Looking back at recruiting

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
Football recruiting picking up got me looking back at past classes. The 2020 class really caught my eye. A lot of those guys were asked to contribute early and are going to be impact players this season but overall it was a very strong class. The irony is that only 1 or 2 guys in this class were Leach recruits since we hired him after the December signing period. That got me thinking about
1. Where the class ranked in the last 10 years.
2. If we gave Moorhead more time could he have turned it around with these guys as the nucleus like Leach did?

LimaoCabeca

Nov 17, 2022
Football recruiting picking up got me looking back at past classes. The 2020 class really caught my eye. A lot of those guys were asked to contribute early and are going to be impact players this season but overall it was a very strong class. The irony is that only 1 or 2 guys in this class were Leach recruits since we hired him after the December signing period. That got me thinking about
2. If we gave Moorhead more time could he have turned it around with these guys as the nucleus like Leach did?
I think there were at least two guys who could’ve developed into QB punchers if Moorehead stayed.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
No. This was just a case of MS having a solid crop of good players that wanted to go to MSU. It happens fairly often, every few years. Doesn’t matter who the coach is. Croom even had one of these (2007).

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
No. This was just a case of MS having a solid crop of good players that wanted to go to MSU. It happens fairly often, every few years. Doesn’t matter who the coach is. Croom even had one of these (2007).
The 2019 class was higher rated and the hit rate on those guys was much lower

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The 2019 class was higher rated and the hit rate on those guys was much lower
What’s that got to do with what I posted. And I meant 2009, I couldn’t remember which year it was. Bumphis, Cox and them.

I’m not talking about ratings. I’m talking about kids who showed up and contributed.

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
What’s that got to do with what I posted. And I meant 2009, I couldn’t remember which year it was. Bumphis, Cox and them.

I’m not talking about ratings. I’m talking about kids who showed up and contributed.
Moorhead and staff did a good job evaluating and finishing in 2020 compared to 2019. It’s fine to admit that he recruited well but probably wouldn’t have developed those guys

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Moorhead and staff did a good job evaluating and finishing in 2020 compared to 2019. It’s fine to admit that he recruited well but probably wouldn’t have developed those guys
But…..you just said he did NOT recruit well in 2019. So fair to say he just got lucky with the 2020 class.

kired

Aug 22, 2008

2009 was the combined Croom / Mullen class, maybe our best ever.

2020 was the combing Moorhead / Leach class, looks pretty good. Maybe that’s the trick - fire our coach every 2-3 years and rack up on recruits.

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
But…..you just said he did NOT recruit well in 2019. So fair to say he just got lucky with the 2020 class.
2019 class was fine. It should have been better considering the talent in Mississippi that year but 2020 was a very good job by the staff at the time

HuskyBDawg

Nov 26, 2017
Coach Moorhead was a great recruiter. What football player wouldn't want to be on his team? Life is easy...trips to the waterpark, tutors to do your homework, check-with-me-offense, championship rings, free-for-alls in practice....

Reactions: MaroonSadness99
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login