldn’t hit a corner fade and it bit them in the end. No disrespect to that great team.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I really think I liked you better when you were just bitching about the pretty elf princess slinging a sword, and even then I didn't really like you much. You've been on an angry elf roll here lately.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020

Lol, it's in my blood down through time. Nothing would have impressed me tonight. We were playing one of the absolute worst teams in the P5. I would have considered a game that was obviously out of reach and in control mid way through the second quarter a sign that we were at least meeting acceptable expectations. We absolutely did not rise to that level. At least we won.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
I really think I liked you better when you were just bitching about the pretty elf princess slinging a sword, and even then I didn't really like you much. You've been on an angry elf roll here lately.
Ah, WELL done! Then again, in Tolkien's world, princesses, above all, ELF princesses, did NOT sling swords.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Ah, WELL done! Then again, in Tolkien's world, princesses, above all, ELF princesses, did NOT sling swords.

I’m sure there is some context for this that I
missed but this is the weirdest post I’ve read on SPS

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
There’s a fairly long locked thread from yesterday where he had a mental breakdown because the new LOTR series isn’t like the books.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
I liked him better

When he was losing his mind on people who didn’t want to live in a fall out shelter during covid, but he was going to high school football games. L4 is a true treasure.

patdog

May 28, 2007
All our mistakes are correctable.
I can't count the number of times I've heard people say that all damn season long while the mistakes continued. We have an extremely veteran team. They shouldn't be making those mistakes. It was a sloppy, ugly win over a really bad team, but that's a hell of a lot better than a beautiful loss. I will say, if we can get the mistakes corrected, we can be a pretty good team.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I can't count the number of times I've heard people say that all damn season long while the mistakes continued. We have an extremely veteran team. They shouldn't be making those mistakes. It was a sloppy, ugly win over a really bad team, but that's a hell of a lot better than a beautiful loss. I will say, if we can get the mistakes corrected, we can be a pretty good team.

Well, let's analyze some of these mistakes:

Ducking with the drop that led to the pick: this is a veteran team but Ducking isn't a veteran player. Mental lapse there that will get fixed on leach beach.

Calvin with the fumble: We are deep at the position - if it becomes a trend, he will grab a seat

Missed extra points: Looks like that is already fixed.

I think our defense did what it usually does under Arnett: start out slow but make adjustments as the game goes along

My biggest concern with this team was also my concern before the season started: OL play. Kam had a bad night last night and he's got to get better and fast if he's going to be able to block SEC DLs.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
To play as sloppy as we did and still come out with a comfortable W that was never in doubt was a pretty solid outcome. Years past, we'd have lost that game. The turnovers and penalties have to be cleaned up before next week, though, or we'll get our *** handed to us.

chained1

Apr 4, 2014
Honest question because I don't remember one, has there been a holding penalty called on the teams we've played?

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

I have known Bill all my life and it's just his way. He is as loyal a State fan you will of ever come across. I know this is probably an understatement but he likes to temper his expectations to a fault almost. I can't tell you how many times we have disagreed but we are still good friends and he is a good friend to have. Just think of him as an Extreme dog who makes longer posts and a Tolkien purist.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I don't totally disagree with you. Just a peeve of mine. I always wonder, if the mistakes are that easy to fix, why haven't they been fixed? A few comments:

Ducking & Calvin - Duking's been around a while just hasn't played much. One thing I don't like is playing 12 players at 4 positions. Pick your best players and give them the snaps.

Extra points - Agree

Defense - Looked awful for a drive and a half. Then after the wild interception, they looked great. Arizona's offense is really bad though.

#58 - yeah, he was horrible last night.

Overall, I think we should have blown Arizona out, but it was a solid road win and that's not bad.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I don't totally disagree with you. Just a peeve of mine. I always wonder, if the mistakes are that easy to fix, why haven't they been fixed? A few comments:

Ducking & Calvin - Duking's been around a while just hasn't played much. One thing I don't like is playing 12 players at 4 positions. Pick your best players and give them the snaps.

