Looks like Chadwell is out

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Not saying it's over, but it appears to be. Massive buy out and Liberty has assured the players and the staff they are going to pour everything into the football program. Liberty has a lot of money. Brand new ELITE facilities. and adding more.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
Liberty and SMU are both schools that can be really good in the future. Both are rich enough to compete with state schools

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Liberty and SMU are both schools that can be really good in the future. Both are rich enough to compete with state schools
SMU is another that made the decision to go all in. It's why they switched conferences. They raised that money in what .. 24 hours?

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Not saying it's over, but it appears to be. Massive buy out and Liberty has assured the players and the staff they are going to pour everything into the football program. Liberty has a lot of money. Brand new ELITE facilities. and adding more.
What is his buyout and where are you getting this information?

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
What is his buyout and where are you getting this information?
For one, I know several alumni that give enough to know. I talked with them when they hired Freeze and moved up to FBS. Per those Alumni, they were going all in.

Now as to the other, some is coming from media for Liberty and then some MSU writers. The buyout is not and will not be disclosed. But it appears to be north of 12 Million per MSU writers.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
What does that matter in today's game? Liberty is not going to be kept out of the playoff winning like this, and they are dedicated to becoming a power house.
How are they going to make the CFP? They are 10-0, unranked in the CFP rankings, #25 in the AP, and unranked/receiving votes in the coaches poll.

Is the CFP expanding to 32 teams?

RiverCityDawg

Dec 30, 2009
"I guess I have to say it. I'm not going to be the Alabama coach."

-Nick Saban circa 2006

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
In a 12-team playoff, Liberty is a Tulane loss away from playing a first round game at Alabama.

He makes $4 million a year and has a $12 million buyout at Liberty.

It would probably take a 4 year/$25 million contract plus the buyout. We could reduce the buyout by playing a future game in Lynchburg.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Current salaries...

Chadwell: $4mm
Barry Odom: $2mm
Jon Sumrall: $1.5mm

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
How are they going to make the CFP? They are 10-0, unranked in the CFP rankings, #25 in the AP, and unranked/receiving votes in the coaches poll.

Is the CFP expanding to 32 teams?
It's pretty simple. The new 12-team College Football Playoff field will include the six highest-ranked conference champions, which will receive automatic bids.

11 different conferences: the ACC, American, Big 12, Big Ten, C-USA, Independent, MAC, Mountain West, PAC-12, SEC and Sun Belt conferences.

6 of those conferences get an automatic bid.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
A CUSA team would have to play an incredible non conference slate to get in the playoffs…. NExt to impossible in my opinion… now that does not mean chadwell wants to go elsewhere eventually. Not a bad gig to make that much money and never really have much pressure. But liberty is never going to be a premier program. No matter how rich the alumni are. What they don’t have and will never have in the CUSA is a large annual tv contract like the sec and big 10 do

Johnnie Come Lately

Nov 4, 2022
For one, I know several alumni that give enough to know. I talked with them when they hired Freeze and moved up to FBS. Per those Alumni, they were going all in.

Now as to the other, some is coming from media for Liberty and then some MSU writers. The buyout is not and will not be disclosed. But it appears to be north of 12 Million per MSU writers.
"The buyout is not and will not be disclosed, but some guy with the nickname Rosebowl is certain that its above $12,000,000"

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
"I guess I have to say it. I'm not going to be the Alabama coach."

-Nick Saban circa 2006
Exactly.

These days, anything is possible.

I've never heard of this coach y'all are talking about. Regardless, I wouldn't rule out anything.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
A CUSA team would have to play an incredible non conference slate to get in the playoffs…. NExt to impossible in my opinion… now that does not mean chadwell wants to go elsewhere eventually. Not a bad gig to make that much money and never really have much pressure. But liberty is never going to be a premier program. No matter how rich the alumni are. What they don’t have and will never have in the CUSA is a large annual tv contract like the sec and big 10 do

6 conference champions will get an automatic bid:

ACC, Big 12, Big Ten, PAC-12, SEC. That's 5. One more out of these will get the other automatic bid:

American, C-USA, Independent, MAC, Mountain West, and Sun Belt conference.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008

ACC, Big 12, Big Ten, PAC-12, SEC. That's 5. One more out of these will get the other automatic bid:

SO, you are saying there is a chance. Not the best odds.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
SO, you are saying there is a chance. Not the best odds.

A better chance there with more money for NIL, a University going all in on Football.

Now, will they get killed in the playoffs, maybe. But MSU has about as hard of a path one could imagine.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
And I will say this, I don't like the new play off system because of this very reason. Liberty has an easier path even though they may not be a good as MSU. There is a case where the top 4 teams in the nation could be in the SEC, and they may not get in. UGA, a 1 loss UT team, Bama, one loss West team.

It's why they need to expand it to 24 teams OR make the strength of Schedule a visible factor.

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
Odom is a competent coach but a no frills former DC. pretty blah hire. Need an offensive coach.

Reactions: AROB44

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
In a 12-team playoff, Liberty is a Tulane loss away from playing a first round game at Alabama.

He makes $4 million a year and has a $12 million buyout at Liberty.

It would probably take a 4 year/$25 million contract plus the buyout. We could reduce the buyout by playing a future game in Lynchburg.
if he agreed to a $12 million buyout he needs to fire his agent.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
It's pretty simple. The new 12-team College Football Playoff field will include the six highest-ranked conference champions, which will receive automatic bids.

11 different conferences: the ACC, American, Big 12, Big Ten, C-USA, Independent, MAC, Mountain West, PAC-12, SEC and Sun Belt conferences.

The format will change with conference realignment.

And no C-USA team has ever made the NY6. Not saying it’s impossible, but I don’t think coaches are staying at Liberty because the path to the CFP is so easy. It would be because of the money and holding out for other jobs.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
What does this have to do with mullen?

Reactions: HailStout

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
It's a misdirection. The wanna squash this until after he finishes his undefeated season.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009

So, Notre Dame

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022

they
And this is why Memphis higher ups aren't pursuing a new conference like they used to. They believe the AAC will receive one of those 6 auto bids. And they finish near or at the top of the AAC in a lot of years. It would be more likely they could get a playoff spot staying in the AAC than if they were in the SEC, BIG12, or BIG10, etc. And if they don't get an auto bid right off, then the AAC Champ will get one of the remaining at-large bids. In essence, they are more likely to get into the playoffs sooner than Miss. State by staying in the AAC.

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022

Pretty sure it’s 5 and 7

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
What does that matter in today's game? Liberty is not going to be kept out of the playoff winning like this, and they are dedicated to becoming a power house.
It means everything to be in the SEC or B1G right now. You play on national tv. You're a household name. You play for national champions. Also it means recruiting at much much higher level.

If the buyout is a problem for us, it won't be for another sec school and he will jump at the opportunity.

Speaking of buyouts, when did a buyout become an obstacle when a coach wants to leave? What did Florida pays us for Dan? Little to nothing is what I recall.

Last edited:

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
It means everything to be in the SEC or B1G right now. You play on national tv. You're a household name. You play for national champions. Also it means recruiting at much much higher level.

If they buyout is a problem for us, it won't be for another sec school and he will jump at the opportunity.

Speaking of buyouts, when did a buyout become an obstacle when a coach wants to leave? What did Florida pays us for Dan? Little to nothing is what I recall.
I’ve been wondering the same thing as your last paragraph. I can’t remember hearing a buyout as an obstacle in the past.

Reactions: josebrown

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012

$12MM x each MSU writer? ***

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login