Looks like Stanford, Cal and SMU could be ACC members tonight

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
Nobody’s getting out of the grant of rights, or getting it reduced. That’s just not going to happen. The incentive to change your vote is you can either stay in at the current revenue or you can stay in at an additional $2M-$8M revenue per year.
In that case I'm a No vote. Adding 3 more schools that no other conference wants just makes it harder to win votes in future years. I think it's worth $2M to $8M per year for a few more years (especially if it's closer to 2 than 8) to keep the power.

Reactions: Perd Hapley

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
What is going to happen but I would take Florida State Clemson and Virginia Tech. I would entertain discussions from Georgia Tech, Louisville, Boston College, and North Carolina State. I would love to have Duke, Wake Forrest, and North Carolina State, but there's no way you will get them to leave the ACC unless it just disbands, which is never going ever going to happen.

I don't want any part of Miami just personal. They tend to ruin anything they're part of and their alumni are huge ********.

patdog

May 28, 2007
What is going to happen but I would take Florida State Clemson and Virginia Tech. I would entertain discussions from Georgia Tech, Louisville, Boston College, and North Carolina State. I would love to have Duke, Wake Forrest, and North Carolina State, but there's no way you will get them to leave the ACC unless it just disbands, which is never going ever going to happen.

I don't want any part of Miami just personal. They tend to ruin anything they're part of and their alumni are huge ********.
When the time comes, SEC primary targets will be FSU, Clemson, North Carolina and one of the Virginia schools. Backup plan will be Miami, NC State and the other Virginia school. BC, Louisville, GA Tech, Duke and Wake won't make the cut.

Reactions: Dawgg

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Love it. Someone has to teach those kids about the power of money and the power a small number of wealthy people have to affect the lives of others. Players are going to just have to get used to those long flights across the country. Use that time to study. And if football is more expensive, just cut men's swimming and volleyball. Those are just Olympic sports anyway.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
When the time comes, SEC primary targets will be FSU, Clemson, North Carolina and one of the Virginia schools. Backup plan will be Miami, NC State and the other Virginia school. BC, Louisville, GA Tech, Duke and Wake won't make the cut.
GT gave the SEC the middle figure when they left. They burned their bridge. That was probably one of the biggest blunders in history since Hitler declared war on the United States.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
Love it. Someone has to teach those kids about the power of money and the power a small number of wealthy people have to affect the lives of others. Players are going to just have to get used to those long flights across the country. Use that time to study. And if football is more expensive, just cut men's swimming and volleyball. Those are just Olympic sports anyway.
God forbid a kid who works hard at a sport that isn’t football gets a chance to compete in college.

Reactions: 17itdawg and Dawgg

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
GT gave the SEC the middle figure when they left. They burned their bridge. That was probably one of the biggest blunders in history since Hitler declared war on the United States.
That was 60 years ago. I'm not even sure (and kind of doubt) that anybody that was a president, AD, or even a board member at any of those schools is still alive and, even if they are, I doubt they're the still in any sort of position of power at those individual institutions. We've had 6 conference commissioners since then.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

None of that matters in today’s times, but what does matter is that Georgia Tech brings absolutely nothing to the table for expansion. They are in the same state and only 45 minutes away from an SEC charter member which also has a much bigger enrollment and national alumni footprint. That’s why they are a non-take under any scenario.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
God forbid a kid who works hard at a sport that isn’t football gets a chance to compete in college.
This is a fair point, but you can counter with the fact that not many people care about those sports. So - if there's no real market for it, why have it? Same with jobs.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Is it all about money?? Whatever happen to fan convenience to attend a home game. Do the school presidents not care about students and alumni? Greed has always stayed hidden in college sports but today in runs around in broad daylight. Not good.

One thing is for sure, the days of a bunch of broke college kids all throwing in together on a road trip to go to an away game are sure looking to be dwindling.

Imagine a bunch of those kids at Miami trying to make the away game at Stanford. They’d have to start driving like 10 days before the game.

Reactions: patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
One thing is for sure, the days of a bunch of broke college kids all throwing in together on a road trip to go to an away game are sure looking to be dwindling.

Imagine a bunch of those kids at Miami trying to make the away game at Stanford. They’d have to start driving like 10 days before the game.
It's really a very sad time. I get that everyone's chasing the money, but I think losing the regional conferences is a bad thing for college football. I'd much rather go back to 6 major conferences of 10-12 teams each (before the ACC killed the Big East) with everyone playing 8 conference games plus 2 P6 non-conference games.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
This is a fair point, but you can counter with the fact that not many people care about those sports. So - if there's no real market for it, why have it? Same with jobs.
Because the job of colleges is supposed to be to make kids ready for the real world. going to college while having to practice your *** off for a sport teaches a level of responsibility I wish I had learned. I have zero issue with the fact that football is how the sausage gets made. But cancelling other sports in this ridiculous arms race is just insanity. It spits in the face of what college is supposed to be.
This to me is the saddest part of all this. We knew the colleges didn’t give a **** about their student atheletes, but now they are openly admitting it.

