Liberty Bowl had almost 4 Million viewers

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021
Liberty Bowl 3.9 Million Viewers
CWS Championship Game 3 vs Vandy 1.67 Million Viewers

Thanks for the reminder how many people watched us lay that egg. Good grief that was awful and still stewing about it as I watch other teams at least make a game off it. On to next year.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
I mean, I like watching us play baseball, but it really is a southern regional college sport. The Women’s College World Series got better tv ratings in 2021 than the CWS.

msudawg12

Dec 9, 2008
Football is ultimately the only sport that really matters. Anyone who says different is grasping at straws.

I will play counter argument.

Football is the only sport that matters to a national audience but it is also one of the only sports that we literally cannot compete for a national championship in. That does play a part in determining where to spend money

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016

Football is the only sport that matters to a national audience but it is also one of the only sports that we literally cannot compete for a national championship in. That does play a part in determining where to spend money
We were one half of bad play calling away from most likely playing for one in 2014.

OliveBranchDAWG

Aug 22, 2012

How can we literally not compete for a national championship? There are plenty of schools who are similar to MSU in many ways, but none of them have fans who think they shouldn’t invest or go “all in” on football. The consequences of not being fully invested in football are costly. Your counter-argument is a loser’s mentality.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016

Basketball makes money.

MSU Basketball and Football have way more upside to making money than MSU Baseball ever will.

vandaldawg

Feb 23, 2008

If you mean the word “literally” literally, then we literally compete for a championship in every sport every year.

RiceDawg

Aug 13, 2017
I get that the school built the new Dude recently, but I have always wondered why baseball doesn’t make money. Someone that truly knows tell me why, please.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
I get that the school built the new Dude recently, but I have always wondered why baseball doesn’t make money. Someone that truly knows tell me why, please.
Educated guess: Small crowds with cheap tickets and very little TV money. TV money is the biggie.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Well I’ll be damned….more viewers for college football than college baseball? Who knew…

So many other topics we should also discuss that are super interesting and not likely known by many….

Did you know that human beings have landed on the 17ing moon?

Have you heard about this coronavirus? It’s crazy!

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
That’s great but that’s not the point olblue

What is the point then? We should be retroactively less excited about the baseball natty? We should be even more pissed about the Liberty Bowl loss than we were when it happened? We should blow up the baseball stadium and sell the material scraps for pennies on the dollar, just so we can put together an NIL deal together for 3 football players?

It was simply a Captain Obvious statement made with no purpose other than to ***** and moan. There was no point.

Last edited:

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Im sure there was no difference in the revenue at Starkville area businesses in June 2017 and 2018 vs June 2019 and 2021.

Last edited by a moderator:

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
to judge how many viewers they monitor the first 15 minutes of each hours and average it out. They don't monitor the entire program for that number.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Liberty Bowl 3.9 Million Viewers
CWS Championship Game 3 vs Vandy 1.67 Million Viewers

but how many people have seen/heard the MSU promotional videos and related championship merchandise. TV audience is only part of the equation

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
but how many people have seen/heard the MSU promotional videos and related championship merchandise. TV audience is only part of the equation

Very few outside of State fans. Walmart didn't even do an AL style championship Coke display.

Last edited:

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I would guess the big red minus marks on balance sheet would be charter flights , and 3 nights hotel and 4 days of meals on road trips for I'm guessing 60 people. Meals and hotel alone would kill you on what measly pay out you'd get from most places. Everett almost always drives ahead on road trips in a university bus to shuttle the team from airport to hotel to stadium too. Fuel ain't cheap one a road trip for him to Gainesville, College Station, Fayetteville, Columbia, etc

was21

May 29, 2007
Didn't know State and TT had that many fans....doubt if anyone else was watching.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Very few outside of State fans. Walmart didn't even do an AL style championship Coke display.

I've had no less than 20 random people from all across America mention the CWS championship to me. None of which were state fans. Small anecdotal sample size of a much much bigger number.

Let a marketing company define the brand impact because I don't think you think beyond TV viewers lol

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020
Baseball is a club sport. Brag about the natty. That’s fine. But let’s stop pretending it’s a major sport in the national landscape.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Baseball is a club sport. Brag about the natty. That’s fine. But let’s stop pretending it’s a major sport in the national landscape.

