Looks like Cross is opting out of Liberty Bowl

msu0580

Nov 28, 2021
There is already a precedent set in place of players protecting themselves from harm in the upcoming draft by sitting out their bowl game. There isn’t one for regular season games.

By opting out they are essentially saying they've quit the team which I assume gives them rights to hire agents and get all their financial ducks in a row in anticipation for the draft. From that standpoint it makes perfect sense because beating Texas Tech isn't worth the risk of losing 20 or 30 million dollars. Tackles are pretty well paid athletes. As for the fans though, there is no interest or fun in watching the second string of your favorite team play.

olblue.sixpack

Aug 23, 2012
By opting out they are essentially saying they've quit the team which I assume gives them rights to hire agents and get all their financial ducks in a row in anticipation for the draft. From that standpoint it makes perfect sense because beating Texas Tech isn't worth the risk of losing 20 or 30 million dollars. Tackles are pretty well paid athletes. As for the fans though, there is no interest or fun in watching the second string of your favorite team play.

Those that opt out are essentially saying they are done with college and are ready to start their professional careers. Anybody that takes issue with that is a a borderline hypocrite. At best.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Non playoff bowls are exhibition games

I wouldn't encourage skipping it, but if you want to skip to protect a guaranteed multi million dollar contract, no judgement here.

Regular season games / playoff games? Yeah, you quit on your team if you skip any of those. They actually count and are what you signed up for. Liberty bowls are just gravy and an opportunity for extra practice for next year.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Those that opt out are essentially saying they are done with college and are ready to start their professional careers. Anybody that takes issue with that is a a borderline hypocrite. At best.
Most here wish you would opt out of posting.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I mean really why play football at state? If it’s all about the nfl money. Why would you go to state to play football. Really the games are meaningless if that’s the way you look at it. If you aren’t playing for a handful of schools you likely won’t play for a championship or a ny6 bowl game or a conference title. If this is what college sports has become time to change the rules and let the most talented go straight to the nfl. So they don’t miss out nfl contract money playing meaningless college football games.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Liberty bowls are just gravy and an opportunity for extra practice for next year.
Isn't this a problem, though? I mean we can fix the whole situation by expanding the playoff and giving hope to everyone. It would help our recruiting too, because right now, about 8 teams can collect all the talent because they can factually say, "We are one of about 8 who can get you to the playoff". Who cares if Alabama (or equivalent) still won them all? Other teams would at least get a chance.

Teams that don't make could then go out and sell hope for the next season or whatever in recruiting, while the playoff teams are having to practice.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
So why do we even support football anymore? If only 3-4 programs have a legit shot at the natty and the bowl games are exhibitions then what are we doing here?
You're not wrong, even if those others are trying to denigrate you. An expanded playoff gives hope. The same teams will likely end up winning the natty, like they have throughout the history of the sport, but damn, at least everyone else gets a shot at the big stage.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
Can't abide this BS that he has to protect his signing bonus/contract $, so it's ok to be a quitter. There are insurance policies designed specifically for this that have been available for years. In fact, some schools offer it to players who sign with them, and an athlete can purchase as much as he is willing to pay a premium for.

And don't think it's because they can't afford the premiums. Those can be covered by the upcoming signing bonus with plenty to spare, or in the case of injury, by the proceeds of the settlement. Others have done it. You take one out against your projected contract value as determined by where you're anticipated to be drafted. So, the real financial issue isn't the $ of a contract, it's the unwillingness to pay an insurance premium so you can do the right thing and play in a team sport you volunteered to join.

Cross and any others who quit on their teammates & school are selfish, greedy pussies.

ETA - Another way to stop this BS is for the bowls themselves to offer insurance policies to cover any player with a draft grade, and at the amount equal to their projected draft placement. Those people already spend millions of $ putting these bowls on, so they could easily absorb the cost of premiums.

In the very unlikely event a player gets injured bad enough to lose NFL money, he'd already be set for life with $millions from the insurance policy. Never have to work a day in his life, able to take care of family, etc.

Not playing in the bowl game is quitting...pure & simple. One can argue the reasons for quitting, and/or the validity, but it is quitting, and any who do it are quitters. I do consider that a character issue, given the aforementioned insurance policy options.

Last edited:

Quincy A. Wagstaff

May 28, 2020
Bowl games are meaningless to a 1st round NFL draft pick.

