Let's say Leach retires after the 2024 season...

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Todd Grantham, along with Billy Gonzalez calling plays. You simply do not give up the potential we had in 2018 for a gamble. I said it 100 times back then, "Cohen, please do not go out and change the offense"....and he went and did that ****. It was common sense, with that team coming back, keep the train going. We were likely going to fall off the cliff in 2019 and 2020 anyway due to Mullen's gapped up recruiting, so we could have fired Grantham at that point. Instead we got mediocrity for 4 years going now. We'll see if Cohen's big gamble ultimately pays off if Leach can get, and keep, this thing rolling for 2-3 years (counting 2022 in that). No point in looking back now.

So I say all that to say.....if it's working, stick with it until it doesn't.

Wow. You mean we should have hired this guy? Seems like he was totally ready to be a head coach (not). Pretty sure that hiring a complete fraud of a DC and a total ******* to boot would not have been the best move.

How bad were things under Todd Grantham?
From just a bird’s eye view, Grantham’s defenses posted nearly 3 full seasons where his defense ranked outside the top 25 in the country at a program that had tallied just 1 such season in the 15 years prior to his arrival. His 2020 defense was the worst at Florida since the 0-10-1 1979 team and surrendered more points per game (30.8) than any Florida defense since 1917.
Grantham blamed COVID and a lack of spring football for the problems, but his unit wasn’t much better in 2021. The Gators have surrendered 24.8 points per game this season (with a shutout!) and have given up an average of 266 yards rushing in Florida’s past 3 SEC games.
That’s atrocious, and making matters worse, Grantham had lost the locker room.
Mohamoud Diabate, Florida’s leading tackler and an honors student in line for a Rhodes Scholarship, said as much after Florida’s shocking loss to LSU, where the Gators gave up 49 points and 321 yards rushing to an LSU team that ranked 127th in college football in rushing entering the game.
Asked why Florida couldn’t adjust to the counter, Diabate said “(We) made the adjustments we were given to make.” Pressed further, Diabate said, “I can only do what I’m coached to do. I’m like a soldier who shoots how he is told to shoot. It’s not my job to ask the generals what they are doing. That’s your (the media’s) job.”

That type of statement from a leader of your football team is problematic, and you can bet a smart young man like Diabate, who is careful with his words and has been terrific with the media for 3 years, put time and thought into those answers.
But it wasn’t just the players. Multiple sources inside the football program told SDS that Grantham had become unbearably difficult to work with over the past year, yelling at coaches who offered constructive criticism or advice and talking down to interns and graduate assistants.
“Most toxic environment I’ve ever dealt with,” one Florida staffer texted Sunday night.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Let's say MSU loses to Ole Miss this year: Will Leach be around for the 2024 season? That is the question

With 6 wins, against this year’s schedule, absolutely. 5-7 with an Egg Bowl loss, maybe depends on context (were there key injuries or other drama, were staff changes made after the season, etc.?). 4-8, he gone.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Wow. You mean we should have hired this guy? Seems like he was totally ready to be a head coach (not). Pretty sure that hiring a complete fraud of a DC and a total ******* to boot would not have been the best move.

How bad were things under Todd Grantham?
From just a bird’s eye view, Grantham’s defenses posted nearly 3 full seasons where his defense ranked outside the top 25 in the country at a program that had tallied just 1 such season in the 15 years prior to his arrival. His 2020 defense was the worst at Florida since the 0-10-1 1979 team and surrendered more points per game (30.8) than any Florida defense since 1917.
Grantham blamed COVID and a lack of spring football for the problems, but his unit wasn’t much better in 2021. The Gators have surrendered 24.8 points per game this season (with a shutout!) and have given up an average of 266 yards rushing in Florida’s past 3 SEC games.
That’s atrocious, and making matters worse, Grantham had lost the locker room.
Mohamoud Diabate, Florida’s leading tackler and an honors student in line for a Rhodes Scholarship, said as much after Florida’s shocking loss to LSU, where the Gators gave up 49 points and 321 yards rushing to an LSU team that ranked 127th in college football in rushing entering the game.
Asked why Florida couldn’t adjust to the counter, Diabate said “(We) made the adjustments we were given to make.” Pressed further, Diabate said, “I can only do what I’m coached to do. I’m like a soldier who shoots how he is told to shoot. It’s not my job to ask the generals what they are doing. That’s your (the media’s) job.”

That type of statement from a leader of your football team is problematic, and you can bet a smart young man like Diabate, who is careful with his words and has been terrific with the media for 3 years, put time and thought into those answers.
But it wasn’t just the players. Multiple sources inside the football program told SDS that Grantham had become unbearably difficult to work with over the past year, yelling at coaches who offered constructive criticism or advice and talking down to interns and graduate assistants.
“Most toxic environment I’ve ever dealt with,” one Florida staffer texted Sunday night.
I guess you just forget just how close they were to the playoff in 2019. Played the eventual national champ toe to toe, then lose to Georgia by a TD. It certainly fell apart on them after Bama beat them in 2020 (by a hair).

Common sense tells you the guy (Grantham) was 50 at the time, interviewed with us, obviously wanted the job (said as much) and loved Starkville, didn't, and eventually (reluctantly) joined Mullen at Florida. Pretty obvious his heart wasn't in that ****, and it got away from them.

He might not have worked long term, and that's fine. When you have a season lining up like 2018, that's the play. You keep the train rolling. Instead we wrecked that ***** in FINE fashion. It's almost depressing to even think about.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
I guess you just forget just how close they were to the playoff in 2019. Played the eventual national champ toe to toe, then lose to Georgia by a TD. It certainly fell apart on them after Bama beat them in 2020 (by a hair).

