Listening to Bo Bounds this morning - he said Makai Polk...

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
would have more than likely stayed if our NIL program was a bit more organized.

Exact Quote - "There's also strong rumors had Mississippi state had a NIL deal together, Makai Polk would have hung around"

Last edited:

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I don’t know if that is true or not but we seem to be doing pretty good in recruiting and the transfer portal, so we either are doing something right on NIL or it’s not as big of a deal as people like are Bo are making it out to be.

D4L

Aug 2, 2021
There is no such "NIL program". We have two NIL compliance guys, and they work with the student athlete to make sure everything is done right, but there is no 'program'. Out of Left Field interviewed those guys a while back and they really explained what NIL was and wasn't.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
I promise you there's a NIL program at most of the SEC schools. You don't think A&M has some type of structure around theirs.

Of course it takes $$ and someone willing to to do it but their is some "illegal" organization around it. Once they post their hour 1 recording, I'll find the exact quote.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
This seems to be pretty much true anytime somebody says something we don't like.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
There is no such "NIL program". We have two NIL compliance guys, and they work with the student athlete to make sure everything is done right, but there is no 'program'. Out of Left Field interviewed those guys a while back and they really explained what NIL was and wasn't.

If there is no such thing as an NIL program yet, somebody needs to be fired. We need an unofficial point person that can know who we want to give what and help do the organizing that the school isn't supposed to do. I'm assuming we have that or we wouldn't have done as well as we did in recruiting this year. I can't imagine that Polk just wanted an amount to NIL money that we would have been willing to give but we were just disorganized.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
If there is no such thing as an NIL program yet, somebody needs to be fired. We need an unofficial point person that can know who we want to give what and help do the organizing that the school isn't supposed to do. I'm assuming we have that or we wouldn't have done as well as we did in recruiting this year. I can't imagine that Polk just wanted an amount to NIL money that we would have been willing to give but we were just disorganized.

Who you going to fire? No university employee can be involved. This has to come from the fanbase. I guess the Bulldog Club members could do something but we can't even get everyone to join and contribute. Face it, Mississippi State's fanbase is not as large or rich as A&M's or most any other SEC school.

Our NIL deals are better than some or we would not have 9 4 Star WR's and have gotten the recruits we got this year.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
A&M has more $$$ than State but I'm guessing that's what organized looks like.

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
So who is Sixpack sponsoring? I'll throw in $25. Get 100 of us to do the same for that new kicker or some portal guy we want. Tell Fighting Irish he can't criticize any Sixpack NIL dude here.

patdog

May 28, 2007
That's so cute. You think no university employees are involved in NIL programs at schools that are serious about competing in college athletics.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Who you going to fire? No university employee can be involved.

And universities weren't allowed to give recruits money before NIL either, yet serious schools found a way to make it happen.

This has to come from the fanbase. I guess the Bulldog Club members could do something but we can't even get everyone to join and contribute.
It can't realistically come from the fan base. How is the fan base going to know who the coaches want allocate NIL money to? They going to go by who claims an offer on Rivals? You think before NIL, boosters were just randomly giving kids money and hoping it was people their school wanted?

Face it, Mississippi State's fanbase is not as large or rich as A&M's or most any other SEC school.
Which is why we're going to have to be smarter if we are going to compete, just like it has been historically.

Our NIL deals are better than some or we would not have 9 4 Star WR's and have gotten the recruits we got this year.
Right, which tells you we probably have an NIL program and that it's pretty decent. It's possible everybody is just disorganized at this point and we got lucky, but this is a multi-billion dollar industry and the infrastructure that was used for making illegal payments earlier maps pretty easily onto what is needed to organize an NIL program. I would be shocked if most serious P5 schools didn't already have a pretty decent handle on NIL, even if they haven't figured out how to optimize it yet.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
#17 of any sport.

We really should do this. Even if we can't move the needle on anybody, we should be able to give enough to get a football player to pick #17 each year and/or do a quick video saying "Sixpack is the Seventeening Best"

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
So we are supposed to compete with NFL money?

I don't think compete dollar for dollar but there will probably occasionally be borderline prospects, or at least prospects that could improve their draft position with another year, that some money, even if it's a good bit less than they'd get from an NFL deal, might get them to stay an extra year. Not sure how much a year of a legit NFL prospect is worth to us and whether we'd be able to pay enough to make a difference very often.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
And universities weren't allowed to give recruits money before NIL either, yet serious schools found a way to make it happen. Coaches had plausible deniability on all things of this sort, serious schools were the boosters, not the coaches. Coaches would come and go, the boosters remained and guess what they are still there.

