'Local' business, and doing business with them......

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Hate to say it, but I'm not an "always local" guy. You have to earn my money.

Goat has a point...I think. I've seen too many mom and pops open up and fail because of arrogance. In my neck of the woods, a sporting goods store, and two restaurants recently went tits up because of crap service, crap prices, and unwillingness to listen to customers.

The guy running the sporting goods store ONLY wanted to sell soccer stuff. Piles of people, including myself, would go in looking for cleats and equipment for their kids to play football, lacrosse or baseball. He would give you a smug look and say "we don't sell that stuff here". Good riddance.

The 2 restaurants simply overcharged for mediocre food and subpar service. They wanted you to give them the benefit of the doubt, but you couldn't. One night they shut down at 5pm Saturday because of a football game. The place had TVs!!!

Reactions: OG Goat Holder

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
What I dislike is how the big box stores often charge more for local made products than they do for their brand items. Case in point; In my hometown, Kosciusko, the local Walmart is less than 1 mile from Prairie Farms dairy (formerly LuVel dairy). If I go to purchase a gallon of Prairie Farms milk it cost about $1.50 or more than Walmart brand Great Value.

At my local Kroger in Madison they have a few shelves of local Mississippi made stuff, honey, various salsas, BBQ sauce and rubs, local jams and jellies and ALL are noticeably more expensive than the Kroger brand same items.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
What I dislike is how the big box stores often charge more for local made products than they do for their brand items. Case in point; In my hometown, Kosciusko, the local Walmart is less than 1 mile from Prairie Farms dairy (formerly LuVel dairy). If I go to purchase a gallon of Prairie Farms milk it cost about $1.50 or more than Walmart brand Great Value.

At my local Kroger in Madison they have a few shelves of local Mississippi made stuff, honey, various salsas, BBQ sauce and rubs, local jams and jellies and ALL are noticeably more expensive than the Kroger brand same items.

I doubt the blame for the higher cost of the items you mention here falls on Walmart or Kroger. I think it's much more likely a function of the price they're having to pay the producers of those products.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

Is Walmart charging more so they can pull in a bigger margin?...or are they charging more because the product costs them more?
Same with all those other products you mention. Costs are higher so prices reflect that...right?

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Actually no you didn't. But I guess thanks for trying. My question was solely based on evangelicals and coming from a place of curiosity. Please do not use my post to impose your political beliefs.
"And the devil is downhearted, babe, 'Cause there's nothing left for him to claim" -- Don Henley

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
Is Walmart charging more so they can pull in a bigger margin?...or are they charging more because the product costs them more?
Same with all those other products you mention. Costs are higher so prices reflect that...right?
Honestly speaking I have no idea as to any of their profit margins. or why Walmart charges what they do. I just found this disparity odd.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Honestly speaking I have no idea as to any of their profit margins. or why Walmart charges what they do. I just found this disparity odd.
Ive always figured the Great Value brand is inexpensive because it there is no marketing cost(commercial, print, etc) and sales volume allows cost to stay down.
And then small local brands are typically more expensive because raw materials and production costs are higher per unit since they cant operate at the scale of large retailer house brands.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008

It might also interest you to know that apparently Prairie Farms (a huge dairy farmer cooperative) used to be the producer of Great Value milk for Wally world. They lost the contract a few years back.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Goat has a point...I think. I've seen too many mom and pops open up and fail because of arrogance. In my neck of the woods, a sporting goods store, and two restaurants recently went tits up because of crap service, crap prices, and unwillingness to listen to customers.

The guy running the sporting goods store ONLY wanted to sell soccer stuff. Piles of people, including myself, would go in looking for cleats and equipment for their kids to play football, lacrosse or baseball. He would give you a smug look and say "we don't sell that stuff here". Good riddance.

The 2 restaurants simply overcharged for mediocre food and subpar service. They wanted you to give them the benefit of the doubt, but you couldn't. One night they shut down at 5pm Saturday because of a football game. The place had TVs!!!
You said it better than I did. When it's not an easy experience, I usually won't do it.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I would assume there's got to be a quality component too. At the very least, that Prairie Farms is 'fresher', maybe? Who knows.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login