Literally no one is saying it is. But carry on with your red herring crusade against nobody in particular. Sorry you don’t realize that winning the NC in baseball is better than, you know….not winning it.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
I'm saying the overall economic brand impact is more than you're implying. It's not football but you're naive if you think it doesn't effect admissions, donations, merchandise, ticket sales and the value of the MSU brand.

A bowl game in itself does very little for any of the above.

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020
Literally no one is saying it is. But carry on with your red herring crusade against nobody in particular. Sorry you don’t realize that winning the NC in baseball is better than, you know….not winning it.
That is EXACTLY what the point of that original post was. And I’ve seen it a million times on the FB groups. When we lose in football we have a group of people every time they say oh well it’s almost baseball season. The natty is great. But it doesn’t mean anything to most sports fans outside the borders of MS. Football and basketball are the cash cows and those are what have the attention of sports fans outside the SEC footprint.

Like I said, we can enjoy being the best in a club sport, but it does nothing to grow the MSU brand outside of Mississippi.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
That is EXACTLY what the point of that original post was. And I’ve seen it a million times on the FB groups. When we lose in football we have a group of people every time they say oh well it’s almost baseball season. The natty is great. But it doesn’t mean anything to most sports fans outside the borders of MS. Football and basketball are the cash cows and those are what have the attention of sports fans outside the SEC footprint.

Like I said, we can enjoy being the best in a club sport, but it does nothing to grow the MSU brand outside of Mississippi.

So you are on this high horse here, on SPS, about “what they be saying on facebook”? Why? If you care that much, take it up with those folks on that platform. I certainly don’t give a ****….facebook interest groups are probably the lowest common denominator of idiocy not only within the MSU sports world, but in society as a whole. I’m not seeking that level of dialogue out.

No one on this forum is propping up a false equivalency between college football and college baseball from a marketing or exposure standpoint. But a few are (correctly) saying that winning the NC in baseball is far more beneficial for MSU than winning the Liberty Bowl ever could be. But that doesn’t change the fact that we could have won the LB with a better effort, and that it was disappointing to see us not show up with a better performance. Numbers of viewers for either event don’t mean anything. Most fans watching the LB were folks checking up on their bets and bowl pick ‘em results, or just general holiday football fans who could not give less of a crap who won otherwise. I bet there weren’t more than 600k-700k households tuned in that were avid MSU or TT fans.

Last edited:

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
I promise you millions of people in Arkansas, Texas, North Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia and Indiana know plenty about Mississippi State.

P.S. We get 44+ million for football even if we lose every game. And basketball isn't a cash cow for us.

Bulldogg31

Dec 9, 2013
MSU Basketball and Football have way more upside to making money than MSU Baseball ever will.

I’m not sure about that. I think as football becomes more and more top-heavy (the top is going to continue getting heavier with fewer teams able to compete with NIL deals), more schools will look for other ways to make a splash in athletics.

I’ve had dozens of people ask me about Omaha and the natty once they know I’m a Mississippi State alum. Most of those people don’t give two bunts about baseball either. That series win over Vandy was bigger for our school that folks might think.

OliveBranchDAWG

Aug 22, 2012
I’m not sure about that. I think as football becomes more and more top-heavy (the top is going to continue getting heavier with fewer teams able to compete with NIL deals), more schools will look for other ways to make a splash in athletics.

I’ve had dozens of people ask me about Omaha and the natty once they know I’m a Mississippi State alum. Most of those people don’t give two bunts about baseball either. That series win over Vandy was bigger for our school that folks might think.

You’ve had a dozen people ask you about Omaha? Oh, well then screw it! Baseball is everything! Why are we even wasting our time with football??

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
You’ve had a dozen people ask you about Omaha? Oh, well then screw it! Baseball is everything! Why are we even wasting our time with football??

It's a random sample size that can be extrapolated to estimate a much larger number. It's much more than just Mississippi and here's the thing: it's the only sport TV audience that grows year over year. Not just in little old Mississippi. Shocking I know

Who mentioned college baseball 3 years ago. Really no one. That's changing.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login