Looks like the SEC office slipped one by the members...

Dawgpile

May 23, 2006
Yeah, they voted for the supplemental income last year for Covid, but this detail slipped by them.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
July 15. Any particular reason why that date was chosen?

Just seems odd when a lot of the fiscal years for colleges and universities seem to begin on July 1.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Looks to me like the rest of the SEC doesn't really trust Texas and/or Oklahoma so they added the fee. As others have pointed out, the presidents voted for it unanimously, so it didn't get slipped by the members, just the public. As a practical matter, it's hard to see any school wanting to leave, but if one did, this won't stop them.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I just thought it interesting that some of the schools were unaware.

Well, I'm not sure who Kristi Dosh is, but her example of people unaware of the change was "folks I know across the SEC".

Well, is that Presidents? ADs? Assistant ADs? Associate ADs? Associate Assistant ADs? Assistant to the Associate ADs? AD Emerituses? Head Coaches? Position Coaches? Random SIDs? Waterboys? Towel boys? Ball girls? Grad Transfers? Walk-On Transfers? Presidents of the Baptist Student Unions? Fans? Podcasters? Costumed Mascots? Live Mascots? Transients that sleep under the bleachers? The Vandy Whistler? Whistler's Mother?

I doubt that "schools were unaware". I highly doubt Sankey just plugged that in there and hoped the Presidents all rubber-stamped it.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Looks to me like the rest of the SEC doesn't really trust Texas and/or Oklahoma so they added the fee. As others have pointed out, the presidents voted for it unanimously, so it didn't get slipped by the members, just the public. As a practical matter, it's hard to see any school wanting to leave, but if one did, this won't stop them.

The bylaws went into effect on January 14th of last year. That was like 6 months before any of the smoke with Texas and Oklahoma even started.

patdog

May 28, 2007
You're probably right, but that deal had been in the works for a year before it ever got leaked to the public, and all 14 presidents knew about it.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login