Outside of the CFP, the outcome of all bowl games is meaningless. Cross opting just means more reps for someone who will be on the roster next year. All of these players should do what's best for them. They don't owe anyone anything on December 28th in Memphis in an exhibition game that doesn't matter.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
If this is what college sports has become time to change the rules and let the most talented go straight to the nfl. So they don’t miss out nfl contract money playing meaningless college football games.
I've wished they would do this for years. The NFL is the real problem here.

At minimum, it should be 2 years out of high school rather than 3. You remove a lot of money and opt-out issues right there.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Even in your scenario, State still isn’t in the playoff and is playing in a minor bowl. That solves nothing.

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
How does he not realize that playing in the Liberty Bowl will be his crowning achievement and not a signing bonus and contract that will make him more than everyone on this site? There has never, ever, ever been a single player who has gotten injured in a bowl game between two unranked college teams and had it harm his future earning potential or draft status. Don't even bother looking that up and just trust me because I posted this. Plus, I have never missed a day of work for personal reasons or because I didn't want to go or because I wanted to go out of town when I realized that others rely on me, especially my fans, even when someone else could pick up the slack.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
How does he not realize that playing in the Liberty Bowl will be his crowning achievement and not a signing bonus and contract that will make him more than everyone on this site? There has never, ever, ever been a single player who has gotten injured in a bowl game between two unranked college teams and had it harm his future earning potential or draft status. Don't even bother looking that up and just trust me because I posted this. Plus, I have never missed a day of work for personal reasons or because I didn't want to go or because I wanted to go out of town when I realized that others rely on me, especially my fans, even when someone else could pick up the slack.
It's not about a personal advantage beyond showing you are a man of integrity and not a quitter. Insurance policies remove the idea that these kids are risking their livelihood. Cross is quitting on his team & that stinks.

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
Wow. Someone anonymous on a message board thinks you're lacking in integrity and are a quitter. That's gotta sting. Insurance policies don't cover at 100%, btw. Dude's been a stalwart on the o-line all year and protected Rogers. He could have played somewhere else, but chose my alma mater. Best of luck. Hope he cashes in, has a long, successful NFL career and remembers where he came from.

Last edited:

Quincy A. Wagstaff

May 28, 2020
It's not about a personal advantage beyond showing you are a man of integrity and not a quitter. Insurance policies remove the idea that these kids are risking their livelihood. Cross is quitting on his team & that stinks.

I have a home insurance policy, so my house burning down wouldn't be a problem. I have a life insurance policy, so my wife and kids aren't concerned about the possibility of me dying. I have car insurance, so I don't drive defensively. I have health insurance, so the thought of getting cancer doesn't concern me.

Being made whole financially isn't the only consideration.

bully12

Sep 2, 2012

Agree with this!! How much $$$ has MSU invested in developing Cross, or any player, into a high NFL draft prospect? Cross ain't going to turn around and write MSU a big check to cover what's been spent on him. Least he can do is not bail out on his teammates. He may not care about winning the game, but I'd say that most of his teammates do!!

Feb 23, 2008
I'm with you. Of all these guys in the NFL how many have given anything back?

Yet they whine and cry about how former players are treated. Smoot for example. It's not on record that he gave a dime back. It's their money, their business but don't come crying on statewide radio about the spoon that fed you when you didn't give a crumb back. I can see Dak making a large donation but I'm not sure of any of the others. And it's shame because we've got some bigtime contracts in the league right now. No they aren't obligated to give anything back but we don't run into this with former baseball players. Many of them have made substantial contributions over the years all the while making far less money.

Quincy A. Wagstaff

May 28, 2020
Bowls don’t mean anything. Players would not opt out if they did, whereas coaches also wouldn’t bail right before them. That tells you all you need to know about the bowl system.

Time to nuke it. Expand the playoff.

If you want fewer opt-outs, give cash bonuses to the players for otherwise meaningless bowl games. If the games aren't worth paying the bonuses, don't complain when players opt out.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
What's his payout if he has a serious injury?

That's kinda important to know if the policies actually remove the financial risk. It's easy to make blanket statements involving someone else's financial security for himself and family.

ETA: Or tell me how much the premium is to cover 10-15 million guaranteed + lost future contracts. If in a 1st round pick, I'm projecting way more then 10-15 in future earnings.

Last edited:

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Sure

More playoffs and less crap bowls would make post season play more prestigious/competitive. But organizers/ESPN want exhibition games for profit - so that's not happening.