Common sense tells you the guy (Grantham) was 50 at the time, interviewed with us, obviously wanted the job (said as much) and loved Starkville, didn't, and eventually (reluctantly) joined Mullen at Florida. Pretty obvious his heart wasn't in that ****, and it got away from them.

He might not have worked long term, and that's fine. When you have a season lining up like 2018, that's the play. You keep the train rolling. Instead we wrecked that ***** in FINE fashion. It's almost depressing to even think about.

I guess I am forgetting. When I think of a DC’s squad going “toe to toe” with the eventual national champs, I don’t think about his side of the ball giving up 42 points in a 2-TD defeat. One thing I didn’t forget, him having all the same personnel of the eventual #1 defense in the country the year after he left, except when he had them he gave up 30+ in half our SEC games.

I also don’t see why we would hire an overrated DC as head coach to keep the train rolling on offense. Could have just hired Gonzalez or Knox or any number of other subpar candidates if that was the play.

Grantham is a clown who owes every bit of success he ever had to coaching elite talent at the likes of UGA, UF, and even MSU. I’d have rather hung onto Moorhead for 3 years instead of 2 than hire his *** in 2018.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
He could definitely be interviewed for sure. Biggest thing I would look for now is who do you think can navigate this new era of college football. Got have someone with some ability to recruit and retain. Someone who can excite a fan base to show up. Most important win the games you should snd occasionally upset someone you shouldn't.

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
I’m monitoring Zach Kittley closely the next few years.

I do think Leach will be here until he’s ready to quit, but I’m fully aware that could be on a random October Tuesday before we play Alabama and while we are having a good year. Nothing is off the table with this guy

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
You know I agree with you goat. Most of this nfl talent we put in league was under him and his recruitment. Definitely had a knack for finding athletes and making them sec and nfl players. Mostly defense.

I would like to see a more trask and dak 15 style offense though. I think the days of relf coast offense are probably over for now in sec.

I think a leach disciple that likes to run it a little more with a 60 40 split snd mobile qb system would better if we were going to have to replace leach because of retirement

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA HOLY ****
You’ve said some really, really dumb things before. But Grantham as HC and Gonzales calling playing is by far the dumbest one I’ve heard

patdog

May 28, 2007
No doubt Snyder did fine in his 2nd stint at K-State. But there's no way to get around the fact it wasn't nearly as good as his first one was. Same can be said for Petrino at Louisville.

RiverCityDawg

Dec 30, 2009
I’m monitoring Zach Kittley closely the next few years.

I do think Leach will be here until he’s ready to quit, but I’m fully aware that could be on a random October Tuesday before we play Alabama and while we are having a good year. Nothing is off the table with this guy

Yeah the move would be Kittley or another young exciting offensive coach known for big passing offenses, OR...

Coach Prime (if he would even be an option)

Hiring a defensive coach or a "recruiter" not named Deion Sanders would be a bad move for State.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
You know I agree with you goat. Most of this nfl talent we put in league was under him and his recruitment. Definitely had a knack for finding athletes and making them sec and nfl players. Mostly defense.

I would like to see a more trask and dak 15 style offense though. I think the days of relf coast offense are probably over for now in sec.

I think a leach disciple that likes to run it a little more with a 60 40 split snd mobile qb system would better if we were going to have to replace leach because of retirement
Agree on all. And as much as we think of Danny as an offensive coach, his theory when he got here was to put all the best athletes on defense. And Bartoo says it all the time, the only person who can run Mike Leach's offense successfully is Mike Leach. So yeah we'll need to tweak it for the ground game.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I have a feeling he is going to retire before the 25 season

I think there's a good chance of that just because NIL will make it not fun for him, but if we can weather that storm, I think he will coach for a while. He is interested in non-football things, but he also doesn't work 80 hours a week like most SEC head coaches, so I don't think he'll get tired of coaching.

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
Speaking of over rated in Mississippi. Prime has done well and is definitely improving JSU but doing well in the SWAC and being ready for the SEC are two vastly different animals. The SWAC isn't even comparable to the Sunbelt

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
We couldn't talk anyone with a pulse into taking the job when we hired Leach. If he doesn't win this year, he and Cohen both should be on the hot seat.

60sdog

Oct 9, 2010
No. He lost three Egg Bowls while here because he had quit coaching for the year and was shopping himself. He burned his bridges as far as I’m concerned.

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019
We couldn't talk anyone with a pulse into taking the job when we hired Leach. If he doesn't win this year, he and Cohen both should be on the hot seat.
This is wrong on so many levels. We had a lot of interest in the job. I'm not gonna get into specifics but to say we had no interest is false.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
I'd be interested to know who some of the more

innovative offensive minds were entertaining us during the last hiring process. It was rumored Napier wasn't listening to us.

patdog

May 28, 2007
After the way we treated him in November, who could blame him for telling us to 17 off in January.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
In our defense though, who would have expected this...

[FONT="]the Egg Bowl was on Russian television and the ending is the FUNNIEST THING THE ANNOUNCERS HAVE EVER SEEN pic.twitter.com/Owvu6iAgRq— Timothy Burke (@bubbaprog) November 29, 2019 [/FONT]

ChinaDogSunflower

Aug 26, 2012
You forgot your sarcasterisks. JoMo could recruit. But he was not able to handle the duties of being a HC unfortunately. Too soon

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login