Listen to the Walker Jones segment of Out of Bounds, Thursday show

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
He gives some details on managing their collective. He talks about the house v ncaa settlement.

He acknowledged OM spent approximately $14 million on their current roster. He says it takes $9-10 million to have a team of top 15 talent.

basketball takes about $5milliom to have ncaa talent.

UK baseball had about $500-750k of nil investment in last years roster.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
Everyone should listen to this. Listen to 16:00-19:00 especially. He talks about the how as soon as the 12 team playoff was announced, they created a vision for NIL with the investors targeting making the playoff in the inaugural year.

Edit: his description of NIL by sport comes right after the times above

msugolf

Dec 29, 2008
Everyone should listen to this. Listen to 16:00-19:00 especially. He talks about the how as soon as the 12 team playoff was announced, they created a vision for NIL with the investors targeting making the playoff in the inaugural year.

Edit: his description of NIL by sport comes right after the times above
They are soooo far ahead of us in terms of organization and commitment. They just care more…it’s as simple as that.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
They are soooo far ahead of us in terms of organization and commitment. They just care more…it’s as simple as that.
I guess they do. They care more than I do and I've about had enough of this. I'm willing to spend a few grand to attend games with the family throughout the year but not if we're just gonna lose. I also have several family trips planned, including to Europe and Canada, with family and friends and I actually do care about that more than I care about contributing to NIL. I'm comfortably upper-middle class, it took some time to get where I am, and I'm not throwing my family's money at some athlete who doesn't know me just so I can feel good on Saturday. I don't support the system currently in place. I'll find something else to do especially if State becomes just some SEC doormat.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
This is a true statement. It’s not going to change, and honestly, I’m OK with that. As I have stated previously part of the reason I like being a state fan is that in general state fans are not defined strictly by the fact that we root for state. The same cannot be said for the majority of other SEC schools. Ultimately, it is a bunch of 18 to 22-year-old kids wearing a color I like when they play football. Back when there was the illusion that we were having to work harder than everybody else to get players who then came in with pride when playing for the underdog, I liked it. But now that it is simply buying players, I really can’t take any joy in it. If state gets good again, I have no doubt I will watch. But it will never be fun the way it was back in the Jackie or Mullen years. Those days are gone forever.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
We've had the "I ain't giving ...." yada yada conversations.

Here is my questions now that we have heard some numbers. Regardless if it is grass roots efforts or big corp and cigar boys or some combination......

can Mississippi State football raise $9-12 million per year for football?

Obviously, we can raise enough for basketball to be competitive.

I would like to think, if all baseball takes is less than $1million, we can raise more than $1million for baseball and kick ***. I say get baseball $1.5 million for nil.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
.... as I board my flight for Austin, there are a good number of State fans aboard. Obviously, We have many that care.

Reactions: The Fatboy

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
14 million over three years? Ohio State spent 20 million this year alone.
I took Jones comments to mean $14million this year alone.

Also, everyone says OM is all in. They are. However a week or so ago, the Arkansas AD said the Grove Collective had 3,000 members. As if that was some huge number. Considering they raise $14million for one team, I'd say OM has alot of large donors.

Rank and file fans giving, I'm sure that helps. However the meat of the budget will come from cigar boys and corporations. I hope we have those resources in our pocket. I hope.... because $14 or $20 million sounds like a mountain of cash to raise every year for MSU.

411dawg

Sep 5, 2012
This current system is in no way sustainable. The cost is going to keep skyrocketing if there are no caps put into place. At some point even the wealthiest donors are going to pull back without a decent ROI. I have not researched much of the revenue sharing plans, but the payments need to come from the schools. They can then do whatever is necessary in seat fees to help offset costs. Most middle income fans aren't going to contribute long term to a salary pool.

Reactions: Maroon13

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
.... as I board my flight for Austin, there are a good number of State fans aboard. Obviously, We have many that care.
We do. Fans go to games. It's been that way for years. But how much are these passengers contributing to NIL in a way that gets us 7-9 wins annually? I've cared for decades and spent quite a bit going to games, even away games. I've given NIL to NIL and as the system is currently structured, don't think I ever will except maybe for baseball only.