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
I mean really why play football at state? If it’s all about the nfl money. Why would you go to state to play football. Really the games are meaningless if that’s the way you look at it. If you aren’t playing for a handful of schools you likely won’t play for a championship or a ny6 bowl game or a conference title. If this is what college sports has become time to change the rules and let the most talented go straight to the nfl. So they don’t miss out nfl contract money playing meaningless college football games.

Let’s say you are completing your mechanical engineering degree and have a job lined up that starts 3 months after graduation. The pay for this job is really high. It’s top 1% of all starting salaries. In the time after graduation, but prior to the job starting, you can complete some training and take a test. This training will take up a significant amount of your time. If you score high on the test, the starting pay will significantly increase in most instances.

While in college you were on a team with several other ME’s and some business students who were trying to build a product for an entrepreneurial pitch competition that takes place 2 months after graduation. You were the best ME on the project by far. The project will take up a very significant portion of your time to complete it and go to the competition. It is very unlikely you will have much time for the training for your new job. There is no money for winning the competition, you already have your degree, and it won’t showcase your skills any further to help you in landing a job. In fact, you already have the job. You feel like you have already given the project team your best effort and they have the chance to finish it out. They have a sophomore ME who has been wanting to have a chance to work on the project anyway.

So you decide to (a) do your training for the new job or (b) work on the competition project.

Which option do you take?

olblue.sixpack

Aug 23, 2012
That's kinda important to know if the policies actually remove the financial risk. It's easy to make blanket statements involving someone else's financial security for himself and family.

ETA: Or tell me how much the premium is to cover 10-15 million guaranteed + lost future contracts. If in a 1st round pick, I'm projecting way more then 10-15 in future earnings.

One thing that Jean’s Page and Sixpack have in common. They are both full of posters who love to spend other people’s money.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Some of you ladies need to comprehend that you can not like the choice, but still understand the decision.

tacodawg

Jan 2, 2020
Good for him. If Cross was my son I’d tell him to take the money and run.

Loyalty < Money

Some of y’all are silver spooned.

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
That was a much better analogy than what I was thinking.

Mine was you landed a top job in your industry. Starting salary will have you set for your life if properly managed. If you’re successful enough you’ll potentially have your children and their children set for life. All that’s left is to pass a drug test.

Your friends want to celebrate and have one more night to party. You know drugs will be involved. You know you won’t voluntarily take any, but you can’t be certain you won’t be slipped anything because you’ve seen it happen to your friends.

If you fail the test you can kiss any career in your industry goodbye and you’ll be working a dead end minimum wage job.

Do you have another blowout with your friends or play it safe?

idog

Aug 17, 2010
He isn’t officially making money to play for us so I don’t blame him. However, as soon as these young men start making 6 figures via NIL to play for a school I think it will be justified to expect them to play. At that point you are an employee and with that come job duties/expectations.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
The point is that even if you expand the playoffs it’s not going to stop players from leaving and minor bowls are not going away. There’s too much money to be made.

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
Actually, they become professionals

by definition. They are no longer amature athletes.

And deserve whatever is thrown at them.

That's just the way it is.

The court 17'ed up!

Last edited:

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
He isn’t officially making money to play for us so I don’t blame him. However, as soon as these young men start making 6 figures via NIL to play for a school I think it will be justified to expect them to play. At that point you are an employee and with that come job duties/expectations.

It will be interesting to see if companies creating NIL deals for advertising purposes will put clauses in place that state you must play all possible games for the season if physically able. Basically, they could create the contract in such a way that you must play the bowl game.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010

Depends on how much they are insured for. One guy several years ago had it happen (injury). He had cheaped out a little on his insurance, so it did cost him $ millions,...but even he got enough to live comfortably for the rest of his life.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012

College football as a whole isn’t in charge of when players are allowed to go to the NFL. And the NFL has no incentive to change their rules just so college football can be a better product.

olblue.sixpack

Aug 23, 2012
Depends on how much they are insured for. One guy several years ago had it happen (injury). He had cheaped out a little on his insurance, so it did cost him $ millions,...but even he got enough to live comfortably for the rest of his life.

So in other words, you don’t know. You were just tossing something up against the wall and hope it stuck.