Extra points - Agree

Defense - Looked awful for a drive and a half. Then after the wild interception, they looked great. Arizona's offense is really bad though.

#58 - yeah, he was horrible last night.

Overall, I think we should have blown Arizona out, but it was a solid road win and that's not bad.

Yeah, I've been a Mississippi State fan all my life, so I totally understand where you're coming from.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Well, let's analyze some of these mistakes:

Ducking with the drop that led to the pick: this is a veteran team but Ducking isn't a veteran player. Mental lapse there that will get fixed on leach beach.

Calvin with the fumble: We are deep at the position - if it becomes a trend, he will grab a seat

Missed extra points: Looks like that is already fixed.

I think our defense did what it usually does under Arnett: start out slow but make adjustments as the game goes along

My biggest concern with this team was also my concern before the season started: OL play. Kam had a bad night last night and he's got to get better and fast if he's going to be able to block SEC DLs.

I only got loud last night when we missed second extra point so I thought we did pretty good. The interceptions were just bad breaks and the fumble from Calvin I will give him a pass on. He won't need a chiropractor visit for a month because I'm sure every part of his neck popped on that one face mask. We were very sloppy but it was on the road in the middle of the night for us so we'll get a better reading on our team this weekend.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Honest question because I don't remember one, has there been a holding penalty called on the teams we've played?

Your question prompted me to check last night's box.

We got called for 3 holding penalties (1 declined) that I'm sure we deserved.

They got called for zero, which any casual fan who watched that game knows is absurd.

I'll say this, reviewing the penalties called made me realize that we would be livid again with this crew if this game had gone off the rails. It's a sad state in college officiating.

If you're going to suck at least suck consistently both ways.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Just curious…what do you consider a blowout? They won by 3 TDs and the spread was 10.5 so they doubled that up.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Overall pleased with the way we went on the road overcame adversity and won by 3 tds. Could have won by a lot more if we didn't play so careless at times and have some weird turnovers. Refs didn't help. Late night didn't help.
Will played really well. Receivers I would give a B just because of the turnovers. Defense played well. Just want them to break down on the sack more but they made that qb make a bunch of dumb plays. So far this season we have taken care of business and won like we should going in to Baton Rouge. Should have beat them last year. Should get them this year if we play like we can

patdog

May 28, 2007
Well, a blowout for sure can't be a 1 score game in the 4th quarter.

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
I was in line behind Jack Cristil at Todd's in Tupelo getting a plate lunch on a Sunday. I said to Jack that was an ugly win against LA Tech yesterday. He looked at me with disdain, grunted and said. Son anytime you can put a W on the schedule it's a good day. I think he would have flicked a lit cigarette butt at me if he had one.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
And just like we don’t have time for a guy that’s shanking PATs, there’s also not a ton of room on this roster for a 5’10” 160 lb receiver that can’t hold on to the ball. Just too much talent out there to put up with that

Muttley

Aug 22, 2012
I only got loud last night when we missed second extra point so I thought we did pretty good. The interceptions were just bad breaks and the fumble from Calvin I will give him a pass on. He won't need a chiropractor visit for a month because I'm sure every part of his neck popped on that one face mask. We were very sloppy but it was on the road in the middle of the night for us so we'll get a better reading on our team this weekend.

Calvin's fumble wasn't the one that was due to the face mask, that was Marks, Calvin had the ball stripped from him.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
What. Trust me I understand time zones. I from Mississippi originally went to grad school school in California and work with people every day all over the country in multiple time zones including Hawaii.

I was just saying they didn't consider half their audience with that kick time. They put us late at night to make it a better match up for pac12 and give pac12 better chance of winning making us play so late too on the road. They could have had two west coast teams play in that spot but they put us there rather than in a 6 pm their time or 3 pm time there. That was on fox and pac 12.

Now for the refs they were so bad on calling on us I thought they were pac12 refs. Turns out it was the same shifty crew from Memphis game. They don't need any more games with sec teams

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login