Reactions: OopsICroomedmypants

Bulldog45

Oct 2, 2018
I'm only a few minutes in, but this is great. I appreciate someone like an AD being so candid about it
Questions I have are is he just being candid for the sake of being candid or is that $14 million unsustainable for them and that’s why he’s being candid? $14 million for the roster is in today’s dollars I assume, but players are obviously free to walk away at any time and renegotiate, and no guarantees you’ll be able to buy an equal performer at an equal or lower price.

Bulldog45

Oct 2, 2018
Depends on how you look at. The folks going are getting a nice trip in return for the cost of the trip. Some would argue if those people truly care they would forego the trip and give the money to NIL for the greater good.

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
I guess they do. They care more than I do and I've about had enough of this. I'm willing to spend a few grand to attend games with the family throughout the year but not if we're just gonna lose. I also have several family trips planned, including to Europe and Canada, with family and friends and I actually do care about that more than I care about contributing to NIL. I'm comfortably upper-middle class, it took some time to get where I am, and I'm not throwing my family's money at some athlete who doesn't know me just so I can feel good on Saturday. I don't support the system currently in place. I'll find something else to do especially if State becomes just some SEC doormat.
This is just it. It’s not that they necessarily care more, it’s just that their powers that be jumped out front when things changed and got ahead of the new landscape. That immediately sustained winning for them, when then created more excitement with the regulars and the base. Even if the common Joe isn’t directly contributing to the NIL, he actually is by being excited and buying tickets. Then rounding up to the nearest dollar whenever he buys something up there, and that extra goes to the NIL. Also paying the extra tax on items. Every little bit helps and adds up. They have forward thinkers in place at the leadership positions that truly care more about winning. And that winning creates more revenue which sustains and creates more winning.

Reactions: patdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I hope.... because $14 or $20 million sounds like a mountain of cash to raise every year for MSU.
This current system is in no way sustainable. The cost is going to keep skyrocketing if there are no caps put into place. At some point even the wealthiest donors are going to pull back without a decent ROI. I have not researched much of the revenue sharing plans, but the payments need to come from the schools. They can then do whatever is necessary in seat fees to help offset costs. Most middle income fans aren't going to contribute long term to a salary pool.
I've been very surprised that the cost has just kept rising. It's like people refuse to not give all their money to it. Truly unbelievable.

MSU is going to have to find a way to do this without just straight overpaying for players.

OopsICroomedmypants

Sep 29, 2022
I say we pull all money from football and put everything in baseball and basketball. Heck let’s throw in softball and soccer too. I’d love to get another Natty in something. We could just pause football for two years and get it done before someone else decides to do it. Let’s get ahead of the curve for once!

Reactions: RopeDawg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I say we pull all money from football and put everything in baseball and basketball. Heck let’s throw in softball and soccer too. I’d love to get another Natty in something. We could just pause football for two years and get it done before someone else decides to do it. Let’s get ahead of the curve for once!
I've advocated for this, but we still need to be competent in football, enough to compete once every 5 years for the playoff.

What really sucks is Leach's death. He would have kept us competitive, on the cheap, for at least a decade. I really hate that our leadership completely threw away all the lessons we had learned from Leach's 3 years.

patdog

May 28, 2007
That is an option. One side effect of Mississippi going all in for football is it’s pretty much the only sport they’re going to be competitive in for a while. Meanwhile, we’re generally pretty competitive in most sports & suck at football.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
He gives some details on managing their collective. He talks about the house v ncaa settlement.

He acknowledged OM spent approximately $14 million on their current roster. He says it takes $9-10 million to have a team of top 15 talent.

So we need a $300MM investment account to throw off $10MM per year just to support football?

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
5 million and 14 million for two sports and only 3000 donors. That's over $6000.00 per donor per year. Must be only a hand full giving millions and a bunch giving dollars. Or maybe they did borrow the money and making the payments with donor money.

Reactions: Maroon13

rem101

Jan 22, 2008
That is an option. One side effect of Mississippi going all in for football is it’s pretty much the only sport they’re going to be competitive in for a while. Meanwhile, we’re generally pretty competitive in most sports & suck at football.
They will be competitive in basketball.

rem101

Jan 22, 2008
I had a friend poll a group of friends on who all contributed to NIL. Every ole miss fan there (probably 6-7) had autodraft set up to Grove Collective. Of the MSU fans asked (same number), I was the only one who contributed every month. Not a single one of those OM fans have been to a game in Oxford in 5 years.