Well, it didn’t.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Bowl Appearance fees are probably inevitable at this point. These bowls are gonna have to pay those "stars" directly to give incentive to those who can opt out.

tired

Sep 16, 2013
Doesn't hurt the guys who will be here next year getting some quality playing time. Millions staring me in the face, or playing in a meaningless game, yeah I know what I'd do.

msu0580

Nov 28, 2021
Can't abide this BS that he has to protect his signing bonus/contract $, so it's ok to be a quitter. There are insurance policies designed specifically for this that have been available for years. In fact, some schools offer it to players who sign with them, and an athlete can purchase as much as he is willing to pay a premium for.

And don't think it's because they can't afford the premiums. Those can be covered by the upcoming signing bonus with plenty to spare, or in the case of injury, by the proceeds of the settlement. Others have done it. You take one out against your projected contract value as determined by where you're anticipated to be drafted. So, the real financial issue isn't the $ of a contract, it's the unwillingness to pay an insurance premium so you can do the right thing and play in a team sport you volunteered to join.

Cross and any others who quit on their teammates & school are selfish, greedy pussies.

ETA - Another way to stop this BS is for the bowls themselves to offer insurance policies to cover any player with a draft grade, and at the amount equal to their projected draft placement. Those people already spend millions of $ putting these bowls on, so they could easily absorb the cost of premiums.

In the very unlikely event a player gets injured bad enough to lose NFL money, he'd already be set for life with $millions from the insurance policy. Never have to work a day in his life, able to take care of family, etc.

Not playing in the bowl game is quitting...pure & simple. One can argue the reasons for quitting, and/or the validity, but it is quitting, and any who do it are quitters. I do consider that a character issue, given the aforementioned insurance policy options.

I had not thought of that and freely admit I stand corrected. I'm not sure what a policy like that would cost but I would think in some cases even the university may be willing to foot the bill if the premiums aren't ridiculous and it allows them to keep a key player at a important position. In their defense you are talking about in many cases, someone from an economically lacking background. And it seems they always have large gathering of friends and family around them who want to capitalize on their hard work. They also have the Marcus Dupree type trusted advisors more than willing to take what they make. In many cases these players are young men who have absolutely no concept nor the ability to comprehend a signing bonus and contract worth 20 or 30 million dollars with nothing standing in the way but one game they could possibly get hurt in. To carry it even further, there is the present MSU situation where a bowl win could put them in the top 25 in the final ranking. I don't know about Texas Tech, but hypothetically let's say they have no players with enough value to opt out and MSU has several who do. Essentially you have a 2nd team playing a first team and a potential bowl loss may have an effect on recruiting had a win by MSU put them in the final rankings.

Sorry for the long post but what you've said makes sense does offer a pretty reasonable solution to all this and one I'm sure the player in question is aware of. With that said I'm going to go ahead and agree that he is letting his team and coaches down, not to mention a part, be it small or not, in hurting recruiting that will follow in a few weeks after the game. I do know this, a good example was Oklahoma crushing Florida in the bowl game last year. These games do not have the feel nor the attraction to take time out to watch when you know those key players aren't there. Part of the passion of college football is the belief that these kids are a team with pride in the university they represent and a love for each other. Opting out kind of throws that along with the entertainment our of the ball park.

msu0580

Nov 28, 2021
So in other words, you don’t know. You were just tossing something up against the wall and hope it stuck.

Well, it didn’t.

Not necessarily. Insurance is a business who bet that nothing bad will happen to you and you pay premiums believing it might and you're not willing to take the risk. If you have a million dollar home but you don't want to spend the extra $1200 a year to insure it for that much and instead insure it for half that amount, then you've no one to blame but yourself if it burns down. If they have the option to purchase a policy and can probably find someone willing to pay the premium for them who has an insurable interest in them then they'd be a fool not to already have that policy in place earlier in the season. It's not like the bowl game is a bigger risk than the other 12 games. My guess would be if his value in the NFL was that much then it was recognized at the beginning of the year and a policy was purchased.

I've reluctantly agreed with these kids who opted out even if it made me lose interest in whatever bowl they were in until now. Being reminded of the ability to purchase protection against that makes me see them as the ungrateful f***s they really are.

msu0580

Nov 28, 2021
If a third option existed in that situation where you could purchase something that eliminated the fear of losing that extra money and allowed you to work on the project knowing you were not going to lose that money as it does in this particular situation then that would be the logical choice. Especially if the backers of the project recognized your skills were so important to them finishing it and were willing to foot the bill. Otherwise it would be hard for them to cast insults at you and try to make you feel bad when they all know damn well they wouldn't be willing to give up an opportunity for a much better life just to complete one project that will in no way enhance their life

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login