Looks like the 12-team playoff and Texas & Okie to the SEC may come early.

patdog

May 28, 2007

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Once the Pac-12 realized the 'alliance' was sham, expanding the playoff was just a matter of time, but I don't see Texas and OU leaving early unless ESPN ponies up enough money to satisfy Fox.

ESPN benefits financially because they'll get Texas and OU exclusively under their umbrella, but Fox would have to get something out of the deal to negate the effect of losing Texas and OU a year early. I'm not sure Fox really has an incentive to renegotiate the Big 12 at this point other than locking up that "Tier 2" Power Conference (Not Big Ten/SEC, but not a G5 either) segment with them and the Pac-12.

patdog

May 28, 2007
From reading the Orange Bloods story, it's essentially a race between the PAC-12 and Big 12 to see which one can get its next media rights deal done. The winner will be in much better position to raid the other for the best schools from that conference. But, any changes to the current media rights deal has to be by unanimous vote. So, they'd have to let Tex & Okie out early in exchange for their votes. I tend to agree with you, but Dennis Dodd is also reporting that negotiations to let them go early are going on.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
From reading the Orange Bloods story, it's essentially a race between the PAC-12 and Big 12 to see which one can get its next media rights deal done. The winner will be in much better position to raid the other for the best schools from that conference. But, any changes to the current media rights deal has to be by unanimous vote. So, they'd have to let Tex & Okie out early in exchange for their votes. I tend to agree with you, but Dennis Dodd is also reporting that negotiations to let them go early are going on.

I didn't think about OU and Texas basically holding their media rights votes as ransom. Ok... I guess there is a chance.

patdog

May 28, 2007
If they want to get to the SEC a year or 2 earlier (they do), why wouldn't they?

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
There are moments where I want more SEC teams. North Carolina and NC State.... Virginia and Virginia Tech... and so on and so forth to keep up with the Big Ten. Then there are times I'm worried it might water down the SEC brand and image. If we do add I hope it is no more than 4 teams and no Notre Damed.

patdog

May 28, 2007
If/when the SEC adds more teams, it will be a blockbuster deal like adding Texas/Okie or the Big 10 adding USC/UCLA. I think they’d be looking at UNC, FSU, Clemson & either UVA or VT. Not sure schools like Miami, GA Tech or NC State would make the cut.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login