RopeDawg

Feb 24, 2023
This is a true statement. It’s not going to change, and honestly, I’m OK with that. As I have stated previously part of the reason I like being a state fan is that in general state fans are not defined strictly by the fact that we root for state. The same cannot be said for the majority of other SEC schools. Ultimately, it is a bunch of 18 to 22-year-old kids wearing a color I like when they play football. Back when there was the illusion that we were having to work harder than everybody else to get players who then came in with pride when playing for the underdog, I liked it. But now that it is simply buying players, I really can’t take any joy in it. If state gets good again, I have no doubt I will watch. But it will never be fun the way it was back in the Jackie or Mullen years. Those days are gone forever.
Great friggin post.

RopeDawg

Feb 24, 2023
Football is going to suck no matter what now so why not throw all your eggs in Basketball and Baseball?

GoDawgz52

Aug 21, 2023
I just happened to flip through this morning and caught it as he replayed it this morning, just cant stomach Bo anymore.
Ole Miss, and most likely with the rest of the top 15, has built a machine.
Group of employees that their job is to evaluate every team they play, just to see if a player would be someone they would be interested in going after "if they go into the portal next year". In other words, lets contact this kid to see if we can pay him to come to our team.
They are spending upwards of 14+ million on this years roster.
Walker Jones' job is to be the guy that a player comes to to agree to terms of a contract. Sounded like Kiffin doesn't even have to worry about that part, he just tells them the importance of wanting a player and they grade accordingly.
Revenue sharing from the SEC will somewhat level the playing field, but the schools that have a system like this in place will still have 15+ million a year on top of what the Rev sharing gives each school.
State is way behind the eight ball and as Jones put it, it will be very difficult to catch up!
He said that if a team is only spending 8-9 million and under, they will not be able to compete game in and game out with those that are...
It sure seems that he is correct, with the exception of a team catching a player that is lighting in a bottle.
Its was very enlightening.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Football is going to suck no matter what now so why not throw all your eggs in Basketball and Baseball?
I'd love to see a basketball national title, and we have the boosters to do it. The problem for us, is that our fans won't support the team in November/December because they are too busy muh der huntn. It takes everything to make a sport successful.

So many think it's just about NIL now, and it's not. You still have to show up to games (all season long) and have good coaches. 3-pronged stool.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
He said that if a team is only spending 8-9 million and under, they will not be able to compete game in and game out with those that are...
Which is why we shouldn't even play that game.

We have to be innovative on the field, and moneyball off the field.

RopeDawg

Feb 24, 2023

We've had the "I ain't giving ...." yada yada conversations.

Here is my questions now that we have heard some numbers. Regardless if it is grass roots efforts or big corp and cigar boys or some combination......

can Mississippi State football raise $9-12 million per year for football?

Obviously, we can raise enough for basketball to be competitive.

I would like to think, if all baseball takes is less than $1million, we can raise more than $1million for baseball and kick ***. I say get baseball $1.5 million for nil.
I would venture to say UK, who overachieved, had one of the lowest Baseball NILs in conference.

Last edited:

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I'd love to see a basketball national title, and we have the boosters to do it. The problem for us, is that our fans won't support the team in November/December because they are too busy muh der huntn. It takes everything to make a sport successful.

So many think it's just about NIL now, and it's not. You still have to show up to games (all season long) and have good coaches. 3-pronged stool.
we have the boosters for a basketball national championship? I disagree.

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
Because winning a natty in a club sport does nothing to move the needle for the university.

Tennessee can be as dominant as they want to be. They still don’t draw 5k per game. Neither does half of our league. The rest of the country doesn’t care. At all.

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
we have the boosters for a basketball national championship? I disagree.
This is our biggest problem. Our big players can’t unite. We can’t spread ourselves thin over the three sports and expect to be great in any of them. If all of the NIL went strictly to football we could be really good like Ole Miss.

RopeDawg

Feb 24, 2023

If instead of staying silent our administration would make it known that is the plan people would definitely up their game. Reason everyone is down on football is because we have no chance. Hell I would make the 6 hour drive to a few games if we were committed and knew we had a plan.

This is where leadership steps up. Marketing.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022

These numbers will make people look back in a few years and say, "You could have a CFP contending roster in 2024 for only $10 million? Who was dumb enough not to pay for that?"

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login