Listening to Bo Bounds this morning - he said Makai Polk...

Maroonthirteen

Aug 22, 2012
Bo just wants that to be the case. He wants more boosters throwing around money, because it's good for business. He overexaggerates most things and it's understandable why he does it.

Probably. The way he mentions this over and over .. the topic must increase his podcast plays. However he gets inside information. I'm sure someone connected told him this for a reason. True or not.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
"Strong rumors" is a pretty weak declaration. You can come to this board and get 'strong rumors', but let's humor this for a moment.

From what I'm seeing, Makai Polk is a projected 6th-7th rounder. The 6th round signing bonus ranges from $150,000 to $200,000, and if he makes the roster, he's looking at about a $600,000 salary.

I'm asking this in earnest, but do the cigar boys have the juice to beat that (openly) and then pony up at other positions to beat the money the player would get as a mid to late round draft pick?

What do you think in terms of raw dollars it would have taken to keep Polk here another year? $100K? $200K? $300K? $500K?

I mean, he's a great player and I'd love to have him back next year, but we're in year 1 of this. I'm not sure throwing 6 figures at this player or that player is the right way forward, but I could be wrong.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Is Polk going pro or transferring? I thought he has already used his free transfer.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
There’s a part of me that wonders if Bo’s “strong rumor” was a simple comment to the effect of… Polk entered the draft because he or his family need the money which is coincidentally true for like 80-90% of college athletes. If the opportunity is there, they need to cash in.

In typical media fashion, however, Bo is spinning this into some kind of MSU NIL slander. Maybe not, but it’s at least the vibe that I’m getting

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019
I could potentially see this as the case of Polk was transferring. But no way a kid is stick around on an NIL deal vs the NFL. I'm sure there will be some large $$ changing hands in the future but this just screams of a desperate shock jock take

Maroonthirteen

Aug 22, 2012
Also.... he said Jackson St has the largest NIL deal in the state currently. Maybe so, however that's total speculation. Then, he says this Jaxson QB recruit, will be a NIL deal in the millions for OM or OU. Where is the proof of that?

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Also.... he said Jackson St has the largest NIL deal in the state currently. Maybe so, however that's total speculation. Then, he says this Jaxson QB recruit, will be a NIL deal in the millions for OM or OU. Where is the proof of that?
I'll say this, if it's truly possible for all these guys to essentially throw away this type of huge money on football players, then I don't want to hear about the economy anymore.

Junction John

Oct 22, 2014
I know it's cool to pile on Bo and all, but I would take that bet. He talks to people in the know, 100%. He obviously can't share everything he knows or hears on the air.

I think it really pisses some people off that Bo tries to be neutral while he's on the radio, and I don't really understand that.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
would have more than likely stayed if our NIL program was a bit more organized.

Exact Quote - "There's also strong rumors had Mississippi state had a NIL deal together, Makai Polk would have hung around"

I didn't see anyone mention that it is a State law of NIL deals not letting our University be involved directly. If that is true, that has to be changed. I understand Alabama is repealing their law as we speak.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Steve Robertson is in the know just as much or more than Bo.

That should tell you something.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
His inside info could come from a booster.

That booster could be a guy who normally pays players and wants the best players.
That booster could be mad at state Bc they aren’t “all in” on NIL. Which can’t really come from the university anyway.
That booster could be speculating abt Polk.

Which really means it might not even be remotely true.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login