Let's say Leach retires after the 2024 season...

shotgunDawg

Nov 13, 2011
No. MSU needs an offensive head coach.

With the instate recruiting crop, MSU should always recruit well enough on defense to put a respectable defense on the field. Our ceiling as a program is always tied to QB development, OL, & offensive scheme.

Thus we need continuity on the offensive side, which can only be from a head coach, because the moment an OC had success at MSU, he'd leave for a blue blood.

I would actually consider Mason Miller above all others on the staff.

Arnett - Coaches the wrong side of the ball.

Spurrier - Doesn't have the edge

Miller - Coaches the right position, has charisma, & has an edge.

Last edited:

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
Consider? Of course...

Would I make the hire if I was the AD (or the cigar boys)...that depends on the pool of interested and feasible candidates. If there was no one interested that had a proven track record as a head coach I'd be disappointed. So yes I would consider him but hopefully he's not our 1st or 2nd option. If he is we've fallen further than I thought.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
MSU needs a recruiter. I don’t care if can’t coach a lick.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
What are the odds Arnett is still here at the end of two years? 25%? Of course, if he left after this year I guess that wouldn't completely preclude him from returning as HC.

shotgunDawg

Nov 13, 2011
We've literally had like 10 defensive coordinators in 12 years & the defense has been virtually the same in all but a few years. I like Arnett, but I just don't see the value of making him the head coach.

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
Would I consider him, sure. Not sure I would hire though. To kind of sidetrack the topic, how will NIL affect how coaches look at job openings? Will we be looking at the same pool of coaches regardless of how organized and large our NIL program is or will the NIL potentially eliminate potential coaches from taking the MSU job because our pool is less than other P5 schools?

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
We've literally had like 10 defensive coordinators in 12 years & the defense has been virtually the same in all but a few years. I like Arnett, but I just don't see the value of making him the head coach.

I don't disagree. I imagine it's likely he moves on to another DC job, hopefully bc he has a good 2022 but also possibly b/c he doesn't.

shotgunDawg

Nov 13, 2011
Would I consider him, sure. Not sure I would hire though. To kind of sidetrack the topic, how will NIL affect how coaches look at job openings? Will we be looking at the same pool of coaches regardless of how organized and large our NIL program is or will the NIL potentially eliminate potential coaches from taking the MSU job because our pool is less than other P5 schools?

If I were a head coach candidate, I'd want a guarantee on a base amount of $ I'd have to spend in NIL a year.

Just like coaches try to get assurances on facility upgrades & staffing before taking a job (Napier) I'd ask for a base amount of like $3 mil per year in NIL that I'd know I have to work with before accepting a job

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
^^Blocked Peter Sirmon from his mind.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Not sure why this is even a question. We were relatively disappointing on defense last season, #62 in total defense, #66 in yards per play, #34 in DVOA. Not Top 25 in anything. Seems we have a very average DC. Why would he be considered an exceptional head coach?

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
^^Blocked Peter Sirmon from his mind.

Who? I think my brain has tried to protect me from that trauma.

Seriously, he should have given Fitzgerald a hand-written apology for that Arkansas game. A man gives you 42 points, 328 yards passing, and another 131 yards rushing and you can't force one damn punt.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Mullen is another nope. The 2nd time is almost always a disappointment.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Mullen is another nope. The 2nd time is almost always a disappointment.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
HELL YES. Always wanted a defensive head coach who could KEEP the damn defense where it needs to be year in, year out. We also need to be spending our limited NIL resources on defensive studs from the state of Mississippi.Go out and hire a niche offensive coordinator, over and over and over. Obviously you'd like to have a general idea of what you want your offense to be.The ones who claim we need to hire an OC just have tunnel vision. They'll say that our best years were when we had that. I'd counter with the fact that our entire history has sucked for the most part. And if you look around the country your offense simply needs to be good enough.

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
I’d make Todd Monken tell me no first, but would not be disappointed with Arnett depending on staff. I would be more than happy with Arnett over some names we heard in last search (Grantham, Judge,etc)

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012

My bad….meant #62 in scoring defense, and actually total defense was #29 on the site I used. Yards per play was #66 and that’s a much more accurate (and problematic) indicator than total yards per game. Point remains though, we haven’t shown any form of exceptional defense under Arnett. We’ve looked competent, but not overpowering at any point. Overall, he’s just like Grantham and every other average DC out there….when in doubt just blitz. We got burned badly by this in the 2020 UGA game and 2021 LSU. Not only did we blitz wayy too much, but our blitzes were late and didn’t get there, and we always paid the price.

Last edited:

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Nope. That would be a lazy hire.
Who cares? Sometimes the right hire is right there under your nose. Remember when we had the right guy after Mullen left, but we hired another "offensive guru" that was hailed as one of the best hires in the country? I do.

Was Freeman at Notre Dame lazy?