Reactions: 17itdawg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Because the job of colleges is supposed to be to make kids ready for the real world. going to college while having to practice your *** off for a sport teaches a level of responsibility I wish I had learned. I have zero issue with the fact that football is how the sausage gets made. But cancelling other sports in this ridiculous arms race is just insanity. It spits in the face of what college is supposed to be.
This to me is the saddest part of all this. We knew the colleges didn’t give a **** about their student atheletes, but now they are openly admitting it.
There has to be a balance of realism and idealism. The reality of college sports now is that even the athletes in those lesser sports get steered away from hard majors (which are generally the useful ones). The coaches are looking out for themselves and that means winning, which means endless practice and minimization of actual school. So this contributes to the problem as well, because track/etc. athletes put in as much time as football.

So you're right, the schools don't care. But there's no boogeyman to blame, it just happens over time. When the realism outweighs the idealism by too much, things shift to correct the balance. But hey, as long as the TV money is rolling in, and the school relies on its boosters to fund NIL (AND the BC and things like that) - AND the boosters keep doing it, things won't shift.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006

Drive?

It’s MUCH cheaper and cost effective to fly since both schools are based in major metro areas.

They ain’t flying out of GTR.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012

If they can afford to go to Miami, I assume they can afford to fly. Your point stands though. Reducing the number of drivable away destinations from your schedule doesn't do anybody any good and takes away some of what makes college football college football.

This is one of the reasons I think the SEC will be more attractive than the Big Ten if/when any ACC members want to jump.

patdog

May 28, 2007
If they can afford to go to Miami, I assume they can afford to fly. Your point stands though. Reducing the number of drivable away destinations from your schedule doesn't do anybody any good and takes away some of what makes college football college football.

This is one of the reasons I think the SEC will be more attractive than the Big Ten if/when any ACC members want to jump.
Agree about the SEC. Every move it’s made makes sense (even Missouri). I think long term, the SEC is much better positioned than the Big 10.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Drive?

It’s MUCH cheaper and cost effective to fly since both schools are based in major metro areas.

They ain’t flying out of GTR.

Its not cheaper at all for 4-5 kids to all pay a combined $2500 or so for plane tickets (plus airport parking or rideshare, rental car for 2-3 days, etc.) than it is for them to all pile into something that gets like 25 MPG highway and just have the $800-$900 in gas to worry about, while rotating drivers.

Of course, its a much bigger pain in the ***, but still cheaper. All that PITA stuff is much more tolerable when you’re younger and full of piss and vinegar.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

This is one thing that may end up saving college sports, at least for the SEC. If we expand, which we will, and if we remain the dominant conference, which we will, you could almost be like 'well the SEC is the only conference that matters'. And that might be true, which would not be a good thing. For example, having over 50% SEC teams in the CWS or playoffs isn't good for the game. Sure it's probably fair but still not a good thing.

HOWEVER......it may succeed in bringing back the regular season and rivalries, at least in football. If we bring Clemson and FSU on, well there you go, 2 more conference rivalries. We brought Texas and Texas A&M back, not to mention OU/Texas. Bring on North Carolina, boom, you have something there with Kentucky basketball (and maybe even football - the blue bowl or something, I don't know). Or maybe get Oklahoma State or Georgia Tech, rather than Virginia. It may or may not work, but I think that could be a saving grace. Basically I'm saying quality of matchups over quantity of eyeballs in the old system. In the streaming age, quality may win out over time, though I don't think anyone is truly thinking long term.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Its not cheaper at all for 4-5 kids to all pay a combined $2500 or so for plane tickets (plus airport parking or rideshare, rental car for 2-3 days, etc.) than it is for them to all pile into something that gets like 25 MPG highway and just have the $800-$900 in gas to worry about, while rotating drivers.

Of course, its a much bigger pain in the ***, but still cheaper. All that PITA stuff is much more tolerable when you’re younger and full of piss and vinegar.

TLDR — It can be done cheaper than $2,500.

Google Flights are your friend.

$264 * 5 = $1,320

IMG_6324.jpeg

Hotel room for two nights: $300 before taxes and fees— call it $400. Double the cost here if you need more room.

IMG_6325.jpeg

No need for a rental car.

Just get a Uber or Taxi to take you there and back.

That hotel is within walking distance of the stadium and by downtown Palo Alto.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
None of that matters in today’s times, but what does matter is that Georgia Tech brings absolutely nothing to the table for expansion. They are in the same state and only 45 minutes away from an SEC charter member which also has a much bigger enrollment and national alumni footprint. That’s why they are a non-take under any scenario.
All of the Georgia Tech has to offer is completely sewing up all of Atlanta's TV CFB viewership.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
TLDR — It can be done cheaper than $2,500.