It can't realistically come from the fan base. How is the fan base going to know who the coaches want allocate NIL money to? They going to go by who claims an offer on Rivals? You think before NIL, boosters were just randomly giving kids money and hoping it was people their school wanted? I know a lot of guys they want to pay and I just frequent message boards. You don't have to be a University employee to get information.

Which is why we're going to have to be smarter if we are going to compete, just like it has been historically.

Right, which tells you we probably have an NIL program and that it's pretty decent. It's possible everybody is just disorganized at this point and we got lucky, but this is a multi-billion dollar industry and the infrastructure that was used for making illegal payments earlier maps pretty easily onto what is needed to organize an NIL program. I would be shocked if most serious P5 schools didn't already have a pretty decent handle on NIL, even if they haven't figured out how to optimize it yet. Afer this past years recruiting class I am pretty sure our NIL program is more organized than most think . I don't know about you, but I was pleasantly surprised.

Bottom line is it's about fanbase size and the monies it can produce. We are at the bottom of the SEC which is real thing in both. Any compliance or noncompliance by limiting University involvement won't change it. It is about the $$$ spent and let's face it, we will never be leaders until we get a billionaire onboard and several of his friends.

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
No. We pick a guy who brings it every game even if it's only on special teams. Might help him cover the costs of a few books.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
As soon as the NCAA tries to take action here, they will get sued in state court and it will get tied up
forever

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Does Bo ever really praise or say something great abt MSU?

He’s always got recruiting digs.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Dang. I guess Bo didn't have enough left in the Y'all Lifestyle marketing budget to keep Polk on the roster. I really think Polk could have delivered an exponential increase in insulated wine tote sales given the opportunity...

View attachment 23627

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
Rosebowl said on his podcast yesterday that the state Legislature is working on new NIL legislation. I think currently it is real restrictive on how much State of Mississippi Universities can have on organizing NIL Programs.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
"organized" could mean a number of different things in this situation. I suspect you could inject "better funded" or a number of other words in it's place.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Hmm. Possible.

I say we sponsor someone and they wear 17 if they can.

Maybe pair with the "ya boy" votes. Whoever gets the most is who we sponsor.

Heck if most posters gave 20-40 bucks that would be nice little bit of change for football player. Of course fishwater can sponsor a player on his own if he likes.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
State never had enough bagmen or enough committed bagmen in the pre-NIL days and our recruiting suffered because of it.
No doubt we will need even more commitment in the NIL era.
These folks need money up front or a hefty commission. You can bet the big boys provide that kind of funding, along with operational support.
They ain't doing it for love of their school. Hustlers gotta hustle.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Coaches had plausible deniability on all things of this sort, serious schools were the boosters, not the coaches. Coaches would come and go, the boosters remained and guess what they are still there.
Coaches still have plausible deniability. That hasn't changed with NIL.
I know a lot of guys they want to pay and I just frequent message boards. You don't have to be a University employee to get information.
You think you know who they want to pay, and you are probably reasonably accurate with that, but do you know who they want to pay more? And do you know who has already been paid? Boosters weren't willy nilly making payments to recruits without somebody confirming to them it's somebody we want and also that another booster hasn't already paid them what is necessary. The need for that organization hasn't changed with NIL.
Afer this past years recruiting class I am pretty sure our NIL program is more organized than most think . I don't know about you, but I was pleasantly surprised.
I was, and I guarantee you we didn't "accidently" have a good program. Somebody from the university had to be involved, even if it was just funneling information.

Bottom line is it's about fanbase size and the monies it can produce. We are at the bottom of the SEC which is real thing in both. Any compliance or noncompliance by limiting University involvement won't change it. It is about the $$$ spent and let's face it, we will never be leaders until we get a billionaire onboard and several of his friends.
Being organized won't make us rich, but not organizing an NIL program to the best of our ability with the resources we have would be a death sentence, which is why somebody would need to be fired if it hadn't happened. NIL may still be catastrophic for us if it results in a lot of boosters that did not want to deal with the headache of under the table payments being willing to make payments pursuant to an NIL deal. But so far, you can't complain about how we have handled it.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Yep, people are clueless.

The same people buying players before are the ones buying players now. Most players still prefer the under-the-table money because they don't have to screw with taxes. And most people who weren't buying players before aren't going to suddenly do it now because it's a tax deduction. It's nothing but the same ole same ole.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Bo just wants that to be the case. He wants more boosters throwing around money, because it's good for business. He overexaggerates most things and it's understandable why he does it.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login