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Who cares? Sometimes the right hire is right there under your nose. Remember when we had the right guy after Mullen left, but we hired another "offensive guru" that was hailed as one of the best hires in the country? I do.

Was Freeman at Notre Dame lazy?

Who was the right guy after Mullen left?

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Who needs a high paid coach anymore though? Hire a competent lower level coach and put the money we save towards buying the best players we can. This will soon be like pro sports where players are paid more than coaches. No way around it.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I've had around half dozen or more opportunities to be involved in a conversation around him last couple years and I just don't see him as a head coach. Even in casual conversation he is intense, all business, no nonsense and I think that is great for what he does now. What he is not is a butt kisser, ring kisser, baby kisser etc that it takes in certain situations to keep the 5%'ers that write the big checks happy and also the mama's and families of recruits. If he changed from what he is now I don't see him as being as effective on the field. It's kind of like the Joe Lee Dunn situation when the Black Shark Land Bears tried to change him, he was miserable and said so later. He may be awesome at it at a smaller school where he's not having to kiss alum butts on the banquet and civic club circuit but I don't see it happening here.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

With the instate recruiting crop, MSU should always recruit well enough on defense to put a respectable defense on the field. Our ceiling as a program is always tied to QB development, OL, & offensive scheme.

Thus we need continuity on the offensive side, which can only be from a head coach, because the moment an OC had success at MSU, he'd leave for a blue blood.

This is the right answer, except that it's not absolute. All things being equal, we are better off with an offensive minded head coach because our successful coordinators are going to move on to bigger jobs, and it's easier to handle the turnover on the defensive side of the ball. But if we have the opportunity to hire a successful G5 head coach that is a defensive coach and the candidates with an offensive background are meh, I don't think you pass on a good candidate just because of a commitment to offense. Still better off with a good head coach and managing the turnover on offense the best you can.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
Not in favor of that at all....

The answer is Dan Mullen

2nd terms don't tend to go as well as the first. Johnny Majors at Pitt, Petrino at UL come to mind. Snyder at KState was probably and exception but he never coached anywhere else. Just took a 4 year hiatus. Knowing Mullen's persona I don't think it would work. I can see him coming back to Vegas full of himself, thinking he owned the town and was doing us a favor. Also he has never been a good recruiter or a schmoozer and I can only see that getting worse in the NIL era.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Also he has never been a good recruiter or a schmoozer and I can only see that getting worse in the NIL era.
I wouldn't be opposed to this, for this reason alone. The guy can go out and find undervalued talent. We know we'll be a solid fundamental team. We could do much worse. Not my first choice, but definitely in the top 3. Love him or hate him, we have tradition formed due to him. And now that he's gotten his ego bruised at Florida, I have no real ill will towards him anymore.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Who was the right guy after Mullen left?
Todd Grantham, along with Billy Gonzalez calling plays. You simply do not give up the potential we had in 2018 for a gamble. I said it 100 times back then, "Cohen, please do not go out and change the offense"....and he went and did that ****. It was common sense, with that team coming back, keep the train going. We were likely going to fall off the cliff in 2019 and 2020 anyway due to Mullen's gapped up recruiting, so we could have fired Grantham at that point. Instead we got mediocrity for 4 years going now. We'll see if Cohen's big gamble ultimately pays off if Leach can get, and keep, this thing rolling for 2-3 years (counting 2022 in that). No point in looking back now.

So I say all that to say.....if it's working, stick with it until it doesn't.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Snyder at K-State was not an exception. His first term there he finished in the top 10 six times, plus 4 other times ranked from 1993-2003 before tailing off his last 2 seasons. His second term 0 top 10 finishes and 4 times ranked in 11 years. Also, see Polk II which was a freaking disaster. And you can even throw in Stansbury pre and post accepting the Clemson job and then reversing himself the next day.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012

Croom was an offensive head coach.

The last defensive coach we had was JWS and we're reaching a point where nobody on the current team was even alive when he coached here.

Tough to know that it has to be an offensive coach when it's been two decades since we've had one.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Snyder at K-State was not an exception. His first term there he finished in the top 10 six times, plus 4 other times ranked from 1993-2003 before tailing off his last 2 seasons. His second term 0 top 10 finishes and 4 times ranked in 11 years. Also, see Polk II which was a freaking disaster. And you can even throw in Stansbury pre and post accepting the Clemson job and then reversing himself the next day.
I don't see how you don't consider both Snyder and Petrino as successes, on their first 4 years alone. Sure it dropped for both after that, but ****, fire them. I guarantee you Louisville would trade what happened to them. Heisman winner, an inch from beating the national champ? Hell yeah. Same thing with Collin Klein and K-state. They were #1 in the BCS very late in the year!

Might revise that take, man. If Leach tanked and Danny came in and went 6-6, 7-5, 8-4 and 10-2.....it's a success.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login