Google Flights are your friend.

$264 * 5 = $1,320

View attachment 393371

Hotel room for two nights: $300 before taxes and fees— call it $400. Double the cost here if you need more room.

View attachment 393383

No need for a rental car.

Just get a Uber or Taxi to take you there and back.

That hotel is within walking distance of the stadium and by downtown Palo Alto.

That’s still $500 more than gas, even at bargain basement JetBlue prices. And FYI, you selected a weekend that Stanford doesn’t have a home game for your search. Not that its a massive difference for metro area the size of SF and as much air traffic as they handle, but I’d bet you have at least 10,000-15,000 more folks flying in on one of those weekends than you would otherwise, which is going to drive up airline ticket prices at least a little bit more. And the Palo Alto hotels (especially close to campus) are also going to be much higher.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
That’s still $500 more than gas, even at bargain basement JetBlue prices. And FYI, you selected a weekend that Stanford doesn’t have a home game for your search. Not that its a massive difference for metro area the size of SF and as much air traffic as they handle, but I’d bet you have at least 10,000-15,000 more folks flying in on one of those weekends than you would otherwise, which is going to drive up airline ticket prices at least a little bit more.
I chose the first weekend that came to mind. 🙂

Eh. Airline flight issues will be less worrisome than you think.

Miami has MIA & FLL

The Bay Area has SFO, SJC, & OAK

This ain’t GTR.

ETA: I don’t know about you but I’d gladly pay $100 more to save so much time. I bet the four other kids would do the same.

Last edited:

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
That’s still $500 more than gas, even at bargain basement JetBlue prices. And FYI, you selected a weekend that Stanford doesn’t have a home game for your search. Not that its a massive difference for metro area the size of SF and as much air traffic as they handle, but I’d bet you have at least 10,000-15,000 more folks flying in on one of those weekends than you would otherwise, which is going to drive up airline ticket prices at least a little bit more. And the Palo Alto hotels (especially close to campus) are also going to be much higher.
Here is Sep 22 & 23 for their home game against Arizona… a conference game. Same ballpark as what Eagle posted.

516FAB17-4D16-41C2-BC9B-DC5447EF2E61.jpeg

ETA: forgot the flights:
7C4CBB5B-F620-4491-9A5F-3185E9BD5B1C.jpeg

5F82037E-6B9F-42BA-9E10-1208754C6773.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I chose the first weekend that came to mind. 🙂

Eh. Airline flight issues will be less worrisome than you think.

Miami has MIA & FLL

The Bay Area has SFO, SJC, & OAK

This ain’t GTR.

ETA: I don’t know about you but I’d gladly pay $100 more to save so much time. I bet the four other kids would do the same.
Here is Sep 22 & 23 for their home game against Arizona… a conference game. Same ballpark as what Eagle posted.

View attachment 393475

ETA: forgot the flights:
View attachment 393487

View attachment 393490

I guess I need to move to Miami then and take advantage of all this cheap air travel.

Its literally double or triple when flying out of Nashville, Birmingham, Memphis, etc.

I will say I’m not touching Frontier though. Heard too many horror stories.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I’ve heard the same about Frontier.

Just remember that Miami and the Bay Area have multiple airports serving them and therefore are different than the other cities you’ve mentioned: There’s more competition & more opportunities for cheaper flights.

I used to fly to the Bay Area to see family often and I could usually find a cheap flight— sometimes it was San Francisco and other times it was San Jose. I never really considered Oakland since it covers the East Bay and I was going to Palo Alto.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I’ve heard the same about Frontier.

Just remember that Miami and the Bay Area have multiple airports serving them and therefore are different than the other cities you’ve mentioned: There’s more competition & more opportunities for cheaper flights.

I used to fly to the Bay Area to see family often and I could usually find a cheap flight— sometimes it was San Francisco and other times it was San Jose. I never really considered Oakland since it covers the East Bay and I was going to Palo Alto.

Heard that, it also seems like flights in general are cheaper right now than this same time last year. Not sure if its other economic factors driving down the cost or what, but its crazy to think about cross country flights being under $300 with any carrier. It was about double that the last few times I went out west.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Leading up to a 2 timezone rule. No more that 3 flights a season across two US time zones. Might even see students go to Tues/Thurs classes only as well. Imagine weather delays and what that will do to some schedules.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I guess I need to move to Miami then and take advantage of all this cheap air travel.

Its literally double or triple when flying out of Nashville, Birmingham, Memphis, etc.

Yep, you're not wrong. I just checked Birmingham and Memphis to San Fran on those same dates and they start at about $500.

Since I live in the Dallas area, I thought I'd check DFW/DAL to SFO.
DFW started at $100. Even American and Alaska Airlines (out of DAL) was as low as $163. That seems really low to me for some reason.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login